1911Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"registered dealer or collector"??? & "Police seize father's firearms"

This news story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051117/ap_on_re_us/parents_slain_abduction;_ylt=AgFQQnEnokPbNlsSYI2ryFes0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg- mentions:

David Ludwig apparently was an avid hunter and posted 20 pictures labeled "Hunting 2004" on a Web site that included an image of him posing with freshly killed deer.

Neither of Ludwig's parents is licensed as a firearms dealer or collector, according to the national licensing center of the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives.
Since when does someone need to be licensed to be a "collector"?

The news report there seems to be making a huge deal out of the 54 guns and the hunting trips... I'm not sure what the big deal is about 54 guns or hunting trips... but the implication that one has to be licensed to be a "collector" bugs me. Is this a Pensylvania thing?

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kjhof said:
My guess (and guess is definitely the operative word) is that the reporter who wrote the story simply assumed that one needs a license to collect more than a certain number of firearms. Ahh--journalistic professionalism :rolleyes: .
Oh well... if idiots want to keep thinking that, great - fewer people rallying for such restrictions! :biglaugh:

(Joking, of course... :rolleyes: )

·
Registered
647 Posts
Or maybe neither had an 03 FFL; a Curio & Relic license intended to facilitate the building of a firearm collection consisting of military surplus or other historically interesting firearms. There IS such a license.

However, I don't see the purpose of the statement. Most people don't have 01 or 03 FFLs. Many of those without the license still own firearms, since such an FFL is not a requirement to own a firearm anywhere in the US.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The ONLY thing that a collectors license gets you is the ability to purchase C&R firearms directly from distributors and have them shipped to your home...

I am sure that is what was being referred to, (FFL's) just more spin to make the family look like they were breaking some law....

Although I can be pretty sure that this idiot won't get charged with carrying a gun concealed without a license... and that is just wrong...

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
Disregarding the bit about being a registered dealer and/or collector, just how long do you think it will take for the family to get their firearms and ammunition back? And how long will it take for the Brady Bunch and their herd of fellow travelers to start blathering about the number of guns etc?

I am willing to wager the entire family will be painted as being wierd survival nuts or members of some radical rightwing group. And I'd wager that the prosecution will mentioned, several times, the number of guns the family had.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Jim V said:
And I'd wager that the prosecution will mentioned, several times, the number of guns the family had.
Exactly--as if the victims would be any less dead had the murder weapon been the only gun in the family (or if he had bludgeoned them to death with a Louisville Slugger, for that matter).

·
Registered
948 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, indeed.

But there is nothing that can legally keep someone from owning 54 guns if they don't have some sort of license, right?

I mean... I wouldn't mind having 54 guns someday :)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Police seize father's firearms

There was a double murder in Lititz, Lancaster County Pennsylvania. The girls boyfriend, David Ludwig shot his girlfriends parents, which is reprehensible. He apparently took one of his fathers pistols and used it to commit the murder.

The police have now gone to the parents home and taken all of the father's firearms, which number 50 plus. Mostly shotguns and hunting rifles, a few pistols, and a couple AR-15s.

What the son did is a terrible thing, but taking the father's firearms just seems wrong to me. The son is 18 and considered an adult, and took his fathers property to commit the crime. Maybe some of the gun rights groups need to attack this one.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I was a little put off by the articles that are obviously aimed to get a rise out of the anti-gun faction in our society. On MSN's website the headline is "54 Guns Found in Home of Pa. Murder Suspect." http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/10087890/

What the hell does the kid liking hunting have to do with him committing murder??? Think PETA is smiling with that comment? Perhaps we should look at the fact that both the suspect and his girlfriend met though a "home school" organization. Good lord, the lengths the anti-gun/anti-hunting ground will go to take advantage of a tradgedy!!!:barf:

·
Registered
759 Posts
...little confusing, but the murderer got the guns from his OWN father, not the man he murdered? I would assume that the father DID NOT have the weapons secured? Dumb and dumber - and all in all tragic, but not having any specifics beyond the fact that the police have seized the weapons means that some judgement IMO needs to be reserved on the situation.

·
Registered
4,817 Posts
Xori Ruscuv said:
Yeah, indeed.

But there is nothing that can legally keep someone from owning 54 guns if they don't have some sort of license, right?

I mean... I wouldn't mind having 54 guns someday :)
I know there has been talk of passing so-called "arsenal laws," in certain jurisdictions (which would require a license, I think)--I'm not sure if any have been passed, or if they only impose restrictions on the amount of ammo, rather than the number of guns.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
kjhof said:
I know there has been talk of passing so-called "arsenal laws," in certain jurisdictions (which would require a license, I think)--I'm not sure if any have been passed, or if they only impose restrictions on the amount of ammo, rather than the number of guns.
Slick Willy used to talk about that all the time.

·
Registered
11,100 Posts
kjhof said:
I hadn't remembered that, but why doesn't it surprise me in the least?
Me and my dad used to joke during the Clinton administration about how our household was an arsenal of just .22s or just shotgun shells because the arsonal limits they were talking about included the number of rounds stocked up.

I think thats why this kinda thing didnt catch on. Most households with people involved in the shooting sports would wind up having to be licensed. It would be a bureaucratic nightmare and thats assuming the people trying to be controlled (those armed to the teeth) want to play along nicely...

:biglaugh:

·
Banned
110 Posts
Mus said:
Me and my dad used to joke during the Clinton administration about how our household was an arsenal of . . . the arsonal limits they were talking about included the number of rounds stocked up.
Mus, now I've axed you once already...cease and desist with this misspelling nonsense! :biglaugh:

(I'm kidding, brother!)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.