1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I suppose it was inevitable. My interest in older military rifles now has me thinking of getting involved in black powder shooting old revolver replicas, like the Ruger Old Army shown here:

Old Army Link

The older I get, the more I seem to get involved with older firearms for some reason.

I have no clue about the regulation of these things. Are they treated like any other handgun needing to go through an FFL dealer, or can black powder shooters trade these among themselves. I'ver never done any black powder shooting of any type, but these look fun.

Thanks for any help or helpful links.

John

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
I do not believe they are regulated like other handguns. I see them for sale on line with direct mailing to your home. They are also for sale in some farm and home stores around here. I have a .44 cal 1860 Army I bought about 40 years ago. I don't think I've shot it in at least 25 years. The wife really bitched when I brought it home from the range. Smells terrible so I would just break it down, pull the grips, and dump in a bucket of soapy water outside. Yolu will need some toos to maintain it that your other guns don't require such as a nipple wrench.

·
Registered
3,451 Posts
You will need some tools to maintain it that your other guns don't require such as a nipple wrench.
AND a ton of rags.

On the plus side, you can go out to the range with a hand full of bullets, shoot all day and still have some left over. :biglaugh:

·
Administrator
13,322 Posts
The only ones at present requiring a form 4473 are guns like the Thompson Center Encore that will accept cartridge firing barrels .

Enjoy ! I use Pyrodex "P" in mine with good success . As mentioned , cleanup immediately following the range session is highly advisable .

We sell a good number of these . www.uberti.com

·
Registered
538 Posts
For the record, I believe it is illegal to keep more than 50 lbs. of black powder without a license or something like that.:rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! If I start black powder shooting, I'll do it with buddies who already do it and get plenty of good advice on use and cleaning.

I hope I don't get into cowboy action shooting. The wife is irritated enough with my hobby. I start buying period clothing and she'll go nuts. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Shooting BP is a kick! I am a BP hunter and for many years only shot rifles and an occasional single shot pistol (a buddy of mine custom builds BEAUTIFUL BP rifles and pistols) but a few years ago I was in a local pawnshop and found a brand new replica .36 cal Navy which I got for $85.00. I was NOT intending to shoot it but to mount it in a display but already having caps and powder I bought a box of balls and the rest is history (about 1500 rounds of history) Anyway if you decide on a pistol I would recommend a replica like I have but get the steel frame model. Mine is the brass frame variant which is historically correct as the confederates were building them to save steel but they are not a lifetime shooter and will eventually wear out but with moderate shooting it may be a while. ALso if you go with the .36 cal it is cheaper to shoot but the .44's have a lot more ommph! My next will be a .44. Remington. Definatley use your buddies for their advice when getting started as BP shooting can be a little tricky and frustrating at first until you get a system worked out. As far as Cowby Action I came close to getting involved a few years ago when a customer of mine invited me to a local shoot. It was a lot of fun and with my interest in western history and related firearms it seemed like the thing to do but in all honesty I discovered the greater percentage of the attendees at the shoot and the club meeting had no previous experience with firearms of any kind and this was their first. Also the whole "role playing" thing with the nicknames and period clothing was a little more than what I expected and, (at least in our local CA club) it seemed like a popularity contest to see who could spend the most on guns and clothing. I suspect, like many things, it would have been much different 20 years ago when CA was in it's infancy. The conclusion for me was since I was already into other shooting interests I did not pursue it any further.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I suppose it was inevitable. My interest in older military rifles now has me thinking of getting involved in black powder shooting old revolver replicas...
Funny you should mention it John, Ive been seriously thinking about getting a Remington New Model Army clone from Uberti, the company Guy linked to.

Been doing a bunch of reading about the Civil War (Shelby Footes outstanding narrative history set, 3 massive volumes), and the Remington New Model Army was said to be one of the most accurate revolvers of the period due to its having a top strap unlike the Colts.

·
Premium Member
2,158 Posts
My son has a Remington .45 cal and it is alot of fun to shoot. He got it shortly after I introduced him to black powder rifles. He has 2 cylinders for it so reloading goes a little quicker...but it definately is much slower than a .45 auto.:dope:

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
My son has a Remington .45 cal and it is alot of fun to shoot. He got it shortly after I introduced him to black powder rifles. He has 2 cylinders for it so reloading goes a little quicker...but it definately is much slower than a .45 auto.:dope:
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the cylinders for the Remingtons can be swapped out pretty quickly. Clint Eastwood uses one in Pale Rider and swaps the entire cylinder out to reload quickly mid gunfight.

·
Registered
743 Posts
Pyrodex is much cleaner, less dangerous and not as hard on the barrels. I stopped using black powder years ago. Pellets for the rifle and pyrodex powder for the revolv's or I think there is now a pellet for the revolv's also.

Ren

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Holy smokes, Mus! Over 10,000 posts! You go, brother!

I'll have to watch Pale Rider again. I'm not at all familiar with anything prior to the Colt Single Action Army using a cartridge.

So what do you do with the black powder? I'm guessing you load up a cylinder using the ram in the gun, then take it out as your "reload"?

I'm getting more and more interested as I read this thread. My wife is seriously pi$$ed! I started just shooting the 1911 pistol (have 3 over $2K), then got a revolver or two. Then got a .22 rifle for my son. Then an AR-15 as he got older and wanted something bigger. Then got into military rifles (US). Then got into military rifle non-US.

Then son (older now) got me to get a "sniper rifle" (my first time shooting with a scope!). Then I got into reloading.

Now I'm interested in older, black powder revolvers, and maybe building my own AR-15 from parts! It's like a cancer!!!!

I tell my wife she should be grateful I don't golf. I have no doubts that would be much more expensive. ;)

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Depends on your state laws...

Here in Mi they use to be classified as a "Black powder muzzle loading device" and were not regulated, then back in the 70's some idiot AG rendered a opinion they should be and they were until recently when legislation was passed to place them back where they were 30 years ago. Now in AZ I would be willing to bet my next retirement check that you are good to go but I would check with a local FFL first I bet they know.

·
Premium Member
2,693 Posts
Kind of wish you all hadn't started this. I went looking and found my lead pot with lead, about 70 lbs of lead, dipper, bullet mold, powder flask, nipple wrench, and about 250 balls in an old sock. :) Now all I need is some powder and caps. What kind of Pyrodex do the pistols use? Do you still measure the same charge as when using black powder? I can't remember what caps to get either? Do people still slap a little Crisco in the chamber in front of the bullet or is something else used now? I looked up those 1858 New Model Remingtons and that is a nice looking pistol.

·
Registered
9,203 Posts
One thing about Pyrodex, don't believe any one that says is is not corrosive. You have to clean your guns just as soon as you would one that shot B/P. I have seen too many pistols and rifles that were ruined because the owners believed the hype that Pyrodex was non-corrosive.

Since I started out shooting B/P, I'll leave the new fangled stuff to others.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Funny you should mention it John, Ive been seriously thinking about getting a Remington New Model Army clone from Uberti, the company Guy linked to.
+1 On Uberti. Good quality, plus they keep their rollmarks discrete.

One thing though - avoid the cheaper brass framed models. They look cool, but brass simply isn't as durable as steel. I understand shooting long term can stretch them.

BUT, back to topic. It depends where you are. Federally, theres no problem just charging one on the internet. When I lived in DC, though, I might as well have been trying to buy an Uzi.

The ultimate in stupid gun laws, I'd rather have a baseball bat than a cap and ball revolver if I was going to start something. Like drug dealing criminals are going to spend 10 minutes loading before a drive by. I bet they don't even know it's the origin of "bustin' a cap".

·
Registered
198 Posts
Very timely thread. I picked up a used Thompson Center Hawken rifle at the end of the year and have shot it a few times. I really enjoy being involved in the whole loading, cleaning, shooting practice. I feel one with the gun. It's pretty darn accurate as well at over 100 yards with open sites.

I would also like to purchase a C&B revolver and have been going back and forth between the Colt Navy 1851 and the Colt Navy 1861. I love the look of a revolver without the top strap. I have seen several online dealers which have them listed on their websites for >$200. As a matter of fact Cabelas has several.

It amazes me that you can order a BP revolver online and have it delivered to your home or business without having to deal with an FFL. I guess this was the way it was back in the day when you could mail order firearms. Just like the mail order firearm faded away I feel unregistered BP firearms will follow. Get 'em while you can I say.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts