1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the "relative roughness" of the Caspian frontstrap treatments?

I find sharp conventional checkering to be hard on my desk engineer's hands and have flattened the diamonds on two guns. So I guess that is still an option.

Caspian catalog calls their knurling "best grip and comfortable" but I found here "not for soft hands" which I have.

The diamond plate looks rather like Wilson X pattern but I read somewhere that it is more cosmetic than grippy.

Also, what texture for aluminum? I would worry about fine checkering getting beat down and worn with use.

·
Premium Member
493 Posts
I had Caspian checker my first build, I think it's done by machine and it's the least aggressive checkering pattern I've felt while still being grippy.

Just my opinion, checkering and serrations belong on a 1911, I've had Ed Browns with their Snakeskin treatment and it's kind of cool at first but after a while it looks out of place. I sold my Browns..

I just ordered some frames and slides from Caspian and I was going to try the other treatments they offer but thought to myself what do I do with it when the 'coolness' wears off?

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I had caspian checker the frame on my build at 20lpi I don't find it aggressive at all, probably machined, but very comfortable to me.
JD

·
Registered
15,653 Posts
I have several hard use match guns that I checkered back in the 90s at 30 LPI and they're still sharp enough to grip a sweaty hand. Still look good too.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I find the Caspian checkered front strap to be rough to my hand, so sandpapered the points prior to applying a finish to lessen the effect.

I have found the Caspian serrations to be much "nicer" to my hand while still giving a better grip than a smooth front strap, so have ordered this treatment on subsequent frames. The serrations are also more subtle than checkering.

Hope my experience helps.

Mike

·
Registered
5,031 Posts
I'm with donato and JD. The checkering on my build is much less sharp and aggressive then say a TRP. Grippy but comfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts