1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start reloading the 45acp and just bought a set of Redding dies. The sizing die is titanium carbide and came with a notice saying something to the effect of resizing only the portion of the brass that has expanded. How can I truly distinguish which part of the brass expanded?

Doesn't the whole brass expand upon firing? Wouldn't that mean that I would have to resize the whole length of the brass as I have done with my other pistol rounds?

I also reload for the 460SW mag but with a Hornady carbide sizing die. It did not come with a notice saying to size only the portion that has expanded. I resize the whole brass.

I'm a bit confused. Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Most of my pistol dies are Redding Titanium and I use them as full length size dies. I only had one issue with the .45 colt die as it was causing a ring around the base of the case and I sent it back and they corrected it . So load away.

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
Just set the dies up per instructions and only the expanded portion of the case that's within the reach of the die will be sized. :)

·
Registered
555 Posts
The case head should not expand at all, just the body. there is a point from the web foreward that is what needs to be sized and the remainder of the case should be left untouched.
I think what they are trying to do is keep people from seating the die body down in the press to the point it contacts the shellholder. Carbide is very hard but brittle. The pressure of the ram hitting the carbide ring can break or crack it. Set the die to touch a raised shellholder and back off 1/8 - 1/4 turn and you should be OK.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Ol` Joe said:
The case head should not expand at all, just the body. there is a point from the web foreward that is what needs to be sized and the remainder of the case should be left untouched.
I think what they are trying to do is keep people from seating the die body down in the press to the point it contacts the shellholder. Carbide is very hard but brittle. The pressure of the ram hitting the carbide ring can break or crack it. Set the die to touch a raised shellholder and back off 1/8 - 1/4 turn and you should be OK.
+1

As long as the bottom of the die does not come into contact with the shellholder/plate, you should be good to go. RCBS recommends a 1/32" gap (about the thickness of a matchbook).

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
I've set every sizing die that I own to touch the shellplate. After a coupla hundred thousand rounds, so far, no problems. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts