1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am giving some serious consideration to purchasing a dedicated 45 acp taper crimp die. I found a Redding die on Amazon, but it says "remanufacture" in the item description. I believe this item is coming from Redding, but cannot be sure... Under manufacturer it says "emallguide.com... Remanufactured does not bother me IF it was done by Redding and not by Bubba's Barbeque and Deli. In my time in the power tool industry, remanufactured meant ONE well-trained person went through a returned product and made it right... Not sure about this case. Price is $42.95 and they say they have free returns. But I don't need the hassle if it does not work... What do you think? Thanks! Danny

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Something listed as "remanufactured" and sold by the original manufacturer is one thing, if the price and warrantee is acceptable. Buying something listed as "remanufactured" from a third party MIGHT be worth the chance, if the price and warrantee are really good (meaning less than 1/2 the price of a new item from the manufacturer). Honestly, I'd pass on it.

My $0.02
Grumpy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! But... I just looked at Midway, and they do not have any 45acp taper crimp dies in stock... None, nada... But I agree its best to let this one ride. I will search all the other sites and see what I can find. Danny

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I searched all the normal vendors for a 45acp taper crimp die and came up empty. I signed up for alerts on most of the sites for when they receive stock. I looked at Midway, Nachez, Precision, Midsouth, Scheels, Powder Valley, Academy and Sportsman's Warehouse.. If someone has another source, I would really like to hear about it! Thanks! Danny

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
PM sent with a possible option

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
While I love Redding equipment, honestly, for the .45 acp almost any taper crimp die will do to remove the bell and place the proper diameter crimp on the round. The key I've found with the .45 acp is seating and crimping in separate steps. Then only crimping enough to remove the bell, crimp the case mouth to 0.470" and you're good to go.

My $0.02
Grumpy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you flechero and Old Grumpy. The problem I am having is I can only get my necks down to .472-473. And yes, I calibrated my calipers and even used a micrometer to check the diameter. I admit to being a bit of a snob when it comes to tools. I like the best! As a manual machinist in a former life, I appreciate precision. The rounds I am producing pass the plunk test going in, but seem to have a little drag coming out. I really want to get them down to .470" as you suggest, but my current die will not do it. I found a formula on another site for neck sizing I found interesting. They said to take the bullet diameter (.452") and add the wall thickness of the case times 2 (the Winchester brass I am using mikes at .011-.012") and subtract .004" to get the proper taper crimp number... So my crimp should be .472". While my reloads are real close to that, I will feel better when they fall out of the chamber without dragging... Thoughts? Oh, and I may have a lead on a Hornady taper crimp die! Thanks again! Danny

·
Premium Member
4,940 Posts
Everything I've read say between 0.470" and 0,472" should be acceptable. However each weapon has a diameter it likes best. If your loads are dropping in all the way they should do just fine. My RCBS die easily crimps down to 0.470". I loaded 1,000s of rounds that way until I picked up a Lee Factory Crimp Die. With many of our members those are fighting words. Some like the FCD while others throw stones at the thought of using one. To each their own.
The vast majority of our members swear by the plunk test, as do I, and mine will easily drop in and drop out without issue. Good luck snagging that Hornady die.

Grumpy

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Just sign up for the notifications from Midway if they are out of stock. It took about 2 months, but I got a notification just about 2 days ago that my Redding Taper Crimp die was back in stock. It will probably be in my mailbox tomarrow.

Reactions: Old Grumpy

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you Slow Bullet. I think I have signed up for notifications at what seems like 100 different sites, but Midway was one of the first. @Old Grumpy, I think the problem I am having is some of these reloads are between .472-.473. Maybe the chamber is a little tight, but a taper crimp will definitely help. The seating/crimping die I am using definitely is tapered, but there is a shoulder at the top of the taper. If I lower the die any further, it starts to distort the rim of the case. Don't ask how I know this...:rolleyes: Danny

·
Registered
129 Posts
You can get a complete set of RCBS .45 ACP dies from Sinclair for $65 plus shipping. The seating die taper crimps. Remove the seating stem, and it becomes a dedicated taper crimp die. Kind of the long way around to approach the problem, but...

Brownells also has the separate RCBS seater/TC die in stock:

And Dillon also seems to have their TC die in stock for .45 ACP:

Too much counterfeit and questionable stuff for sale on Amazon to suit me. I'm very reluctant to buy very much from them because of that fact.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I guess I'm a little curious about why in the world a Redding taper crimp die would get remanufactured? There are no moving parts (unless you count the lock ring). If Redding is using the quality of steel that they claim to use, it would require intended abuse to damage it. And if that were the case, could there actually be a profit margine that would justify recovering a worn die, repairing the die and reselling it? The whole thing just seems odd.

Perhaps it was used, got surface rust and then was treated in a bath of evaporust or some other rust removing product...?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thank you guys! @Slow bullet guy, good question. I suspect this may be a “second” that has some minor blemish, or maybe the CNC that machined it had tool chatter or a dull cutter and had to be “refurbished”. But i am just guessing. @TMnichols, I have no need for a second sizer and belling die to collect dust, but did consider it. The Brownells site says the 4acp TC die is a special order and to ADD 5-8 weeks to the normal delivery. The Dillon die looks promising, it does not specifically say taper crimp. It only says crimp die. I am going to do some research and if it is a TC will place the order shortly. Oh, and the Redding remanufactured die on Amazon is no longer listed. Thanks for all the help! Danny

·
Registered
129 Posts
Thank you guys! @Slow bullet guy, good question. I suspect this may be a “second” that has some minor blemish, or maybe the CNC that machined it had tool chatter or a dull cutter and had to be “refurbished”. But i am just guessing. @TMnichols, I have no need for a second sizer and belling die to collect dust, but did consider it. The Brownells site says the 4acp TC die is a special order and to ADD 5-8 weeks to the normal delivery. The Dillon die looks promising, it does not specifically say taper crimp. It only says crimp die. I am going to do some research and if it is a TC will place the order shortly. Oh, and the Redding remanufactured die on Amazon is no longer listed. Thanks for all the help! Danny
NOTE: All Dillon Pistol Die sets include our sizer/ decap die, seat die and a separate crimp die. (Taper crimp for autos; accu-crimp for revolvers.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
@T.M. Nichols, Thank you! I somehow missed that. Die was ordered this morning from Dillon. Now I am patiently (not really) watching my mailbox! Thanks again for the link! BTW, I LIKE your avatar! Danny

·
Registered
3,464 Posts
@T.M. Nichols, Thank you! I somehow missed that. Die was ordered this morning from Dillon. Now I am patiently (not really) watching my mailbox! Thanks again for the link! BTW, I LIKE your avatar! Danny
Next time I recommend you buy dies directly from Redding, it may be easier.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts