1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other owners of this dispenser experience a rough mechanism when raising the arm to throw a charge? It seems like there is something rubbing inside that doesn't allow it to move smoothly.

This is my first dispenser, and perhaps it supposed to be this way, but it seems unlikely. It's roughly a month old, and the only powder it has been filled with is Power Pistol.

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Any other owners of this dispenser experience a rough mechanism when raising the arm to throw a charge? It seems like there is something rubbing inside that doesn't allow it to move smoothly.

This is my first dispenser, and perhaps it supposed to be this way, but it seems unlikely. It's roughly a month old, and the only powder it has been filled with is Power Pistol.

Thanks

Mark
Just started doing it or has done it always? Does it all the time? The power pistol folks will have to chime in on how that powder meters but if it's intermittent, it's probably just cutting a grain here and there which would be normal. If it just started after being smooth, I don't know. I haven't had to take my 3B apart for any reason.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
If you don't have it set up for pistol...

Redding 3BR with Universal Chamber is made for larger rifle charges, not handgun.
I guess it works fairly well handgun, but when the Universal chamber
is adjusted down for smaller charges it cuts too many powder flakes
and they get hung up in the unit. When that happens to me,
it throws inconsistently until I clean it. I bet that's your crunchy sound.
Small bits of powder flakes cut into pieces, crunching in the drum.

I suspect you need to disassemble and clean, then season with tons of powdered graphite.
(Well, maybe not tons. Maybe 4 or 5 ounces. Almost a ton... :) )

I never looked it up in the Redding catalog, do they have a Pistol Chamber
for small charges? Where it's cut at the drum will be different so it doesn't
mess up your handgun powder kernels.

Frankly, I use it for rifle only. Not handgun.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nick, I think you hit the nail on the head. Being a newbie, I didn't realize there were different dispensers for rifle and pistol. I guarantee that's what is going on. The folks at Midway will be happy, just purchased a different dispenser. I guess I'll save the one I have now in spaces I ever load for rifle

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
The 3BR is sold with the handgun, universal or both chambers. Check on which drum you purchased with yours.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
Strange you should mention the rough cycle. I just had one delivered two weeks ago and used it last week with the pistol micrometer. It was rough, like a burr, for about twenty drops but now it works perfectly.

·
Registered
7,261 Posts
Strange you should mention the rough cycle. I just had one delivered two weeks ago and used it last week with the pistol micrometer. It was rough, like a burr, for about twenty drops but now it works perfectly.
All the powder drops are supposed to get more consistent when they get some seasoning. The graphite from the powder acts as a lube so they should smooth out as well. Not an expert but I'm sure it's possible that you knocked off a burr but don't be surprised if you have an occasional throw that is rough. You will occasionally cut a powder "flake" which will feel rough. This is not unusual or abnormal. Some powders also meter better than others and you will cut a grain more often with some powders than with others. I don't own the BR, I have the 3B and it drops very consistently with all powders I have (231, AA2, AA5, SR7625, Silhouette), easily within 1/10th grain. Even when I cut that occasional grain, the drop is still on the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts