1911Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How often do you use reloads? When do you decided to use a reload or a brand name ammo on your favorite Colt? Do you reload bullets yourself?

The price difference may not be that significant for 200 rounds or so but if a person shoots or plan to go the range 3 times a week, it can carry some weight.

Thanks in advance for your input.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
My colt's prefer reloads. Reduced recoil, reduced wear and reduced cost and increased accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to put my reloads in any gun. Of course I use reasonable powder charges and follow strict quality control methods.

This past weekend I got to shoot a fellow shooters vintage WWII GI .45 that his father carrried and brought back home. It was 100% stock. It fed my reloads consisting of 200 H&G swc, 4.5 grains Winchester WST and federal 150 primers just fine.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Actually, the ability of my Colt 1911 to shot reloads reliably coupled with the savings in money (although it can be debated that the more you reload the more you shoot) and comfort of knowing how my reloads shoot converted me into an avid reloader. Once, I would buy whatever factory as well as reload I could find to shoot, however, not all ammo is made equally. Different brands even in the same weight shot differently. Now, I still buy factory 45acp on occasion but the bulk of ammo I run through my Colt and Kimber are reloads made by me.

Happy Shooting

Spec
:cool:

·
Premium Member
904 Posts
rdinak said:
My colt's prefer reloads. Reduced recoil, reduced wear and reduced cost and increased accuracy. I wouldn't hesitate to put my reloads in any gun. Of course I use reasonable powder charges and follow strict quality control methods.
Well stated rdinak.

I've seen stock guns shoot circles around higher dollar custom guns with the proper reload. Each firearm has it's own sweet spot for accuracy. There is a reason some competetive shoots require the use of factory ammo---they get too many perfect (or nearly perfect) scores with reloads. Oh, and the ammuntion companies like to sponsor these events and it doesn't look good when Mike's basement supply beats brand X's $1.00 per shot load.

Before you go out and spend big bucks on a progressive press, buddy up with an existing reloader and try different loads. See if the extra time and work is something you will find rewarding.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts