1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a Kimber ultra carry ss for my wife. She previously had a taurus PT-140. She loves the new Kimber. My question is how safe and reliable is this gun. I am hearing that the 1911 is not the most reliable gun. What are the chances of accidental discharge when carrying the gun locked and cocked. How detailed is detailing a 1911. I am very comfortable detailing my USP, but am concerned about fouling things up detailing the 1911. Any info will be very helpful. Thanks

·
Banned
14,948 Posts
Here's a good site for detail stripping. It's not that hard once you've done it a dozen times. The problem trend lately seems to be to remember to put the left hand leaf of the sear spring ON TOP of the sear during reassemble - otherwise your hammer won't stay cocked and you'll pull your hair out wondering why!
http://www.m1911.org/stripin1.htm

As far as cocked and locked, it is the ONLY safe way to carry with a round in the chamber - and it is very safe. It just looks scary at first to see the hammer cocked.

[This message has been edited by shane45-1911 (edited 08-16-2001).]

·
Registered
126 Posts
Originally posted by Wade321:
My question is how safe and reliable is this gun. I am hearing that the 1911 is not the most reliable gun.
Only you can determine the reliability of your gun.

I recommend shooting 200 rounds of 230 grain full metal jacket (hardball) ammo through it using all the magazines that you will use.

Then, if your gun is reliable after this 200 round break-in period, shoot 200 rounds of your carry load through the gun. If you have no malfunctions during these 200 rounds, you are good to go with this carry load.

FWIW, after about 350 rounds, I had no problems with my Colt Government Model. The Combat Commander required a trip to the gunsmith for 100% reliability.

-Mk.IV

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
<><> Wade321, I have a ss UC. I have about two thousand rounds thru it. It had some FTF-FTE in the first 5 or 6 hundred rounds. After that it ran without any problems. I rotate the magazines once a month, clean and lube after each range session. The only problems were with Wolf ammo. I have used JHP and ball. Now I just use FMJ for carry, and range use. Have your wife shoot it a lot and enjoy it. Hope this helps somewhat.
Raspy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks that makes me feel better. I forgot to mention it is chambered in .40 S&W. What are good bullet weights to break in the gun with this round.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Wade,
Just shoot it and get accustomed to what it does with different ammo. Your 1911 should be 100% reliable and is 100% safe. Only the shooter makes it dangerious.

------------------
1 peter 5:8

1 - 6 of 6 Posts