1911Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up a pawn shop Series 70 for $400 plus tax. It has major problems with bluing, and some small dings from rust and negligect, as it was probably holstered wet. Really pretty minor - repairable, but enough that it should be refinished, and refinishing won't reduce the value. It is a good project gun.

I have used a wire wheel brush, bead blaster, and polishing wheel to remove bluing in the past, but want to minimize the wear to the sharp edges and lettering. Has anyone with actual experience used a liquid bluing remover prior to finishing? Any recommendations on brand?

I still plan to polish the flats and bead blast the top of the slide, etc., but want to remove the min. amount of metal.

Probably leaving the original sights, hammer and MSH. It is just going to be a stock Series 70, but with a good blue job. I was looking for copy (Norinco?) for a truck gun, but this is a better deal.

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
This worked for me.

RUST and BLUE REMOVER
Mfr: BROWNELLS
Attacks Only Rust & Blue; Won't Damage Steel
There are many times when the use of a good rust remover is called for during the bluing operation - old time guns too fragile to polish - guns that have been badly neglected and are not worth spending enough money on to warrant a good polishing job - and guns so badly rusted it would take too much valuable time trying to buff off all the rust and crud on the metal. Our Rust Remover comes in concentrated form. One quart is mixed with one quart of pure water to make two quarts of operating rust remover. The remover is made so it will not attack anything but rusted steel, not the live steel itself, providing immersion is not unreasonably long - several hours, that is. Rust and old blue will be completely removed, leaving nothing but clean steel, ready for polishing.

SPECS: Available in 1 quart (946ml) or 1 gallon (3.8L). 1 quart makes 2 quarts solution, 1 gallon makes 2 gallons of solution.

Catalog page 179

Cannot ship outside Continental United States. Ship UPS Ground only within U.S.

082-054-032
1 Quart $16.95

082-054-128
1 Gallon $49.51

·
Registered
69 Posts
Sometimes you can even find it at Walmart or local shops, the stuff in the blue plastic bottle. It works pretty well for about four dollars. I forgot the name, you will need degreaser, or acetone, also. I reblued an old S&W Victory with Brownell's Belgian Blue, a rust blue.
You boil the gun, or parts, apply the blue, polish with very fine steel wool. The more applications the better. The finish will be hard to wear but no blackish-blue, rather a brownish blue.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts