1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all for your responses regarding my question of Cocked and Locked Carry vs Israeli Carry. I am sorry if this is off topic, and I'll understand if it gets moved to the accessories forum, but, are there any recommendations regarding IWB holsters for Cocked and Locked carry? I've been looking at the Wild Bill's Southern Comfort with the thumb break, but I have to contact them to see if that's the way the thumb break was intended to be used. Otherwise, any other suggestions? Thanks!

·
Registered
861 Posts
Check out a Kydex IWB from Talon Tactical, Mike Benedict. I'm satisfied with mine. It has tensioning screws to adjust the strength with which the holster grips the weapon. I can jog across the back yard wearing this rig, and my 1911 remains securely encased in the holster. It is not a thumb break, and now I'm glad I decided against a thumb break. I have Kydex non-thumb break IWB holsters for a full size and an officers size 1911, and both work fine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I carry my Kimber SS Ultra Carry in a Milt Sparks VersaMax 2. It's very comfortable, secure, and conceals well. Since the M1911 is designed for c/l carry, no worries mate

Regards,
TBob

------------------
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them"
- George Mason, American Statesman (1725-92)

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
KyTac-Braveheart IWB
Check out skdtac.com
Also, use search function to learn what others say about the Braveheart.
I am totally satisfied.

·
In Memoriam
683 Posts
In leather, Milt Sparks' Summer Special is the standard by which all other IWB holsters are judged. I've worn one for years, and
You might also want to check out Mark Waldon's website (www.waldonholsters.com) I haven't tried one of his IWB holsters yet, but I have one of his belts and a holster, and the quality is first rate.

In kydex, I've had good luck with Blade-
Tech's IWBs; I'm wearing my colt Commander in one of their one-size-fits-all IWBs as I type this reply. I've also heard good things about Mike Benedict's Talon Tactical holsters and the Sidearmor line, although I'm no tsure Sidearmor is making an IWB for the 1911 yet.

The holster that fits my needs, or, for that matter physique, may not the one that fits yours. You may have to try several to find the one that suits you best.

------------------
Roger Shambaugh
Ottawa, Kansas

·
Registered
591 Posts
I use an IWB holster from Rusty Sherrick for my M1911. It doesn't have a thumbbreak. Personally, I don't see the need for one, particularly on an IWB holster.

If you are concerned about the hammer somehow falling and the gun discharging while in the holster, think about what it would take for that to happen. First, the manual safety would have to fail (or you would have to not applied it). Second, something in the sear engagement would have to fail. Third, the half-cock notch would have to fail. I see that as highly unlikely.

M1911

·
Administrator
18,583 Posts
I've used a Royal Guard from Galco extensively as well as an ARG from Mitchell Leather. Both are fine. The ARG's rake is a little more radical.

But my favorite of late is the GWH produced by Lou Alessi and sold through Dane Burns. If you are interested I could provide you a link to his website. It is a very nice rig, comfortable and very secure.

·
Registered
51 Posts
For over 20 years I've carried my LW Commanders in a G.Wm. Davis #455 IWB..At the time I obtained it the Davis was the only IWB rig with the "wing" to protect the safety . Sparks Summer Spcls now have it and are very good indeed; just ordered one a short time ago..For extended wear IWB rigs leather is hard to beat IMO...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have used Bianchi's #3 Pistol Pocket holsters for years for both pistols and revolvers. They are particularily suitable for 1911-type pistols. They are a thumbstrap holster that may cover any concerns you have about Cocked-and-Locked carry. I recommend them highly. You don't see much mention of Bianchi holsters on this forum and I am curious as to why. Perhaps because they aren't "custom"?

·
Registered
9,204 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts

Ky-Tac Braveheart
Because each piece of Ky-Tac gear is made by hand, every one will have it's subtle variances. However, the one thing they all have in common is painstaking hand-molding on an actual 1911 with the hammer cocked-and-locked. With all the Bravehearts, this translates to a better fit when the 1911 is cocked-and-locked. With some particular 1911 and Braveheart combinations, if you attempt to re-holster with the hammer cocked and the safety disengaged, the way the body shield is molded will cause the safety to engage. When considering an IWB for cocked-and-locked carry, the Braveheart is worth a look.

------------------
SKD Tactical Accessories
www.skdtac.com
Your source for hard-core, no-bs gear.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all for your responses/suggestions. Have been having computer problems, so I couldn't get online for the past several days. Ironically enough, I've ordered a Bianchi #3 Pistol Pocket. Hope to receive it in a few days. I'll keep you all posted on how I like it.
By the way, currently, I'm using a Law Concealment Systems Holster, and I love it. It works for a variety of guns (My Kel Tec P-11, a Charter 2000 Bulldog and a Charter 2000 Undercover. And, it works fine for my Charles Daly ECS). The only problem is my concern/inexperience regarding cocked and locked carry. Hopefully the Bianchi with the thumbreak will alleviate that concern, as someone said. Again, thanks very much, and as always, respects!

·
Registered
141 Posts
Originally posted by Dogwhisperer5:
I have used Bianchi's #3 Pistol Pocket holsters for years for both pistols and revolvers. They are particularily suitable for 1911-type pistols. They are a thumbstrap holster that may cover any concerns you have about Cocked-and-Locked carry. I recommend them highly. You don't see much mention of Bianchi holsters on this forum and I am curious as to why. Perhaps because they aren't "custom"?
the last bianchi thumbbreak 1911 holster my dealer got in were molded to snap over the hammer in condition 2 not cocked and locked.
I won't buy one like that. I use(for 6yrs) a Galco NSA when I use an IWB holster. I prefer open top holsters that are molded for a tight fit.

·
Registered
303 Posts
timg953-

All of the Bianchi holsters that I have experience with specific to the 1911-design pistol, including the #3 Pistol Pocket, have the thumbstrap designed to function only with the hammer cocked. Maybe they changed the design recently.

10EC-

I think you'll be most pleased with the #3
Pistol Pocket!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just got the Bianchi 3S Pistol Pocket that I ordered in the mail today. It does have the thumb break designed for cocked and locked carry. I think I'll be just fine! Thanks again everyone for all of the input. As always, Respects!

·
Registered
92 Posts
10EC,
Get the braveheart IWB Kytac and buy it from SKDtac!!! You truly will not be sorry! I've worn my share of rigs that sit in the closet or in drawers and had almost given up carrying a large size pistol (used to carry a S*W J frame revolver) until so many people recommended the Braveheart.

It's like I'm not even wearing the thing and the draw is super fast. No break in time required like leather holsters. I can't say enough about this holster! Plus, Joe's customer service is OUTSTANDING! Recently had a Kytac mag holder break and Joe sent me a new one ASAP free of charge!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for your response. I acquired the Bianchi 3S Pistol Pocket, and so far, its been great. It has a thumb break, which alleviated any concerns I had with carrying cocked and locked. It was a decent price (alot less than some of the "custom" makers)......and the big plus and deciding factor in placing my order........availability. I got it in 3 business days as opposed to 8 weeks or more as quoted by about 5 or 6 other makers. So far, it has served my purposes well. However, I may very well try the braveheart seeing as how I do live in a rather hot and humid climate during the summer months. Thanks again for the suggestion. Bianchi's gain is the other guy's loss..........good quality, good price, good delivery time........

·
Registered
303 Posts
10EC-

I'm glad you like the Bianchi #3S. I was confident that you would. There certainly is a place for "custom" holsters, but they sure aren't the only show in town!

·
Registered
134 Posts
There are several VERY good holsters out there for IWB condition 1 carry. Personally, the Milt Sparks Versa Max is my daily companion. Very comfortable.

Just my .02........

Cheers, Tim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts