1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with all parts and accessories to load 9mm and 45. I decided to go with 231 (on the advice of the salesman at Dillon) for both calibers.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I think you'll be real happy. You might come to the later realization, though, that it just doesn't make alot of sense to reload 9mm ammo at today's prices (Wolf, Blazer, S&B, etc).

Plus, I hate having to change out the primer operation from lg. primers to small.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My recent experience with Wolf is one of the main reasons I finally took the plunge and got the equipment.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
There ARE a few others that are cleaner, reloadable and still just as cheap...It's just very available and cheap right now and reloading it is certainly a fun thing and a way to get lots of ammo that you are tailormaking...but...it's not cheaper. There are lots of calibers that are cheaper to reload and it is a great way to get very consistent ammo...Good luck and be safe

------------------
>>>>>>>>>>g2<<<<<<<<<<

I Like The Shade Too!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by gyp_c:
There ARE a few others that are cleaner, reloadable and still just as cheap...It's just very available and cheap right now and reloading it is certainly a fun thing and a way to get lots of ammo that you are tailormaking...but...it's not cheaper.
OK, I can load 9mm for 62.60/1000. If you'll point me to the source for loaded 9mm for that price, I'll just leave the 9mm dies in the box.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
I don't know about you, AKM, but the $30 I could save for the 5 or so hours of reloading time could be better spent some other place......like shooting?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Much as I'd like to spend every waking hour shooting, it's not going to happen.

5 hours to load 1,000 rounds? Not with a Dillon 550.

My decision to reload isn't solely based on economics. It will take me a long time just to break even considering what I spent on equipment. But just as I get more satisfaction stepping on the throttle of an engine I built myself, I'm sure I'll enjoy shooting ammo I loaded myself more than factory fodder. I look on it as an extension of my shooting hobby. The fact that I can save some money just makes it that much better.

------------------
No Second Place Winner

·
Registered
126 Posts
AKMer, make some little tabs out of a plastic milk jug to put under the brass locater buttons. An A-1 mod. for any dillon press

·
Registered
347 Posts
Fremont,
Thousnd rounds of 9mm on a 550, might take about 2 hours,and that's taking it easy, with my old single stage press, best I could do was 50 rounds an hour,

·
Registered
144 Posts
Congrats on a good purchase, AKM! I've used a single stage Rock Chucker for over 20 yrs before I got my 550 and now I'm spoiled. 231 is very good for .45's as it meters very well. I also get the lead bullets I use from Dillon - 200 gr. SWC (Meister).

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by HazMat:
I also get the lead bullets I use from Dillon - 200 gr. SWC (Meister).
Actually that is my bullet choice as well. I figured I'd start with 5gr of 231 and work up till I hit 850fps.

Dvcerk, what is the deal with the tabs under the locator buttons?

------------------
No Second Place Winner

[This message has been edited by AKM (edited 08-18-2001).]

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
Boy, my hat is off to anyone who can reload 500 rounds/hr for a sustained period of time, like 2 hours. Heck, I'd be happy with 200 rds/hr.

At 500/hr, that's one about every 7 seconds. That means advancing the case, grabbing a spent case and placing the bullet. How about checking the case for the proper charge level?

In my house, the phone's ringing, nature calls, etc. Someone even said 500/hr was "taking it easy," while even Mike Dillon himself advertises 300-400/hr.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Fremont,
You should go reread the dillon catalog,they advertise the 550-b with a loading rate of 500-600 rounds an hour,( pg 13,august,2001) and yes, it's quite possiable,I can do a 100 rounds in 10 mintues, as far as checking the powder, once the measure is set up where you want it it stays put, I usually check mine when I start and about halfway through, and on the last one, no, it doesen't take that long (I use a digital scale) with flake or ball powders the dillon powder measure works very well, usually does'nt vary by much more than 2-tenths, which is fine by me, You can use extruded powders as well,as long as the caliber you're using them in is larger than .30 cal, (smaller than that and the "sticks" get hung up in the powder funnel) But, shorter cut, extruded powders like varget, seem to work ok, 500 rounds an hour? Yes, you can do it!

[This message has been edited by Ralph (edited 08-19-2001).]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts