1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I read the red dot sticky, but that was more about co-witnessing and how to actually use the dot (more importantly, how NOT to use the red dot)

I just bought an M&P 15-22. I already have an Ultradot Pan A/V sight reflex sight I was going to put on this rifle.

I pulled the irons off the rails as I have no desire to co witness and the rear was in the way. This rifle is not a SHTF weapon. I have other stuff for that. Primary use will be plinking (stationary and on the move) and the occasional bowling pin shoot.

I typically mount my red dots above the rear of the magwell (center of device above rear magwell). This leaves room for BUIS and later on maybe a multiplier (however, BUIS/magnifier does not apply to this rifle). I can shoot tactical both eyes open and one eye for 100 yard and out.

I took a tactical class and noticed the LEO instructors had their mounted more forward than mine. I asked why. Their reasoning was more of equipment issues (helmet), or they would bring them closer to their eyes.

I have read pros and cons of position, but figured I would solicit opinions from this forum. So about where along the rifle do you prefer to mount your red dot or reflex optic and why?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
If you use a medium (9 mm) space, it won't be necessary to remove the iron sights. They will appear in the lower 1/3rd of the finder. A folding rear sight will be completely out of the way.

If there's space, I mount the reflex sight far enough forward to fit an optional magnifier in front of it. A magnifier can be moved from rifle to rifle without affecting the POI. Although the window is relatively smaller that way, it is more conducive to two-eye shooting than when closer. Used with both eyes open, the red dot is on the target, and the sight itself is virtually invisible.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I believe your red dot sticky link is incorrect.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'm near sighted with mild astigmatism, so I mount it.far enough forward that it.falls naturally in my field.of.vision and I dont have to squint to see it.

·
Registered
403 Posts

I mount my red dot sights as far forward of the upper receiver rails both my mounts are high mounts which makes lower 1/3 co-witness.

Try it for yourself try mounting it at the rear end of the upper receiver rail, then mount it at the middle, then mount it all the way at the forward end.

For me all the way forward makes the optic cover less of the targets, as for my Aimpoint it is on a cantilever mount in front of the upper receiver so I could mount my magnifier.

·
Premium Member
15,749 Posts
I have an EOTech on an AR15 (don't know what a '15-22' is). Anyway, its a relatively heavy red-dot so I have it in the rear-most position for better balance. This is actually not that far back because I also have a folding BUIS behind it. I also like the larger FOV in the rectangular 'screen' with the closer-to-the-eye mount. This combination of sights (Colt 6721) results in a 100% co-witness. Both the red-dot and the sights are zeroed at 50 yds.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Thank you for all of the replies! I played around at both extremes and ended up mounting it on the forward part of the lower. This will allow me to put BUIS on it in the future and I had a decent sight picture. Bore sighted and maybe take it to the range tomorrow.

Thanks for the pic posts as well!

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
In the Military they want it forward on the upper, not on the hand guard. It aides in keeping both eyes open and seeing better to your right side. It also lets maginfiers and rear sights to work better. The Military mounts keep the front lens about in line with the hand guard as well. The spacers and mounts are built to used that way.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I like to have the sight forward on the upper receiver. Center of the mount even with the cam protrusion on the left side of the upper. I run the gun with the front sight always up. This allows me to choose between the dot and the front sight post when making a shot close in to calculate offset.

Some who prefer a fixed front and rear run the sight closer to the rear sight so the get in the sight quicker and have more of a standard sight picture with the dot sitting on the front sight post. I'm still on the fence with this one. If I don't get a little faster with this set up, I'm going to switch to a folding rear sight and move the mount forward.

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I run my Comp M4 right at the front of my receiver rail on my SR-15.

This way, I don't get the "looking through a soda straw" effect. Both eyes open, acquire the target, mount the gun and, the red dot just appears in my field of vision. When red dot is on a vital spot, pull the trigger. No "aiming" going on.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
CoryCop25, good to see you over here brother.

I to have tried running my Aimpoint closer to the rear sight, but I noticed no advantage. I run them as far forward on the upper receiver as possible, basically the front of the mount at the front of the receiver like CoryCop25's first pic.

I did this with the comp m2 with a standard mount, then when the offset mounts like with the comp m3 came out, I put them forward as well. Then when I started using a comp M4 then T1's, like the comp M3 in an offset mount, I out them in the forward most position. For a handful of years I used an Aimpoint magnifier in a twist or flip to side mount, so it was really the only way to set it up if still using a rear iron.

Now, I won't give up my irons, so to make room for a magnifier, they need to be mounted forward. I use my irons before I head out to confirm my zero (by visually doing a quick cowitness). Also, I often keep the front sight up if there's any chance I'll be going from dark to light environments, or vice versa. It also helps with leveling the rifle and hold overs as mentioned.

Here's a Comp M2, Comp M4s, T1 and Leupold VX-R 1.25-4 (munch520's)

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Thank you, Sir!
Did you give Munch his scope back or beat him for it? :biglaugh:
After he saw the damage that 300blk did to that hog, he knew better than to ask for it back.... as I slowly clicked a Black Tip bullet on the Leupold while talking about how or love to shoot someone with it. :D

He actually just left it with me when he headed home since he's not really using it at the moment and I was in need of one since letting go of my Aimpoint 3x. Which leads me to really wanting to try an EXPS-3 with 3x behind it. I had one EoTech to my dozen or more Aimpoints and I had one EoTech fail. But, I'm willing to try the new, smaller ones on a non essential rifle for now.

I really like it and am pretty sure I'll be buying a MK6 1-6 some time this year.

I took his Leupold to the range and zeroed it with 55gr FMJ through my Colt 6921. Then I fired some 70gr GMX through it and noted the adjustment; which was .5 mils windage. Then I put it on the 9" blackout and windage was dead on but needed a .5 mil elevation adjustment down.

So, I can easily swap it between two rifles and give the dial a quick turn and be good to go. Obviously I'll confirm zero when possible after doing this, but if it's within 1 moa like LaRue mounts, I'll be good to go. It showed no shift the couple times I did it so far.

The 1.25 isn't all that limiting in close work. It's certainly not replacing my T1, but it can be used pretty easily. The key for me was to use the dot just outside of a clean sight picture and it was dead on. It's when I got a clean sight picture that it took an extra split second as my eyes wanted to focus on that instead of the target with both eyes.

It also made a big difference when hunting in low light. I had my T1 on the blackout and it got so dark that I couldn't see. I swapped to the Leupold and could easily tell what I was looking at 100 yards away. When I used the x300u, I could see very clear at 75 yards and made two precise shots on a hog.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Not to derail the thread but I just had a Weaver Tactical 1-5x24. It is very nice and blows away my NSX 1-4X24!
MSRP is high 1200s but MAP is high $800s.

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Not to derail the thread but I just had a Weaver Tactical 1-5x24. It is very nice and blows away my NSX 1-4X24!
MSRP is high 1200s but MAP is high $800s.
Daylight visible red dot? How true is the 1x?

·
Premium Member
3,059 Posts
Daylight and red/green illumination. First focal plane and the closest to 1x I have seen in quite a while. Better than my Burris XTR 1-4.
Cool, you should do a review and post some pics in that optics review thread that I think is a sticky. This is the first I've heard of it.

I'm pretty set on a MK6 1-6, especially because I can get it cheap, but I'm still looking at other options for a while until I actually decide to buy.

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
Hey Cory!

After he saw the damage that 300blk did to that hog, he knew better than to ask for it back.... as I slowly clicked a Black Tip bullet on the Leupold while talking about how or love to shoot someone with it. :D

He actually just left it with me when he headed home since he's not really using it at the moment and I was in need of one since letting go of my Aimpoint 3x. Which leads me to really wanting to try an EXPS-3 with 3x behind it. I had one EoTech to my dozen or more Aimpoints and I had one EoTech fail. But, I'm willing to try the new, smaller ones on a non essential rifle for now.

I really like it and am pretty sure I'll be buying a MK6 1-6 some time this year.

I took his Leupold to the range and zeroed it with 55gr FMJ through my Colt 6921. Then I fired some 70gr GMX through it and noted the adjustment; which was .5 mils windage. Then I put it on the 9" blackout and windage was dead on but needed a .5 mil elevation adjustment down.

So, I can easily swap it between two rifles and give the dial a quick turn and be good to go. Obviously I'll confirm zero when possible after doing this, but if it's within 1 moa like LaRue mounts, I'll be good to go. It showed no shift the couple times I did it so far.

The 1.25 isn't all that limiting in close work. It's certainly not replacing my T1, but it can be used pretty easily. The key for me was to use the dot just outside of a clean sight picture and it was dead on. It's when I got a clean sight picture that it took an extra split second as my eyes wanted to focus on that instead of the target with both eyes.

It also made a big difference when hunting in low light. I had my T1 on the blackout and it got so dark that I couldn't see. I swapped to the Leupold and could easily tell what I was looking at 100 yards away. When I used the x300u, I could see very clear at 75 yards and made two precise shots on a hog.
Jon is part of the 'Munch optic trial and exchange program' LOL. The Comp M2 in pic one is also (you guessed it) mine haha.

Good to hear your thoughts are positive so far Jon..I still think that optic is a tremendous value with few drawbacks (uncapped turrets, not true 1x)

Daylight visible red dot? How true is the 1x?
I texted you about this one back when I bought the VXR. Price was the only thing that kept me away. But now I want one (dammit Cory!). If you want to keep that VXR and pay me for it maybe I'll buy that Weaver :)

·
Premium Member
2,761 Posts
I put them all as far up as possible (without bridging receiver/rail gap)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts