1911Forum banner
41 - 60 of 115 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,862 Posts
To clarify my previous statement, my fault for any confusion. My P226 Legion is DA/SA, it has a de-cocker that lowers the hammer making it DA first round. The two levers on the left side are the de-cocker and the slide lock. It does not have a manual safety like the 1911 does. Sorry, my bad. :(

Grumpy

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have a Sig P226 Legion. The most accurate handgun I have right out of the box. It has everything you asked for and to be honest, I believe even small paws will get a good grip on it. Double stack, DA/SA, with a de-cocker and a manual safety.
If you like erasing the X-ring you'll love it.

Grumpy
I think it's a misunderstanding or misinterpretation.
P226 Legion comes with two model/options - DA/SA which gets decocker and SAO with manual external safety lever (1911 style).
There is no model (part number) which can have either both or be interchangeable.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
To clarify my previous statement, my fault for any confusion. My P226 Legion is DA/SA, it has a de-cocker that lowers the hammer making it DA first round. The two levers on the left side are the de-cocker and the slide lock. It does not have a manual safety like the 1911 does. Sorry, my bad. :(

Grumpy
The 226 SAO has a manual safety 1911 style.

If it were me I would get a standard 226 and send it to Robert Burke, (The Sig Armorer) have the short reset trigger kit, the short reach trigger & his super strut main spring set up installed. A competition action job for a range gun or a carry action job for a carry gun. Money much better spent over a legion and you wind up with a legion plus if that makes sense.
Keep in mind the short reach trigger and the short reset trigger are two different things but both are called SRT, causes confusion sometimes.
You can also install the new E2 grips witch are very slim compared.
The short reach trigger E2 grip combo solves most small paw/double stack issues.
or just buy with the E2's already on it since you know you need em.
When your at the gun show the E2 grip pistols are easy to spot as they have no exposed grip screws.

Here are pics of the grips and the SRT for comparison you will be looking for.

E2 grips, standard trigger
Photograph White Air gun Trigger Grey

Short reach trigger
Air gun Trigger Bumper Gun barrel Automotive exterior

Keep in mind all of the above would also apply to a P229 the only difference being 1/2 inch shorter barrel and .1 inch shorter height
You can compare the 2 here, an excellent link for comparing handguns of any sort.

Any other questions Ill be glad to answer, when it comes to P226 SIG's if I dont know the answer I know where to find out lol

This is my 226 elite. Its been to TSA for love.
It was born on 6/15/2009 in .357/.40
I have the 9mm slide/barrel set up. I have the .22 conversion slide/barrel & magazines as well.
Runs flawless with all setups.
Well over 10,000 rounds thru it. Its filthy but its a real carry gun as the sweat stains on the slide attest to, the other side is way worse.
It was a LEO trade in when I got it. I paid 650.00 for it, gathered up the other parts over time.
So 1 gun, 4 calibers lotta fun, covers all the bases from war to self defense to range fun. cant beat it IMHO.
Air gun Trigger Grey Gun barrel Gun accessory

Thats all I got.

·
Registered
206 Posts
The 226 SAO has a manual safety 1911 style.

If it were me I would get a standard 226 and send it to Robert Burke, (The Sig Armorer) have the short reset trigger kit, the short reach trigger & his super strut main spring set up installed. A competition action job for a range gun or a carry action job for a carry gun. Money much better spent over a legion and you wind up with a legion plus if that makes sense.
Keep in mind the short reach trigger and the short reset trigger are two different things but both are called SRT, causes confusion sometimes.
You can also install the new E2 grips witch are very slim compared.
The short reach trigger E2 grip combo solves most small paw/double stack issues.
or just buy with the E2's already on it since you know you need em.
When your at the gun show the E2 grip pistols are easy to spot as they have no exposed grip screws.

Here are pics of the grips and the SRT for comparison you will be looking for.

E2 grips, standard trigger
View attachment 622693

Short reach trigger
View attachment 622695

Keep in mind all of the above would also apply to a P229 the only difference being 1/2 inch shorter barrel and .1 inch shorter height
You can compare the 2 here, an excellent link for comparing handguns of any sort.

Any other questions Ill be glad to answer, when it comes to P226 SIG's if I dont know the answer I know where to find out lol

This is my 226 elite. Its been to TSA for love.
It was born on 6/15/2009 in .357/.40
I have the 9mm slide/barrel set up. I have the .22 conversion slide/barrel & magazines as well.
Runs flawless with all setups.
Well over 10,000 rounds thru it. Its filthy but its a real carry gun as the sweat stains on the slide attest to, the other side is way worse.
It was a LEO trade in when I got it. I paid 650.00 for it, gathered up the other parts over time.
So 1 gun, 4 calibers lotta fun, covers all the bases from war to self defense to range fun. cant beat it IMHO.
View attachment 622699

Thats all I got.
Nuff said brotha. Gr8 post. Stay safe.

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Nuff said brotha. Gr8 post. Stay safe.
Thank You Sir.
I try to keep them short but never works out that way by time Im thorough lol
I thought t would be good for the OP to have some pics for reference when at the gun show as well.
Shopping in a gun show environment sucks for me unless Ive done my homework. Information overload is real lol

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only DA/SA 9mm I have is a '90-ish vintage Ruger P85 MkII. It's big, heavy, and blocky for carry, but an absolute gem for a range/pinker.

If you've got small mitts, it might be a little much, but I'd see if you can find one (or maybe a P89) to handle & check it out.
Ooops! Major brain fart there!

I've acquired a couple other DA/SA 9mm's in the last 2-3 years, both European police trade-ins.

My Beretta M92S was an Italian police trade-in. I'd always wanted a M92, and it was very reasonably priced. Only downside (to me) is that I'm not crazy about the European-style mag release.

The other is a Factory-refurbished West German police trade-in, alloy-framed Walther P38, also picked up at a very reasonable price. Love that pistol! It's a natural pointer, dead-nuts accurate, and has been 100% reliable for me so far, through a couple hundred rounds. Being a single-stack, it would be a strong contender for a range toy for a guy with smallish hands. I've told friends that if I needed a service pistol and was limited to 8+1 of 9mm, the P38 would be my choice without hesitation!

Just a couple others to consider. Good luck in the hunt!

Reactions: svh

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
CZ Shadow 2.

Startled that nobody's mentioned it yet. Best DA/SA out there. Just a bit too big and heavy for CCW, but the OP wasnt interested in that, so it's perfect.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
CZ Shadow 2.

Startled that nobody's mentioned it yet.
Somebody did :)

Speaking of CZ75 derivatives, Tanfoglio Stock 2 has a shortest DA reach and shortest DA travel out of everything I've owned, including a SIG 228 with a short reach trigger. One should not be getting a credit for shooting a DA on Tanfo. It is however relatively full in grip and trigger is harder to work on.

Reactions: svh and J-23

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I'm looking specifically for a DA/SA pistol in 9mm. This would be for range fun only. Any ideas from anyone are welcome.

I would like a full/duty size, but I have pretty small paws, so I might have to go with a compact or single stack. ( is there such a thing as a stack and a half ? ) There is a gun show next week in my area, and would like to shop around, and hold a few different models, if possible.

Manual safety is optional, but not preferred

I think I have it narrowed it down to these 4 -

Sig SP2022
HK P30
FNX-9
Beretta PX4 Storm

Advice or suggestions from owners of any of these, or any other DA/SA pistols would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
SIG P229 Legion! I love mine!

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have smallish hands, a Mechanix Wear size 9 medium fits me perfectly. With that being said, for me personally:

-My CZ75 PCR (compact) feels darn near perfect sized with the aluminum slim grips. Cajun Gun Works offers a short-reach trigger kit.
-My Beretta M9A3 feels a little larger, but still pretty good without the larger grip installed. The Vertec grip is smaller than the older 92 grip. The M9/92 grip is too large for me.
-My HK P30 hasn't been out of the safe in years. The grip size doesn't feel overly large, but the gun is just, meh, in my opinion.
-I had an early Sig 2022. That gun felt big.
-I had a Sig P239. I ultimately got rid of it because it is the same size as other compacts, but with half the capacity. Also, Sigs seem to have a very unbalanced, top-heavy feel to me.

Remember that when you are handling DA/SA guns at the store or gun show, check your trigger reach with the hammer decocked (halfcocked) and not resting on the firing pin. That is how the gun is carried, and the reach is shorter. If you ultimately feel you need a single stack, then the P239 or a 3rd generation Smith are probably where you are at.

·
Registered
237 Posts
The most comfortable DA/SA I have used is the Sig P225/P6. I'd go so far as to say it's probably one of the most comfortable grip shapes I've ever handled. I have medium sized hands and the Sig P226/P228 double stack grip is "pushing the envelope" for my hand. I have a P225, P226 and P228 and had a P239. The P239 had the most uncomfortable grip I've ever felt on a handgun. Some people love them, but I couldn't stand the feel of the grip. As I've said, the P225 single stack grip fits my hand perfectly, while the double stack P226/P228 is a bit on the large side, and it's a bit of a stretch to fire double action.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I have small hands, I got no use for DA/SA autos but the S&W 659 sounds like one you should check out. I just traded one off that I got on trade but it was comfortable to my hands. I actually liked Ruger P series but they were to bulky for me. View attachment 622624
No. It is no longer in production and starting now means difficulty in finding parts and magazines.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The SIG 2022 was adopted by the french Police, Gendarmerie, Customs, and Penal Administration for a duration of 20 years.
2022 = adopted in 2002 for a contract time of 20 years.
That means that next year, SIG will not garantee these service pistols. This adoption as a service pistol was then a commercial argument, but it now works just for one year...

·
Registered
205 Posts
If you want to try a Sig 226, and don't want to spend Sig money, look at the Arex Zero1

It's not an exact clone, but it looks the part. Mags are different/unique.

I was really impressed with the one I recently purchased, and can post more
pics if interested.

It's sub 500.00

Air gun Trigger Material property Gun barrel Gas

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
If you want to try a Sig 226, and don't want to spend Sig money, look at the Arex Zero1

It's not an exact clone, but it looks the part. Mags are different/unique.

I was really impressed with the one I recently purchased, and can post more
pics if interested.

It's sub 500.00

View attachment 622727
Sharp looking pistol.
I wouldnt mind seeing some more pics of it. With the slide off showing the meat and potatoes would be even better lol
Have you shot it?

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Wow ! Information overload ! o_O

Thank you to all for the overwhelming response .....

It will take me a day or two to dig in, and research all of this info. I may have a few specific questions, but otherwise, I am relatively sure my new pistol is one recommended here in this thread.

Thanks again to all who replied !

41 - 60 of 115 Posts