1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy,
According to my user's manual for my Kimber Custom Target .45, the recoil spring should be replaced approximately every 2000 rounds.
Well, I'm at 2000 rounds now, and was wondering if anybody knows which new spring (poundage or #) to replace by old recoil spring with.

------------------
I accept cookies....and milk!

·
Registered
53 Posts
According to Kimber, the factory spring is 16.5 Pound in a classic custom. I am shooting an 18.5 pound wolfe variable in mine. 7.95 from brownells. don't forget to change the firing pin spring at the same time. Wolfe includes it with the recoil spring.

------------------
Jerk

If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir. -Albert :)

Originally posted by Jerk:
According to Kimber, the factory spring is 16.5 Pound in a classic custom. I am shooting an 18.5 pound wolfe variable in mine. 7.95 from brownells. don't forget to change the firing pin spring at the same time. Wolfe includes it with the recoil spring.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Per Jerk, stock spring on a FS .45 ACP 1911 is usually 16.5 lbs, which is correct. Almost every gunsmith I consulted regarding this issue recommended 18.5 lbs. and nothing heavier. Of course, this will depend if your pistol will cycle reliably with the heavier spring on the loads you are shooting.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

[This message has been edited by WilDJ (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by WilDJ:
Per Jerk, stock spring on a FS .45 ACP 1911 is usually 16.5 lbs, which is correct. Almost every gunsmith I consulted regarding this issue recommended 18.5 lbs. and nothing heavier. Of course, this will depend if your pistol will cycle reliably with the heavier spring on the loads you are shooting.

Wild,
Please bear with me and my dumb questions.. but does a heavier spring like 18.5 lb provide more recoil absporption than the 16.5? -Albert

·
Registered
166 Posts
Albert,
Yes it certainly does. Also to point out, the heavier spring gets, the more stress the frame receives on the slide. Again, this is one of the pointers I received from the gunsmiths I consulted which is probably the reason why they do not want me to go no higher than 18.5 lbs.

------------------
Protect LIFE...you only have ONE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts