1911Forum banner

Reloading Keith Style .44 Hard Cast.

600 20
Bag Luggage and bags Textile Grey Air gun

Ordering some 260 gr Keith Style Flat Base from Rim Rock Bullets, and was wondering if anyone has loaded these bullets, or a similiar 260 gr bullet?
I’m loading for a Taurus M-44, and I’m not looking for max loads with H-110, but will be loading with CFE Pistol, and Unique. Don’t think the Taurus is equal in strength to a 29 Smith and certainly nothing like a Redhawk, but would like to work up some loads in the 1100-1150 fps range that won’t put any undue stress on the Taurus .44, so I’d be interested in anyones experience loading this bullet, or for a similiar Taurus .44 Mag. I’m really looking for a bigger hammer than 180’s in my Service Six without having to buy a new revolver!
Reactions: VF-1 and 4barrel
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
17,464 Posts
I used to load those 275 gr. Keith's with Unique powder for some mid-range loads, but back in my youth I was chasing magnum loads, so didn't load very long with Unique. They were plenty accurate, but not what I would consider "hunting" loads.

Reactions: Michael W Cuber

·
Super Moderator
17,464 Posts
“Mid-range” is kind of what I’m looking for, and the weight and hardness should insure some penetration, but I don’t trust the Taurus with the Heavy “Hunting Loads” or “Bear Loads.” The manual states to not use 300gr or heavier loads like the Buffalo Bore.
Were the bullets you used with Unique cast, and did you run them with, or without, a gas-check? Did they lead the bore?
I have used them in the S&W 24-3, but they were too heavy to stabilize very well and had to go back to 240's. In the magnums, the 275 gr. were gas-checked and casted from my Lyman 429244 mold - never a hint of leading even at 1220 fps (bear load/hunting load). If the fit is proper, the plain base should be more than sufficient for your mid-range loads without issue as long as the fit is right AND they are not too hard (I estimate for mid-range that is above 14 Brinell hardness but the first key is FIT to your chambers and bore). The nice thing about LSWC in fairly blunt nose designs with long bearing surfaces is that once the bullet gets to the cylinder gap, the bore is already sealed by the front driving band, so you don't get gas blow-by which causes most of the leading problem in firearms.

BTW - I'm using Rim Rock 158 gr. LSWC's in my S&W model 66 and have no leading with a bevel base LSWC from them after 200 rounds in a range session.

·
Super Moderator
17,464 Posts
Thank you very much—I feel like I’m on the right track with this. The data I’ve looked at with Unique goes from 10 gr to 11.2 for right at 1200 fps. I’ve had Grizzly’s come through my yard here in Eastern Interior Alaska, but have had some of my closest calls with Cow Moose, so I want more penetration than anything else.
They will penetrate well methinks. I spent a year in Alaska, and it is a beautiful place - albeit unforgiving of mistakes.

Reactions: Michael W Cuber
1 - 3 of 3 Posts