1911Forum banner

Regular .45 frame: Favorite mainspring housing?

414 16
Title says it all; what's your favorite / most comfortable mainspring housing of choice? Trying to gussy up my regular old Springer GI with something that's not too flashy, but smooth on the palm.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,772 Posts
For a long time I preferred the arched mainspring housing even putting one on my Colt Gold Cup I got for Christmas 1990. Now I prefer the flat mainspring housing with the long trigger.

I always put Pachmyr or Hogue rubber grips on my 1911s. Now I prefer checkered wood.

·
Administrator
80,184 Posts
For me it goes together with the trigger... only short/arched or long/flat for me. I prefer long/flat on custom guns or frequent shooters, but most of my 1911s are short/arched as they're safe queens or collectibles left in their original configuration.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Title says it all; what's your favorite / most comfortable mainspring housing of choice? Trying to gussy up my regular old Springer GI with something that's not too flashy, but smooth on the palm.
I think you just said it. If you want it smoother on the palm, you'd probably be happier with any number of flat mainspring housings...from completely smooth to relatively rough checkering. I prefer the rougher 20-lpi checkering...but companies like Ed Brown make a lot in between with their "Chainlink" and "Snakeskin" patterns. etc.

I'm fine with standard A1 configs with short triggers and arched housings, but I prefer a longer trigger and flat, aggressive checkered housings. I wasted a lot of money on parts figuring that out. But that's only me (y)

They also make a wedge-shaped housing that you might like, but I haven't tried one.

·
Premium Member
3,337 Posts
Whatever comes on my 1911s is my favorite.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I also have both types, and have had them for decades. I can't say I have a strong preference as far as feel goes, but since most come with flat these days, that's usually the way I go. Flat with a long trigger works well for me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I recently installed a Hogue aluminum arched msh on my Ruger LWC. Works well for me.

All my other carry pistols have arched backstraps, so there now is a more consistant grip across the lot.
Thanks, I was lookin at Hogue's. Seems like it provides some good grip without feeling too sharp. I think I'm going to try it.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
So far, the one that came with the 1911. Hasn't broken yet, still works, and no need to get another - yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts