1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking specifically for a DA/SA pistol in 9mm. This would be for range fun only. Any ideas from anyone are welcome.

I would like a full/duty size, but I have pretty small paws, so I might have to go with a compact or single stack. ( is there such a thing as a stack and a half ? ) There is a gun show next week in my area, and would like to shop around, and hold a few different models, if possible.

Manual safety is optional, but not preferred

I think I have it narrowed it down to these 4 -

Sig SP2022
HK P30
FNX-9
Beretta PX4 Storm

Advice or suggestions from owners of any of these, or any other DA/SA pistols would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Reactions: kilowatt3

·
Registered
100 Posts
The only DA/SA 9mm I have is a '90-ish vintage Ruger P85 MkII. It's big, heavy, and blocky for carry, but an absolute gem for a range/pinker.

If you've got small mitts, it might be a little much, but I'd see if you can find one (or maybe a P89) to handle & check it out.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
A discussion of TDA is incomplete if the CZ75 platform in either full size or compact are not included. Extremely accurate and reliable design that has been around for decades. The Ergonomics of the grip is unsurpassed IMO by those mentioned by the OP.

Admittedly. I have not owned one but 3rd Gen S&W TDA receive a lot of chatter. but they are discontinued which may or may not be a concern for you.

·
Registered
633 Posts
For those of us not blessed with giant meat hooks, I have two recommendations. A Sig P226, or a Beretta 92x full size. The P series grip works for my stubby fingers, and the vertex style grip of the 92x gives me way more leverage and a better grip on the gun than the traditional Beretta grip.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'd pick the hk p30 myself.. great ergos, reliable, magazines capable with vp9, great shooter, aftermarket parts... The only thing is I'd replace a couple trigger components. The best advice is to try all of them first.. at a store

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,849 Posts
I would like a full/duty size, but I have pretty small paws,
A discussion of TDA is incomplete if the CZ75 platform... The Ergonomics of the grip is unsurpassed IMO by those mentioned by the OP.
Everybody has their own definition of what "small paws" may be, but as somebody that wears a mens size small glove, I can't comfortably operate the controls on a CZ75B.

The DA trigger reach is long, and the reach to that little cut in half jelly bean of a thumb safety is long also. The CZ75B thumb safety pivot point it about the same relation to the back strap as the forward leading edge of a Colt teardrop thumb safety.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I have a Browning BDM. The grip is very slim for a double stack 9mm. Would be great for a range pistol. For carry, not so much due to the backwards combo lever (decocker/slide release). When decocked, the trigger is completely disengaged, so the lever needs to be moved up to shoot. I shoot it very well.

·
Registered
I'm a Ruger man.
4,510 Posts
My "big gun" daily carry now...

Canik TP9DA imported from Turkey by Century Arms.

The Canik TP9DA is a reversion back to the trigger design made popular 20+ years ago
by the Walther P99 and later S&W99. The Double Action has a two-stage trigger; the first
shot is a long, striker-cocking motion with successive trigger presses being lighter single-action.

Student of the Gun review

Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Wood Revolver

·
Administrator
75,924 Posts
My personal favorite DA/SA 9mm is the Beretta M9, although I really wish I had never sold a P226 I had many years ago. I do not have large hands but I can manage an M9 just fine. The M9A3 has the straight Vertec-style grip and is even better.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Everybody has their own definition of what "small paws" may be, but as somebody that wears a mens size small glove, I can't comfortably operate the controls on a CZ75B. The DA trigger reach is long,
Absolutely could be the case but I think the pistol itself deserves consideration, only the OP will know if it fit's his hand. I have tried to like the TDA platform but I can't cozy up to it. I have a PCR and it is very accurate and reliable but just don't care for the long double action pull. So no dog in the fight just offered it up as one to consider

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
For 9mm guns you can't beat the CZ 75 for EDC/Home Defense/ or range shooting as they are accurate, reliable, and have a natural pointability just like the Browning HP. A brand new CZ 75B will only cost about $675-$750.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

If you're going to limit your gun to only range shooting. Then you might as well get something fun to shoot like this. Single stack magazines are perfect for small hands.
Air gun Trigger Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I'm looking specifically for a DA/SA pistol in 9mm. This would be for range fun only. Any ideas from anyone are welcome.

I would like a full/duty size, but I have pretty small paws, so I might have to go with a compact or single stack. ( is there such a thing as a stack and a half ? ) There is a gun show next week in my area, and would like to shop around, and hold a few different models, if possible.

Sig SP2022
HK P30
FNX-9
Beretta PX4 Storm

Advice or suggestions from owners of any of these, or any other DA/SA pistols would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
I know it’s not on your list but consider the CZ75B base model. Get a set of slim grips and you’re set with your small hands. That’s what I do with the CZ75B because I too have small hands.

Out of the above I have the PX4 full size and the P30SK. Feel-wise they’re kinda awkward in the hands.

·
Registered
3,333 Posts
They’re kind of scarce, but if you’ll consider used. The older P220 9mm were single stack, but A lot of them have the European heel release magazine.

Reactions: svh

·
Registered
4 Posts

Thanks.
S&W 59xx series (or 910/915 same firearm but budget model)

·
Registered
4,381 Posts

Sig SP2022
HK P30
FNX-9
Beretta PX4 Storm

Thanks.
I've owned two off your list and have been shooting mostly 9mm DA/SA guns for last 5-6 years or so.

General points.
First, there is no good single stack made right now. There is a very good one discontinued by SIG and that is p239. You have to look around to find one and try the fit. Objectively it is not a whole lot smaller than p229 but it is.

Second, compact vs full size does not really matter. All compacts Ive had or held, including PX4, P30sk, Berettas and CZ, accepted full sized mags. The grip circumference is the same.

Third, small hands are a problem and that problem is reach to trigger in its resting DA/SA position.

CZs do have aftermarket options for short reach triggers and so do Berettas, although I think the difference is marginal. They also have thin grips available. A CZ Shadow 2 or some version of a Beretta Vertec would be first two guns I'd look at.

From your list: you can modify grip size on P30 quite a bit but not trigger reach. PX4 is less grip-adjustable but is more shootable than HK. It cycles better. Out of box p30 trigger is from meh to bad, PX4 is ok. With trigger work p30 could be made just fine and PX4 very good. HK has the most ingenious decocker design but it is less relevant for range gun.

P30 can be had with manual safety so if DA gets old, you can go cocked and locked. Same goes for safety enabled CZs and Berettas but you would have to learn how to decock manually.

2022 is supposed to be very good but least modifiable.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I have a PX4 compact carry and it is a great shooting gun, I also have a P30 v3, I shooting both about equally well, the reset on the HK is longish but if you shoot it and just let all the off it instead of riding the reset which a lot of us have become used to doing, it’s really not even an issue. Both are solid choices, my preference is the PX4CC though, very under-rated weapon in my opinion

1 - 20 of 117 Posts