1911Forum banner

Rehash: Simple Green and hot water :)

1842 Views 20 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  nwgunman
This is an old subject but worth rehashing again. How many of you use Simple Green and hot water to clean your firearms? There's a lot of false information floating around about utilizing water to clean guns because the fear of rust. However, I believe it's the American Gunsmithing Institute also highly recommends Simple Green and hot water.

At any rate, I use it in an Ultrasonic Cleaner and it's one hell of a degreaser. After using it in the UC, I rinse it thoroughly with hot water. Then it gets baked in the oven for 10 minutes for a thorough drying. Afterwards, the gun gets lubed.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
885 Posts
Fina

That's surface rust. It's probably from bad plating where bare metal is showing. When I clean my muzzleloaders in hot, soapy water, it surface rusts all the time. HOWEVER, it's easily removed with an oil cloth.

As for how hot, as hot as you can get it! If you're tap water is piping hot, good! If not, heat some water on the stove. The metal should be very hot to the touch but not so hot that it burns your skin

I just got back from the range and will be doing the Simple Green, Ultrasonic Cleaner, hot water routine in a bit.

[This message has been edited by ArmySon (edited 08-21-2001).]

· Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Another note, the 'horror' of using water on a gun is overblown. If you send off your gun for finishing and/or a gunsmith, many use ultrasonic cleaners to speed up the cleaning process. Alas, some cases, they're using water

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.