1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really care for the black on black BoMar style adjustable sights on the PM7, especially after having TruGlo TFOs on my carry gun.

I was thinking that putting a fiber optic sight on the front would work well and leave the adjustable rear sight the way it is. Any suggestion for something that's easy to change on the PM7 without any modification to the sight or the slide?

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
Like these?

They DO make a big difference in acquiring your sight picture...Especially for old eyes like mine. These were made in a limited run and I don't think they are available any longer but I could be wrong. Some one else may know where you could get some.

Since I'm posting pics:

Take care,
Art

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I looked at Brownells. I ordered their catalog nearly a month ago and still haven't gotten it. I love when people just post a link to a site with 100,000 products as if that's helpful. I'm not an idiot. I already looked there and came up with a ton of results. I was hoping for a specific suggestion on some sights because, like I said, some require fitting or modification to the slide and/or sight to make them fit.

I appreciate the link, but if you're not really interested in helping someone out or answering a specific question with a specific answer, just don't post.

I didn't ask for a website where I can get sights, I asked specifically for what fiber optic sights are you guys using if that's the route you went.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noklue3 said:

They DO make a big difference in acquiring your sight picture...Especially for old eyes like mine. These were made in a limited run and I don't think they are available any longer but I could be wrong. Some one else may know where you could get some.

Since I'm posting pics:

Take care,
Art
Art, I've seen sights like that, they still make a number of versions. What make/model are they? Do you remember any specifics on the width, height, and what not?

·
Registered
535 Posts
:scratch: What year production Pointman do you have? New production is probably pretty straightforward but the older ones had a unique dovetail cut.

A friend of mine has a PMA-S in .45 that has the same front sight as my RZ-10.

Both of which have the unique cut which is a frustration in sourcing an aftermarket sight IMHO. Hopefully you have a cut that allows a more readily available selection. If you have a caliper can you measure the depth of the dovetail? Confirm whether it looks to be .075 or .090 deep and you should know whether you are out of the woods, hope for .075

Not trying to cast a dark cloud over your search, maybe I am just venting about my own which isn't complete.

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
CAS is correct, they have an odd dovetail. I'll let Dave explain what they are.

Art

·
Registered
535 Posts
If you decide to have something made up, depending on necessary height perhaps we could look at a group buy through the forum if they allow such a thing here. I have done several through Motorcycle forums and they seem to be a win-win for vendor and consumer.

I did some checking with one popular manufacturer and a one-off Fiber optic was $100. I can't recall the quota from their email reply but 5 seems right as the number required to drop the price substantially to around $50

You can PM or email me if you like so you don't have to retrace all of my steps, I'll share what I know and you can take it or leave it.

Of course if you are talking about a new Pointman this might all be unnecassary as I think they are a more common cut now from what I have read.

As Art has said, let's wait and see what Dave Severns has to say about it, he should be along eventually and is probably the best resource this subforum could ever hope for.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the help. I'm picking the gun up on Wednesday. It's a NIB gun, but I don't know when it was manufactured. I'll let you know when I pick it up. I don't have a caliper yet, I need to get one since I'm going to start reloading here in the next couple weeks.

Anyway, like I said, I'll get back to you guys and if a group buy is good for everyone, that'd be great. I'll check with some DW owners on another forum I use and see if anyone is interested. If that's the route we go and it takes time to find enough buyers, I certainly don't mind waiting, I just know that I'll definitely want to do something in the future about the all black sights. Since it's not going to be a carry gun, at least for now, I'm more interested in a target set up.

I love the TFOs on my XD but they have pretty big spots on them for low light. The gun shoots well, but I haven't been doing bullseye shooting either looking for sub 2" groups...

·
Premium Member
10,798 Posts
No group buys allowed on the forum but what you do by PM is up to you.. ;)

·
Registered
137 Posts
jtkratzer

I'm not sure what the sight cut is on the PM7, but if it is the same as a PMA-S or PM9, EGW sells a front fiber optic sight that will fit that dovetail. I assume that it is the same.

You can find the dovetail specs on this site, I don't remember exactly what they are. I have them on both my PMA and PM9 and they are excellent.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Okay, moving on guys... It is Christmas so play nice.

Kratzer, I would bet a cold one that you won't have any trouble with a new Pointman because I think they have "conformed" some and are now using a "Novak" cut in which case Brownells or Midway will have an assortment for you whereas I am outta luck with the odd cut on an early Razorback.

Dawson Precision and Brazos Custom come to mind in addition to EGW which was mentioned. I have experience with EGW and they are first rate to deal with in quality and customer service. I recommend Aman Patel or George at EGW.

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
If your gun has a "normal" DT cut then here are my two favorites. I have installed dozens of each. The Brazos Custom is a long sight with a very bright FO rod. It is also made of pretty hard steel. It fits most DTs without too much fitting. The EGW sight is a little oversize.
The Caspian FO sight is also easy to fit and a good bit shorter than the Brazos.
The Caspian is offered in one height - .185". The Brazos is available in several different heights.
Each comes with extra FO rods. Brownells carries the Brazos in the Kimber/Novak DT. The Caspian is available in both common DT cuts.
Both are .125" wide. Catalog # is 985-000-003 for the Brazos and 168-203-600.

·
Registered
8,648 Posts
Older vintage Pointman models used a .090" deep dovetail, for which no f.o. sight is commercially made. I made a few hundred several years ago, but have not had time to make any more since. The newer DWs use a .075" deep dovetail, and sights are commonly available now.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, my wife surprised me with it today. I wasn't expecting it until tomorrow. I'll see what I can find out.

·
Registered
632 Posts
great thread people!

I've also been interested in possibly changing out my front sight on my new CZ/DW*Razorback. I actually have already had to change out the front sight to a .190' sight so that my POI*was correct at 25 yards but I'd sure like to get a FO sight for the pistol instead. I*also know tha tthe dovetails used to be "irregular" on DW*pistols but am really not sure about the actual dimentions on them.

I'm looking to call EGW or another smith for some assistance installing a square bottomed FPS, bushing and slide stop dimple. I will probably just have the front sight done at the same time. We'll see. Keep us posted.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Nick, EGW offers a F/O that should fit a new one like yours. I was told that Razorbacks went to the standard "Novak" cut of .330" x 65 degrees x .075 deep just prior to the Razorback Project. However, some instock Pointman slides may have been used because they were on hand.

I offer this, sorry I forgot where I pasted it from when I was researching and more than likely it was the thread Plinkster linked earlier. Let's just say I'm not selllin' it and it is for educational purposes:) :

DW PM Major front cut .330 wide x 65 deg x .090 deep. So evidently not all DW's are the same.

My non FCS early RZ has the same cut as the Pointman mentioned.

I like the term Basterd Dovetail cut, I had another name in mind but I think that one works just fine. Seems to relieve the frustration a touch.

·
Registered
535 Posts
nickE10mm said:
Thanks CAS.... I'll look around for some .330" wide x 65 degrees x .075 deep front sights ... being .190" high. :)
You're Welcome, I'm glad I could offer information...

But keep in mind that I am not speaking from experience and am only offering information I uncovered in the quest for a sight to fit my own RZ. Brownells often lists dovetail dimensions for sights in their item descriptions at least in the catalog, I can't vouch for the website. After you read several you might notice that in one place it is called out by dimensions and in another it is referred to as a "Novak cut".

Good Luck!

1 - 20 of 42 Posts