1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
Anyone else having issues finding a particular powder, primer or bullet? Varget has been particularly absent for a while now. RL 15 too. I am slightly worried about IMR 4064 (probably unfounded). As far as bullets are concerned..... .45 (.45acp) is somewhat sparce in my AO. Is online the only way, paying out the nose or rear for S&H?

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
You should be worried!

Go to the stores and look at the shelves.
See how many are empty.
See how spread out things the other shelves are.

The warehouses have been drawn down and there is precious little left.

Manufacturing can't "work from home".

·
Premium Member
2,907 Posts
Order your bullets separate from primers or powder. Then you avoid Hazmat fees.
Buy/order/back order powder and/or primers in larger volumes to reduce cost/lb/item .
Finding what you want is not easy. Seek alternative powders. In person shopping is a waste of time.

·
Premium Member
663 Posts
DAMN!

How many cave dwellers are there in the gun owner ranks?

This type of question comes up on an almost daily basis on every gun forum I haunt.

·
Registered
83 Posts
went to my lgs last weekend
was able to get
2k spp
2k lpp
1k srp
50/1k
a bit high, but they had a few

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
All,

Anyone else having issues finding a particular powder, primer or bullet? Varget has been particularly absent for a while now. RL 15 too. I am slightly worried about IMR 4064 (probably unfounded). As far as bullets are concerned..... .45 (.45acp) is somewhat sparce in my AO. Is online the only way, paying out the nose or rear for S&H?
Just took delivery of 2k Extreme bullets (.355 & .357). I ordered last week & they were delivered yesterday.

As far as powder & primers, I've got about enough to last me till next summer, based right now on what I load & shoot.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Just took delivery of 2k Extreme bullets (.355 & .357). I ordered last week & they were delivered yesterday.

As far as powder & primers, I've got about enough to last me till next summer, based right now on what I load & shoot.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk
extremes website says they are no taking orders for 7-10 days while they catch up

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
I just took delivery of 5k CCI SPP today from Midwayusa. Got an email from them late on Saturday night and got my 5k limit. They got some Winchester SPP on Sunday night/Monday morning but I was asleep and couldn't order any.

With hazmat/tax/shipping, the 5k CCI SPPs were $200.

·
Super Moderator
14,615 Posts
$200 is high but not outrageous, IMHO. About 25 years ago, when I first started buying primers in 5K quantities, I paid 65$/5K. At gun show with no tax or hazmat.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
DAMN!

How many cave dwellers are there in the gun owner ranks?

This type of question comes up on an almost daily basis on every gun forum I haunt.

Hey!

Let's not disparage cave dwellers.

Some of them are very nice creatures.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I went to my LGS today hoping.......I did find 2000 LRP, 3lbs of powder and 2 boxes of 230 FMJ (Hornady). Due to the COVID 19 saga, only 20 persons in the store at one time. Masks on policy was mandatory. Rifle quantities were quite slim, similar to Sandy Hook. There was definitely kind of a weird vibe in the store. Cabelas was just laughable.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Anybody seen any 9mm or 45acp Gold Dots? That's about all I'm short of right now, just want to add to the 'collection'.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I've got plenty of bullets and powder, but I was a bit short on small pistol primers. My local vendor has been out since March. When and if they come in stock online, the hazmat and shipping charges are restrictive.

Finally, I pulled up my store's website and checked primer availability at all of their stores. To my surprise, I found a number of stores that still showed them in stock. The problem was that they were a couple of states away from me. So what, I finally figured? I'm retired...

The next morning, the Missus and I loaded up and drove 375 miles one way. I scored 5 bricks of CCI SPP. No shipping, no hazmat. Just a day of fun driving through country we hadn't seen before.

We turned it into a 3 day mini vacation. It was great to get out of the house during this crapfest pandemic, anyway. 2 days ago, I did a day trip to Lincoln, NE and picked up a couple of bricks of LPP. I'm good to go. :rock:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Single-action revolvers can be a lot of fun, I'm considering loading up some black powder, (well, the fake stuff).
Lots of Triple 7 around, and a well compressed load of it gives some impressive results in .44Mag and .45Colt.
Enough smoke/flame to make everybody around laugh,, or gag.

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
All,
Yes.

I’m have much more than issues.

Yes.

I’m beyond.......way beyond.....slightly worried.

If the democrats win in November this is going to get much worse.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Scored 11 bricks of small pistol primers within last 7 days. Nine days ago neither shop had any. A great price, $34, about the same as I averaged all pre-COVID including Hazmat/Shipping. Also found a massive selection of powders at reasonable prices, though VV powders are costly when only 1lb bottles available. At least I got some N320, though. First time in 2 years. That stuff seems rather than unicorns.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
I'm sitting pretty good. I'm sitting on around 65K of primers for all firearms and plenty of powder, brass, and bullets. I won't say how much powder I have except to say I won't be inviting the Fire Marshall over for coffee.. LOL
I started buying before the panic that I knew was coming happened.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Varget was very hard to get back in the Obama years, it's still pricey at $32/lb, if you can even find it.
Pre-Virus if you we're stocked up heading in to an election you planned poorly. I had been buying supplies every two weeks for a year and I haven't really wanted for anything, lately. I've reduced my shooting volume though, few pistol mags or a 30rd at a time is about all I'll fire off these days.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts