1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be getting my brand new Kimber Custom SS in about a week...its on order. I will then add Action Pistol and possibly IPSC shooting to my already full Skeet schedule.

I already know I'm going to have to start reloading almost imediately to get the type of load I want for my bullets. Although I reload a lot of shotgun shells every week, I know very little about bullet reloading...Can anyone suggest a good .45 realoader and supplies I may need to get off to a good start? Your help means alot.

Thanks
Absinthe

·
Registered
25 Posts
Well 1st off u need some dies i'd go with Lee carbide dies for 45acp. Next u need a press. i'd go with a kit because that comes with most everything u need except powder, primmers, brass, and bullets. There r a couple other things u need that aren't in the kit. Depends on how much $$$ u want to spens Lee is a good starter set. RCBS is 150$$$ more because with a little more stuff, and i think a little bit better build stuff. i would also pick up a dial caliper to measure the overall lenght of the ammo. hope this helps u out

·
Registered
841 Posts
If you aren't in a hurry to get the reloading equipment, you can search the local ads for guys selling off their used stuff. You need to do some research in regards to prices and that should prevent you from paying too much for the used stuff. I've got some terrific deals locally on some quality stuff (Dillon & RCBS). You can do better than half off at times for stuff that's in great shape and still covered by a lifetime warranty.

You will need a press (single stage or progressive).
reloading manual
Carbide dies and shellholder
dial calipers
powder measure
scale
tumbler and media (to clean your brass)
Bullets, primers, and powder

·
Registered
2,005 Posts
Your most important purchase will be one or more reloading manuals - the more, the better - unless you already have recent versions of these.

To start, you might want to work up some loads built around 230-grain full metal jacket (FMJ) bullets and Bullseye powder. That's a good place to start getting your feet wet, and you can also find a good load for a lifetime of practice and plinking.

My first press was an RCBS Rock Chucker, which I still use after 30 years. It's as durable and foolproof as a crowbar, and since I reload for fun as well as for something to shoot, I don't mind that it's slower than a progressive press.

Enjoy!

------------------
If God didn't want us to own guns, why did He make the 1911?

·
Registered
105 Posts
If you get into ISPC shooting you will burn thousands of rounds in practice just to be competative. Since you have a basic knowledge of reloading (shotgun reloading) you will probably need progressive reloading equipment. Look at the Dillon product lineup. Most likely the 550B will fit the bill. Ordinarily I would recommend to start with a single stage press, but your needs are going to exceed your alloted time with single stage equipment. Get you an assortment of reloading manuals and read them cover to cover before you begin loading. Check all the reloading links on the internet so you can get an up to the minute overview on what products are available , pet loads and current trends. Then roll up your sleeves and go get 'um!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great advice all. Thank you. I am now getting over the inital excitement of getting a new toy...the kimber, and I'm starting to slow down and really take a look at what I'll need to get the job done correctly. Your advice is a great help.

Absinthe

------------------
"...he that hath no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one."
Luke 22:36

1 - 6 of 6 Posts