1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that warm weather is upon us, I need to acquire a belt holster for my 3" Kimber.

At least for now, I don't want to consider IWB carry. I would like a concealed carry OWB belt holster. My purchase of a 3" pistol was decided in part by considering the 2" less of slide length that would have to hang under the belt when compared to a full length pistol.

I am not in LE, but am licensed to carry concealed and therefore concealment is a priority. Generally, I would be wearing a short, light jacket; or a vest; or an open shirt and usually with jeans and occasionally "docker type" pants.

I'd welcome any advice on what works & what doesn't from other forum members!

Thanks - Kevin

B

·
0 Posts
Alessi CQC/S is always a good choice. The easy on/off snaps would be ideal for summer wear too.

·
Registered
492 Posts
i use a Kramer verticle belt scabbard for my Ultra Carry. secures the gun very well and conceals nicely.

------------------
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary security deserve neither liberty nor security."
--Benjamin Franklin--

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have much the same situation, except in my case it is lower back and hip problems that make carrying IWB somewhat painful.

What will work will depend somewhat on your dress and build.

Currently I'm using one of Mark THG's belt slide units (BS-2) for a Kimber Ultra CDP. This works OK for non-jeans. To keep the grip tucked in the belt/holster must be worn on the waist - which is slightly higher than most jeans are designed for.

I also frequently use a Milt Sparks Mirage (an inside the belt, outside the waist band holster). For me (I'm skinny) this gives the best concealment. I ordinarily wear it just forward of the strong side hip and it keeps the grip tucked in both with regular pants and jeans. Even though it is worn under the belt, for some reason it is more comfortable for me than an IWB holster.

Another belt holster that I've been advised will keep the grip tucked in nicely is Mark Waldron's QuickThunder. I've ordered on and should be able to give you a first hand account in a couple more weeks.

For any holster to work it's best, it should be paired with a good stiff belt.

The above is my opinion, YMMV. I hope it was helpful.

------------------
Jim Fox

·
Banned
152 Posts
I have tried almost all the top holsters and have ended my search with the Kramer Belt Scabbard. The vertical scabard is my second choice.
One of the great features of the Kramer holster is the leather that extends between the gun and your body. It is molded for the thumb safety making it almost impossible for the safety to be accidentally turned to the fire position.

I also have one for my H&K P-7 and Sig 220.

Great holster!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Want to say thanks for all the responses so far - most of those mentioned I am considering, but must admit I had forgotten about Wild Bill's and I didn't know about Rusty's work.

I noticed that Horseshoe Leather Products hasn't been mentioned. Has anyone familiar with Andy's work? I am also considering one of his rigs.

Thanks again!

Kevin

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Kevinch,

I have one of Andy A's holsters. It is a very well done, absolutely beautiful holster.

------------------
Regards,
AZFred

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
For a long list of holster makers and/or sellers goto the WELCOME page to this forum, click the links button and then click "View our extensive holster list here". If you can't find a holster maker to suit you there, well I did my best. LOL

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
Molon Labe

1 - 11 of 11 Posts