1911Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bag Luggage and bags Textile Grey Air gun

Ordering some 260 gr Keith Style Flat Base from Rim Rock Bullets, and was wondering if anyone has loaded these bullets, or a similiar 260 gr bullet?
I’m loading for a Taurus M-44, and I’m not looking for max loads with H-110, but will be loading with CFE Pistol, and Unique. Don’t think the Taurus is equal in strength to a 29 Smith and certainly nothing like a Redhawk, but would like to work up some loads in the 1100-1150 fps range that won’t put any undue stress on the Taurus .44, so I’d be interested in anyones experience loading this bullet, or for a similiar Taurus .44 Mag. I’m really looking for a bigger hammer than 180’s in my Service Six without having to buy a new revolver!

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I generally despise anything manufactured by Taurus, but that’s one good looking 44!
It’s a long story, but I’ve had two N frame .44’s in the past that went away to good homes. A friend brought this revolver over when he was considering buying it, and wanted me to check it out ( wanted to know if the side plate had ever been removed, and if it timed on all the cylinders, and if the trigger had been messed with ). After looking it over, there were no faults that I could find, and my friend bought it.
A few months later, and he came by needing to sell it, so I gave him cash for it, knowing that it timed good in both single and double action—it kind of became a “Truck Gun.” I’ve shot mostly .44 Specials through it, and a few magnums, but never played with any heavier weight than 240’s.
It’s a different frame than the Tracker, and locks more like a Smith than the Raging Bull, so I’m really curious about what others may have encountered when working up loads for this model?

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I used to load those 275 gr. Keith's with Unique powder for some mid-range loads, but back in my youth I was chasing magnum loads, so didn't load very long with Unique. They were plenty accurate, but not what I would consider "hunting" loads.
“Mid-range” is kind of what I’m looking for, and the weight and hardness should insure some penetration, but I don’t trust the Taurus with the Heavy “Hunting Loads” or “Bear Loads.” The manual states to not use 300gr or heavier loads like the Buffalo Bore.
Were the bullets you used with Unique cast, and did you run them with, or without, a gas-check? Did they lead the bore?

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have used them in the S&W 24-3, but they were too heavy to stabilize very well and had to go back to 240's. In the magnums, the 275 gr. were gas-checked and casted from my Lyman 429244 mold - never a hint of leading even at 1220 fps (bear load/hunting load). If the fit is proper, the plain base should be more than sufficient for your mid-range loads without issue as long as the fit is right AND they are not too hard (I estimate for mid-range that is above 14 Brinell hardness but the first key is FIT to your chambers and bore). The nice thing about LSWC in fairly blunt nose designs with long bearing surfaces is that once the bullet gets to the cylinder gap, the bore is already sealed by the front driving band, so you don't get gas blow-by which causes most of the leading problem in firearms.

BTW - I'm using Rim Rock 158 gr. LSWC's in my S&W model 66 and have no leading with a bevel base LSWC from them after 200 rounds in a range session.
Thank you very much—I feel like I’m on the right track with this. The data I’ve looked at with Unique goes from 10 gr to 11.2 for right at 1200 fps. I’ve had Grizzly’s come through my yard here in Eastern Interior Alaska, but have had some of my closest calls with Cow Moose, so I want more penetration than anything else.

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
After hunting with a 44 magnum for many years with near max loads, I have settled on a new strategy in my older age. In my S&W 629 Mountain Gun I have standardized on two loads that fill my needs in Texas, and occasional trips to Colorado to fly fish. I only load 250 hard cast Keith loads in either 44 Special of 44 Magnum. In Specials I load the infamous Skeeter load at 7.5gr of Unique, and in 44 Mag I jump it up to 10gr of Unique in 44 mag cases. If I can get just over 1000 fps out of a 4" barrel with 250gr of Hard Cast that should accomplish any goal I have in the field these days with a very controllable load.
What you’re describing is about exactly what I’m trying to achieve with the Taurus—thank you very much; I feel like I’m on track with this project!

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I too like hard cast ‘Keith’ swc bullets.

My Lyman 429421 mold drops 240gr linotype slugs.
I load those over a dollop of 2400 in both special and magnum brass.

If I were to load a 265 grain hard cast plain base swc…
I think I’d start in the 15-16 grain range for 2400 or
maybe 8 grains Unique. But, would really prefer the 2400 powder.

I have found that hard casts swc bullets to preform extremely well.

Just my .02

///
Thank you Keith44Special. I might try that route, and never thought of reducing 2400. I’ve got a bunch of H-110 and it can’t be reduced and wasn’t trying for a 1300-1400 fps load. Around 1100 is what I’m shooting for, and would be completely happy with an accurate load at that velocity. I’ll keep my eye out for some 2400 and give it a try.

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If you can't find any 2400 that's OK. According to the Lyman 50th Addition you can run a Keith 429421 245gr bullet over Unique up to 13gr at 1147fps out of a 4" barrel. If 10grs is not enough you can inch your way up towards 13gr, and stop at your comfort level. I'm not a Unique salesman, I have just discovered it is a more comfortable powder with plenty of power for my needs these days. I hunted with 2400 and H110/W296 in my earlier days and they are all great powders.
I’m going to start with 10gr and work up. Didn’t consider that with 2400 I could cut back and work up. My target velocity is 1100 fps + or -, and I’ve got CFE Pistol and Unique available.
Thanks for the reply!

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I’m just trying to work with what I’ve got available, at the time I couldn’t find any Unique, still trying to find some Bluedot for 10 mm loads but it seems to be rarer than hens teeth. Another .44 Mag load I’m loading for two legged varmits is 8 gr. Red Dot and a Speer 4427 200 gr Gold Dot 44 Spl bullet. Chronos around 975 fps.
Working with what you have available or can find seems to be the common story during this supply shortage.

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Great shooting, I am using 7.5 to 8.0g Unique and RimRocks in special cases for my Smith 329pd. works for me now in TN!
Tried heavier loads, but they were getting a little sticky and harder to follow up with—the 9.5 Grs of CFE was the best group I’ve shot in a long time, and I think it would be more controllable in double action than some of the others. I also really liked how Oregon Trails / Rim Rock packaged the bullets; the box of 500 Rim Rocks were in two other boxes with paper packed around them!

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
It is a SS handgun so wasn't selling quick enough for Murdocks in Missoula. They red tagged this one for 449.00 NIB out the door. I couldn't pass it up. Numbered line bored cylinder. Their Competition Ready model for the SASS crowd. To me, it is the perfect woods gun for knocking around or horse packing.

I just pretend it is a custom nickel plated Colt. This works for me LOL I had Jeff Morrow saddle maker build a simple cross draw holster for it View attachment 660157
View attachment 660156
Chance-dg, that is a very nice rig for $449. I’ve had Colt SAA’s, but for the money they now command, I’d rather have a Vaquero, Peitta, Uberti, Cimarron, or EMF. You get more bang for your buck, so to speak—main thing is you can shoot them and have fun without depreciating their value. What I found with the replicas was that some are built better than others, depending on when, and where, and who put them together, so really looking them over before buying goes a long way in insuring you get one that times right and shoots well. That SS Single Action really looks like a Nice One!
You might be surprised what you can do by Chance with a 250 Gr RN Cowboy load at 800 fps—EMF SAA, and a much younger me back when I lived in Idaho!
Hood Jaw Wheel Automotive tire Tire
Wood Fawn Art Tail Snout

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’ve got H-110, but I didn’t want to go that direction because it can’t be reduced, and, honestly, I don’t know if the Taurus would handle very many of those. I was trying for a load that might give me around 1100 fps. Not enough light here to use my Chrono, but I will this spring and see what these loads are actually doing. Might try some 2400 if I can scrounge some.

· Premium Member
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I will leave my personal opinions of Taurus revolvers out of it, but I do understand the cylinder may not be long enough for the 429421. Not sure how Rim Rock bullets are designed. If they are too long, try .44 Special brass.

Here's some good reading about Keith's heavy .44 Special (+P?)_loads using 2400. Note they differentiate between early and late brass as well as the different burn rates of early/modern 2400.
I don’t have much confidence in Taurus, because previously I’ve had to send them all back, so I know the sentiment. So far this one is being very well behaved, and my friend wanted some cash out of it at a time when I wasn’t going to spend a thousand on a Smith &Wesson.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts