1911Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should be getting a Rock Island GI spec .45 here pretty soon. The major complaint I've seen (almost universal) is that their mags suck. So along with the gun I will be buying some new mags for it. I'm looking for a 7 round flush fit type magazine, and maybe an 8 round type if it is flush, or nearly flush.

Who do you guys use?

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Novak

I like Novak magazines that came with mine. There just not flush with the bottom of the grip. If you check Novak's web-site you might be able to purchase magazines from them directly.

rimfire,22

·
Registered
721 Posts
I will second the Novak mags.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I use both Novak that came with my RIA and Wilson. I tried using Colts that didn't work in my Colt 1911 and they work in the Rock, but Novak and Wilson have been 100% reliable in both my 1911s.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Some more plusses to the Novaks, they have a stainless steel follower, and instead of putting a smaller spring in to get the eight round capacity, they extended the magazine into the base pad making the mag body a little longer. The overall length is the same as other eight rounders with a base pad. They also have a facet that helps the magazine glide over the mag catch upon insertion. This makes the magazine insert as though it is on ball bearings.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, so I take it the mags coming with the Rock Islands now-a-days aren't the ones people were having so many problems with earlier.:p

·
Registered
314 Posts
The Novak that came w/my RIA has been 100% as well as the CMC Shooting Star mags I've purchased. The only problem to date is that some of the SS mags don't want to drop free by themselves but this seems to be improving w/use.
Tomac

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Hello,

Novak's came with mine also. Best magazine I've found yet except for Mec-Gars which are OK in my book also.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've heard good things about Novaks, but haven't tried them out. My favorite flush fitting mags are Metalform w/ round follower and 7 round MecGars. Midway has the 7 MecGars for 11.55, for Metalforms I recommended getting in on a group buy being spearheaded by a reputable person on the forum.

Wilson mags with the slim base pads don't stick out much. I've yet to find a flush fitting 8 round mag that works 100%.

I'm also impressed with the OEM mags Midway is selling for $5, but I haven't tried them with anything buy ball yet Their feedlips are a cross between the GI lips and timed release lips so I don't know if they'll work well with wadcutters/hollowpoints.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I still have quite a few Metalform w/ round follower (45-797W). I am selling it for $35/2 Mags including shipping. Please let me know by PM if you are interested. I take payment by Paypal or money order.

These are extras I purshased during Group Buy I organzed.

Thanks.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I now have two 8 round Shooting Stars and one 7 round GI spec mag for the RIA I don't even own yet.:p Thanks u812! :D Troy, if I need any in the future I'll let you know. Sending the check out tomorrow for the gun.:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts