1911Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's your rules?

Do you do it for cost of material alone, and if you do, do you buy the material or do you have them buy the material?

Do you charge per round with a slight profit?

I've offered to reload for a buddy and thought a good deal would be if he supplied his own brass I'd take 200-250 rounds out of each 1000 rounds worth of material that he bought, using my brass for my cut.

Does that sound fair? It figures out to a $40 savings per thousand over S&B

·
Registered
29 Posts
My "rules"

My feelings on reloading for friends are don't do it.

I will reload some special hunting rifle rounds for my hunting group but they have to be with me when I do it and "help". They also chip in to help cover components or it "works out in the wash."

I won't reload handgun ammo for anyone let alone try to make out on it. If I were to screw up I want the consequences to fall on me not on a friend or worse a stranger.

Personally, I think you're sticking your neck out on liability for very little gain.

I saw someone's signature that went kind of like this: "Reloads are like underware, be carefull who you change with."

Dog

·
Registered
85 Posts
NO NO NO!!!
If your Friend would get hurt they will talk to a Lawyer, it's not worth it.
I have let people use my equipment (supervised) to see if they like it but not for all there reloading.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I have done it on a very limited basis. Usually to demonstrate how to reload or throw a box of 50 to a bro who ran out.

Even though very limited I still feel like I take a big risk doing it. It has not happened yet but blowing up someone's prized pistol is not a good thing.

Look at it this way---its not a matter of "IF" but "WHEN"

I NEVER shoot anyones reloads but mine EVER!

·
Registered
21,966 Posts
Don't do it.
The only gun ever blown up on our range was demolished with loaned reloads.

Case of:
"I'm out of ammo, guess I'm done for the day."
"Stick around, shoot some of mine."
KaBoom.

Fortunately the shooter was not hurt or offended enough to sue and the loader got out for the price of a new gun.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
NO...NO...NO!!

Don't beat around the bush, just go ahead and tell me how you feel about it!!!LOL

Thanks, the liability part of it never crossed my mind. We had initially talked about going in together on the initial machine purchase but for one reason or another that didn't pan out so we've casually discussed the alternative listed in my original post. I'll have to rethink the matter now and either come up with an alternative or just say no.

·
Banned
975 Posts
sharing a press works well, but loading for someone else is definately a bad idea. not that you'd ever intentionally make a mistake, but it happens.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Not only are there liability issues but, if you gain from the rounds you load for him you become a manufacture. The BATF frowns on unlicensed firearms and related products. NEVER TAKE MONEY OR GOODS IN TRADE FOR RELOADS!!
To "teach" him to load on your equipment is one thing, to load for him is another.
Just say no..................

·
Registered
407 Posts
here is what I do, I'm not saying it's right, but none the less

I load for me and two other people.

I pull the handle and the other two tumble and run for components.

here comes where I feel like I have some but very little comfort level.

the other 2 people must come over and pull the handle about once a month, I don't care how many times they pull the handle but they must do that part.

in the event that there ever is a problem in court, they can't honestly say it was my reloaded round that caused the problem with 100% certainity.

it's not the best solution but it works for me.

oh yhea there isn't any money exchanged either.

sno

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I have total and absolute confidence in my reloads.

With that said, I reload for my Dad, but he is the only one. I have to make up for all those thousands upon thousands of reloads of his that he let me shoot during my youth.

As far as friends go, I agree with NO!, NO!, NO! Regardless of the activity, combining business with friends usually ends up ugly at some point. Liability concerns are not to be ignored either.

·
Registered
398 Posts
As a general rule, I don't reload for anyone except myself.

Although, I will be more than happy to teach you how to reload and let you reload on my equipment.

Besides, you may get someone into a new hobby, or at least have a new shooting partner...

I never really *got into guns* until I started reloading. That's where the fun begins.

esheato...

·
Registered
505 Posts
I never shoot other people's reloaded ammo. I load my own, and occasionally toss a box to my brother, but I have turned down several requests from friends and acquaintences because of the potential liability. Looks like I am not alone.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Better to encourage the friend to reload on their own.
The more reloaders, the more people buying the ingredients and tools, the more stuff sold, the better the selection, etc...

Also, the potential disaster factor would make me not want to do this for anyone.

Dave

·
Registered
15,319 Posts
THEY GOT LAWS..............

Federal law allows one to reload used cases from someone, but otherwise a FFL 06 is required.
Required.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I show friends how for a few rounds slowly then let them do it and watch. I have one friend who loaded 5-10K on my press and finally bought his own. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts