1911Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy two officers size smooth arched mainspring housings. I was going to buy two S&As and remove the checkering. I found smooth arched housings on the Caspian website but they're titanium. Can you blue titanium or leave it unfinished?

·
Super Moderator
13,559 Posts
I know that you can't blue or parkerize titanium. My titanium frame is bare fo now but my pistolsmith suggest that I should have it painted. I'm still deciding.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ti cannot be blued because there is no iron in it. Bluing is a form of rusting. Titanium can be anodized, but that will scratch. Heat coloring is also an option, and it will wear better, but you won't get a uniform color like you would get with anodizing. Bead blasted ti will wear much longer, but will give a muted anodized color. Just bead blasted ti has a dark gray look to it. When you wipe it with WD40 it will look even darker. Something that I have been wanting to play with is anodizing ti and then putting a clear coat of Dura Coat or Cera coat over top. That should wear better than any bluing.

Jeremy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts