1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen recommendation against it. So I got that.
My SA Micro loves reloads, but is not too hot for any of the standard fare.
Soooo, who uses their reloads for carry ammo, and what are your recipes?
I'm leaning toward Silvertips, but will try Gold Dots and others.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
For my Colt Defender (3 inch barrel), I use the Speer 185 grain Gold Dot with Winchester primers, 1.240" OAL and 6.0 to 6.1 grains of Bullseye. (disclaimer: Start low & work up, watching for signs of overpressure!)

This combination produces expansion to 0.710 inch in wet phone books.

I get similar results with the Midway (brass colored) 185 grain HP, Midway P/N 267681, manufacturer unknown.

It just occurred to me: This is a .45 load; is the SA Micro a 9 or a .45?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
45 ACP

I like the sizzle and flat shooting of 185s

·
Registered
24 Posts
My intent is to load SD for my G27- .40 (3.5" barrel) and G36- .45 (3.8" barrel). I have new Startline brass and Gold Dots in 200 grains (AA #5) for .45 auto and Gold Dot 165 grains (Longshot) for .40 S&W. Check out the OEM powder sites for the specs. Interesting in these calibers.

Both of my pistols prefer these powders vs. Bullseye, which is my standard target powder. I find Bullseye to be less accurate in my guns/hands and to have a sharper recoil impulse. When it warms up I will be doing chronographing with my new CED M2 from Santa. Only then will I carry my own handloads.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Interesting the preference differences. I prefer to carry 230 grain hollowpoints because that's the weight I shoot for practice. I find there's less point of impact difference when you hold to a bullet weight, and don't load down your practice ammo too much. I carry 230 Golden Sabers or Hornady XTPs on top of 8.2 grains of HS6, or 6.3 grains of Unique. My favorite practice ammo is a 230 LRN on top of 5.3 grains of W231. Out to 20 yds, they all group in the same general area.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Interesting the preference differences. I prefer to carry 230 grain hollowpoints because that's the weight I shoot for practice. I find there's less point of impact difference when you hold to a bullet weight, and don't load down your practice ammo too much. I carry 230 Golden Sabers or Hornady XTPs on top of 8.2 grains of HS6, or 6.3 grains of Unique. My favorite practice ammo is a 230 LRN on top of 5.3 grains of W231. Out to 20 yds, they all group in the same general area.
I'm buying 185s and I shoot 185 SWC for practice. In fact I'm toying with the idea of just using the Rainier JHP for both.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm buying 185s and I shoot 185 SWC for practice. In fact I'm toying with the idea of just using the Rainier JHP for both.
I gotta vote pretty close to this one. My favorite 185 JHP carry load is from the Hodgdon 26 manual , page 715......10.0 gr HS6. Been loading it since that book was new...... early '90's? I carry it and shoot enough to practice, but don't beat my pistols up with it.They call it +P at 19,900 cup, so I use +P brass. It's pleasant and shoots great in three of my 1911's. The 185 Ranier plated HP and Hodgdon Universal is hard to beat too. While it doesn't duplicate performance, it simulates recoil and point of impact close enough for daily practice
Also, when we're talking metallic centerfire ANYTHING, if I didn't load it, I don't shoot it. Just the way I am :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Also, when we're talking metallic centerfire ANYTHING, if I didn't load it, I don't shoot it. Just the way I am :)
I think I coming around to your way of thinking:rock:

·
Registered
14,937 Posts
Youse guys is gonna get some demerits from the Ayoob Minion Squad! :)

·
Premium Member
2,837 Posts
Yeah. It's been over 24 hours. Where is the Ayoob squad??

I've been waiting for this thread to heat up. :biglaugh:

·
Registered
922 Posts
What does it say if you don't use your own reloads for defense?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
In the unlikely case that I should have to use my 45 to defend myself, do you think it would be ok to ask the cops/coroner for the recovered bullet? Nice to know definitively if you're doing it right.

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
I have to agree with 1BLUE! What does it say if you dont use your own reloads for self defence... I like to think my handloads are far better than any factory ammo out there! Most of my weapons are loaded with handloads. Dont get me wrong factory ammo is fine if thats what you want...
Custom ammo AKA Reloads are better!:rock:

·
Registered
32 Posts
In the unlikely case that I should have to use my 45 to defend myself, do you think it would be ok to ask the cops/coroner for the recovered bullet? Nice to know definitively if you're doing it right.
I see nothing wrong with with such a request!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
NO!
It and your gun will be held as evidence indefinitely:bawling:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Pity. Good reason to keep a couple backup pistols, eh?

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pity. Good reason to keep a couple backup pistols, eh?
I know some officers that were involved in a shooting. The 5 officers that were involved didn't see there guns again for 18 months. And this was cut and dried, barricaded nut job, shot first, two officers injured (GSW). State investigators kept their guns till the very end.

So what is going to happen to civilians?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Bad juju loading your own defensive loads. It will go KA BOOM, befuddle the cops, dazzle the DA, confuse the jury, make the cows dry up, make the pullits quit laying and skeer the wimin n chillins.

If I ever get my hands on another supply of Magnus Bullet 215 gr. SWC, I am going to load up a thousand of them over a generous helping of Unique and use that for my carry load. The meplat on that bullet is the size of a .357 bullet. I figure that it will do about double the damage of a lead RN or a FMJ.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
I won't go into particulars, but Ayoob just wrote a very persuasive article for one of the gun mags against using reloads. He backed all of his points with court decisions. This article has completely discouraged me from carrying reloads. Sorry, but I forget the name of the mag.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts