1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What luck have you had loading these rounds with this powder? I'm looking for a "plinking" load which may develop into a more serious target load, but for now I'd like to keep it simple. I've been working in the 4.4-4.5 grain area with a 125 LRN bullet, just curious to hear some recommendations.

Check Six.

·
Registered
416 Posts
For the .45:
I've tried Red Dot 5gr with 200gr Hornady Combat target in Starline brass. SHoot good an accurate. FPS is 770s.
I'm reloading 6gr to try soon. Going to run a hundred through to check the cleanliness of the powder. I thnk Red Dot would be a good economical powder. Hodgdon Tightgroup is a very good powder.
As far as accuracies between Red Dot, Vihtavouri, Tightgroup, and Clays, I can't tell a difference in accuracy. If any change, then it is likely my shooting.
FOR PLINKING I WOULD GO WITH CLAYS. Clays is probably the cleanest burning powder and can get at good prices in volume. For serious shooting, I would run with Tighgroup, Viht, or possibly Red Dot. (I'm experimenting with Red Dot right now)

[This message has been edited by Gargoyle (edited 08-20-2001).]

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
I use Red Dot for both 9mm and .45. It is a very clean, accurate and economical powder.

My favourite load for 9mm is 4.7 gr. behind 124 gr. cast.

Favourite .45 is 5.0 gr. behind 225 gr. cast.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I have 35+ years experience with the .45ACP and Red Dot. It is my "powder of choice" for "normal" loads in this cartridge and .38 Special. I have no experience with the 9mm, but see no reason why it would be any different.
I am able to produce reliable functioning in 2 Colt 1911-type .45ACP pistols with 4 gr. Red Dot and either 200 gr. semi-wadcutter or 230 grain round nose lead bullets. Very accurate and pleasant to shoot.
Red Dot is an excellent pistol powder. Give it a try!

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm back from my "vacation" and thanks for the advice. I'm going to try and wake up early enough tomorrow morning to start a few .45 loads to see how they do at the range. I'm still trying to find out what my Hi Power likes to eat, but it's just a matter of time I guess.

Thanks again!

Check Six.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts