1911Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not too gunsmithing savvy so I'm not even sure how to ask this but how do you reduce the length required to pull a trigger on a 1911 to cause the hammer to drop and also reduce the amount of weight needed to pull the hammer? I guess I want to reduce the trigger pull and length. That sound right? Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IANAGNDIPOOT (I am not a gunsmith nor do I play one on TV). I am sure a real 'smith will answer too.

I did a little research because I would like to reduce the take-up (vs the overtravel) on one of my triggers. Overtravel is easy, get an adjustable trigger and have a 'smith set it up.

To shorten the take-up, I believe you have to either buy a trigger that is "too long" (the trigger not the bow) and file it down until it can move forward enough on the reset to enage the sear. Or you can weld metal onto an existing trigger to build it up and then adjust it as I mentioned above.

The other thing I learned is that this is real tricky stuff and if not done right can give you a full auto 1911 pretty easily.So, make sure you have it done by a very competent gunsmith.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts