1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am picking up a second Tactical, this one a full size got a very good deal,

I have an Tactical Ultra as well...so question is

I have a glaring nick in the ultra's frame, shines like a 2.00 hooker at a betty crocker bake-off
anyone done a refinish on the slide and frame of these Tac pistols?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Depending on how far you want to go LTM refinishing as well as many other places can put some real bulletproof finishes on your pistol with Cerekote, KG Gunkote, and Duracoat. The Cerekote and Gunkote stuff has lasted through hundreds of hours of salt-water immersion. Here is the link to Larson Tactical with a Kimber done in one of the finishes.

http://www.larsontactical.com/id31.html

·
Registered
2,889 Posts
Well...I sure as hell wouldn't want Kimber to do the re-finish!

As good as their pistols are, their finishes leave a lot to be desired. The finishes I've seen on the tactical frames are better than others, (they seem to be thicker), but they still chip and nick easily, and the color can range from light grey to dark grey to greenish-grey. (How about a little consistency?)

Personally, I'm impressed with SA's Armory Kote finish. Seems very tough.
If I ever need to have my Kimber refinished, I may just send it to SA's custom shop and have them Armory Kote it. (Gasp, Sacrilege!)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tactical Custom refinish

thaddeus43, I would love to know what you decided on your refinish. Were you going to refinish frame and slide? I put a couple of scratches on my slide (rookie slide stop mistake :bawling:) and was thinking about refinishing the slide after im done learning how to pop my stop back in without scratching my slide. :( .

·
Premium Member
20,401 Posts
thaddeus43, I would love to know what you decided on your refinish. Were you going to refinish frame and slide? I put a couple of scratches on my slide (rookie slide stop mistake :bawling:) and was thinking about refinishing the slide after im done learning how to pop my stop back in without scratching my slide. :( .
Until you get the "feel" of inserting the slide stop, lay a playing card against the frame when you install it. The waxy coating will help you learn the "UP and IN" method needed.

·
Registered
891 Posts
As good as their pistols are, their finishes leave a lot to be desired. The finishes I've seen on the tactical frames are better than others, (they seem to be thicker), but they still chip and nick easily, and the color can range from light grey to dark grey to greenish-grey. (How about a little consistency?)

I really hate to bring back an old thread,and it took me awhile to find it, but I found out something interesting about why you have noticed a difference in the Tactical's frame finish, although I can't explain the greenish gray. They have a new Tactical Pro II at my local and the frame is almost black, I questioned the owner and said mine was way lighter than that, he said he didn't know, so when I got home I checked the specs in the new catalog, here starting this year, the tacticals have the same Kimpro II matte gray finish as the SIS. Last years catalog shows gray anodized for the frame. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Give CCR a call. Their prices are pretty good and their job is top notch.
I have a SIG P229 that got an unsightly nick under the trigger guard during a range trip, so I sent it to them. They refinished the whole frame, and when I got it back, it looked like nothing had happened to it. I'm sure if they can work on a SIG frame (alluminum alloy), they can also work on your Kimber Tactical.
They have excellent feedback at the Sigforum, and I think they're running a sale until the end of this month.

http://www.ccr-refinishing.com/index.html

Oops, I hadn't noticed that this thread goes way back to December. Let us know what finish you went with and if you can post pictures.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts