1911Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hearing people can reload 45 ACP for $80 per 1000 rounds.
Is this possible ?
I buy reloads from the range I shoot at. I pay $150 for 1000 rounds of 230 grain RN - TMJ.
What would this cost me for a 1000 rounds - once I have the reloading eqipment and the brass ?

·
Registered
4,076 Posts
The best I can do is point you to a "sticky" thread about this on THR - I hope that's ok with the mods here. Alot of info and links in that thread.

You can do much better than $80/1000 though, there are guys here that get down to around $50/1000. Depends what kind of bullets you buy (lead or jacketed) or if you cast your own, what kind of powder in what quantities, etc.

What I do know is reloading will save you money as the reloading eqipment will pay for itself in no time, and it is a fun and rewarding hobby.

Saving Money By Reloading

·
Registered
183 Posts
I actually save money. I shoot the same weather I reload or go store bought.

My costs are about $50/1000, maybe a speck less, depending on how picky you want to calculate.

Powder and Primer are about a penny each.
Lets put a penny in for brass. I cast my own bullets using wheelweights, which I get for free. So my cost for lead is nothing, but lets put $.02 on those to cover the cost of melting power, flux, etc...

That makes my rounds about $.05, probably less.
I don't pay for brass very often. I bought 500 new cases to get me started, and I've lost track of how many times I've reloaded them. I usually increase my brass count every time I shoot, since my range lets me scrounge, as long as I'm not bothering anyone else in the range.

I do not add in a dollar factor for my time, since reloading does not cut into my income. I use my sit on the couch and watch TV time for reloading.

The cheapest ammo in my area is about $10 per box. So each box I don't buy saves me at least $7.00. Shooting 4 boxes each week, I figure I recouped the expense of my reloading tools in less than three months.

Dave

·
Banned
1,607 Posts
If you figure your time at 0 dollars then you can certainly save money reloading.
200 gr SWC .025
primer .013
powder .006
Total of about $44M

·
Registered
398 Posts
On ething to look at.. the reloads that they have at my range, are cheap, but for competition shooting they don't make Major Power factor, so you have to buy better. (Our 'range' ammo worked out to 155 PF - 180FMJ - Montana Gold - but, they shoot real soft, good for my wife to shoot. )

The difference between 'good' ammo and reloads is much great savings - and you can work up exactly what you want.

If it was the same price, I would still reload mine. Mine are about .08 to .09 a round (230FMJ RN).

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Berkim,
Thanks that was the info I was looking for.
I pay 15 cents per round for 230 grain round nose - with a total metal jacket- when i guy reloaded ammo. So 80 dollars for 1,000 is accurate estimate for simialer ammo.
so were do you buy TMJ 230 Gr 45 bullets from ? Do you have a low cost sourse ?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Reloading - How much can i save ?
As Eddie said earlier... I doubt you will save a dime :D But will shoot a whole lot more…

Here’s how it happened for me;
1. Bought a .45
2. Shot factory ammo for while
3. Realized that the 45 is a lot of fun to shoot… but it is getting expensive
4. Bought the required equipment $ and started to reload.
5. I figured that I would need to fire X amount of reloads to pay for the equipment…
6. Since I don’t like be in debt, I started to shoot more ammo… to pay for the equipment sooner!
7. Reloading went from been “something to do to save a few $” to been a hobby
8. Since reloading is now a hobby, I want to do it as often as possible.
9. But since I don’t have that many brass, I need to go to the range to shoot some ammo… in order to have fired brass to reloads…

And don’t laugh, it only gets worse as you start to shoot other calibers… or start to cast your own bullets! Hey, you need the lead right :mummy:
On the plus side, the girlfriend always knows where to find me! At the reloading bench or the range…

Safe shooting,
Mike.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I shoot about a case a week of reloads. I pay $150 for 1000 rounds as I said earlier. Since I do not drink, smoke or take drugs. The 150 bucks is not killing me financially.
My issues with the reloads is - the quality is inconsistent. I would like to learn more about ammo and different loads. I really want more consistent quality in ammo.
Buying reloads is very easy. I shoot my gun. Push the brass forward. go home. When I am running low on ammo- I tell them I need another 1,000 rounds and it is there waiting for me at the range.
Now may major problem is I live in an apartment in San Fran. I have no room to reload. I looked into renting a space - that did not work. I rather not buy property here.
So I guess I need to think about it more- now that I know I can save $70 a week. That is almost 4,000 a year. I originally thought I would be only having 40 a week. Reloading sounds like it might be worth the little bit of effort I have to put in.
thanks for your help

·
Premium Member
13,220 Posts
pinheadbob, my cost breakdown is as follows:

Powder = 1 cent per round (I shoot Clays which comes in 14 oz jars not 16) This could be cheaper if I could find the 4 or 8 lb containers locally.

Primers = 1.4 cents per round. I buy the sleeves of 5000 for $70

Bullets = 5.2 cents per round for 200 gr. FMJ from Golden West Brass locally. I don't pay shipping for them. 230 gr is same price.

Brass is free since I always saved mine when I began shooting lots of .45. I've been reloading for a year now and still have boxes and boxes of once fired brass. I reload each case about 8 -10 times and I cycle about 1200 cases until I designate them as range brass and leave them.

Do some searches on reloading benches here and on the Brian Enos forum to see some "compact" set-ups.

As mentioned the reason some don't save money is because they shoot so much more. At 3600 rounds/month, this may not apply to you. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I might shoot less. Now I need time for reloading. But I will not have to shoot my 9 mm as much. I can go all 45 all the time.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
If you're really doing it to save money, and don't count your time, you need to be really disciplined and only buy what you're going to use/need, maybe not get the "best" of everything.

If you start buying digital powder scales, and that sort of top-of-the-line gadgets, it won't be money-saving any more. If you don't shoot a lot, maybe even a Dillon isn't cost-effective. (Heresy, on this forum, I know.)

I think I got started for less than $200 total for equipment the first year, but once I got going I've now spent a lot on thoughtless things I don't need, so my savings are all just "re-invested" in the activity.

If you're doing it to save money, just research, and think it out beforehand. Shop carefully, combine purchases where you can to save shipping costs.

The usual gun sites, like gunsamerica.com, auctionarms.com, and gunbroker.com (as well as ebay.com) all have reloading stuff galore for sale, both new and used. But it's not always a savings. One vendor had stuff on his own web-site cheaper than what the auctions were going for, amazingly the auction site even had the link to his web-site. I couldn't understand why people just bid without doing the simple research that would have saved them some money.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
If you want the very best deals for 230 gr. FMJ, check:

www.gibrass.com

Jeff Bartlett is a great businessman and a gentleman. I have done business with him before, and will do lots more.

·
Registered
3,878 Posts
My reloading equipment was given to me (hand me down) so I'm making out like a bandit :) . In the last three months I've already shot more than I used to in a year! I figure I am shooting 45 caliber for what I could buy 9mm at its cheapest..... $4 to $6 per 50rds. I think there is a savings if you shoot lead bullets and conserve your powder.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
At present I reload a 185 grain SWC cost $43.00 a 1,000: primers are $16.95 a 1,000: and the powder I use is purchased in 4 lb cans for about $56.00 and I use it up at about 1 lb per 1,000 rounds. Add it up and it is a whole lot less expensive and better than the cheapest ammo you can find. Yes my time is worth something but for me it is therpy and I enjoy my time at the bench. You can load more exocitic rounds that will cost more but for plinking this beats the heck out of any factory stuff. Pay back on the reloading equip will vary dependant uppon how much you shoot. :D

·
Registered
398 Posts
pinheadbob2002 said:

so were do you buy TMJ 230 Gr 45 bullets from ? Do you have a low cost sourse ?
My club does quanity buys. We're goold FMJ's (not plated) at $62M. That's including with 8.3/4 % tax (ridiculus huh?) and 5% for the club.

Most of the good ones:

Montana Gold, Zero - will have good prices but the shipping will kill you - unles you buy enough - check with your club, or other you know that shoot. The big price breaks start at (I think) 200Lbs, since they go as freight - that's only 7K bullets? something like that.

Depending on where you live, you could even pick them up?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts