1911Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
[I'm sure this has come up before, but I did some searches and couldn't find anything.]

Anyone move out-of-state? How did you transport or ship your collection? I have over a dozen guns (mostly handguns), and I'm trying to figure out how I'll get them across the country. I've thought about buying a TruckVault and taking them with me when I drive (the rest of my belongings will be moved by movers). If they are all locked and there is no ammo in the vehicle, is that sufficient?

I don't have any irreplaceable collectibles, I just feel highly responsible for ensuring they get where they are intended to go.

Thanks for the help -

·
Registered
271 Posts
You might check at www.packing.org They have links by state to the various state laws regarding transportation of weapons. I was originally under the impression that the concept of "peaceable journey" was supposed to be recognized by all the states but after some research, I have found it to not really be true.

Shipping long guns or handguns with gunlocks installed in some sort of locked container should be really be enough. Even if you transport ammo, it should just have to be in separate locked containers. Keep the containers separated far enough so that it would be difficult to get to them. You might want to contact law enforcement agencies or the different state attorneys general of the states that you are passing through to see what the laws are.

Driving safely and not doing anything that might get you stopped is probably the best thing of all. If you give LEO's no reason to stop you, there shouldn't be a problem. I would be more concerned with stopping overnight on the road and have some low life crook break into your vehicle and steal everything.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
The following responses from the BATFE web site may be of interest:

"May a nonlicensee transport firearms for sporting or other lawful purposes?

Yes. Federal law provides a person, who is not prohibited by the GCA from receiving or transporting firearms, the right to transport a firearm under certain conditions, notwithstanding state or local law to the contrary. The firearms must be unloaded and in a locked trunk or, in a vehicle lacking a trunk, in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console. Also, the carrying and possession must be lawful at the place of origin and destination. [18 U. S. C. 926A, 27 CFR 178.38] 9 "

"May a nonlicensee ship firearms interstate for his or her use in hunting or other lawful activity?

Yes. A person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in care of another person in the state where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner. Persons other than the owner should not open the package and take possession of the firearm. "

"May a person who is relocating out-of-state move firearms with other household goods?

Yes. A person who lawfully possesses a firearm may transport or ship the firearm interstate when changing his or her state of residence. Certain NFA firearms must have prior approval from the Bureau of ATF, NFA Branch, Washington, DC 20226, before they may be moved interstate. The person must notify the mover that firearms are being transported. He or she should also check state and local laws where relocating to ensure that movement of firearms into the new state does not violate any state law or local ordinance. [18 U. S. C. 922( a)( 4), 27 CFR 178.28 and 178.31]"

-----------------------------------------
One way, and maybe the safest for a small number of guns, is to make arrangements with a dealer in the state you are moving from and one in the state you are moving to. The former can mail the guns to the latter and you can pick them up. There will be charges, of course, and maybe paperwork (depending on the state you are moving to), but the guns can be insured and you can be free of worry about them on your trip.

You can also ship (common carrier, not mail, for handguns) guns to a dealer yourself, but the cost would be higher. Also, same deal about making arrangements with the receiving dealer. You are also allowed to ship guns to yourself (see above).

Jim

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Shipping dealer to dealer sounds like a safe plan.

As GES mentioned, I was also concerned about the car being broken into, and was considering car-camping for the trip. That and the GunVault I hoped would be enough security.

Jim, can you post me a link the BATFE site? Thanks! :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Shipping dealer to dealer sounds like a safe plan.
Too much humbug. Toss them in a box or bag that doesn't scream gun and go for a drive. If you stop for the night take em in with you. Don't drive stupid and you'll be fine. If you do get stopped AND officer friendly HAPPENS to ask you to search your car just politely say "no, but thanks for asking." Unless you're traveling through the PRK or PRNJ you'll be fine.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Let's hope you are not moving to California or Massachusetts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
angus macfuff said:
Let's hope you are not moving to California or Massachusetts.
No, but thanks for the concern! :) I had a job offer in the N/E corner of MA and only considered it because I could live in NH... but it's too cold for me there, and I'm tired of New England.

Going from Connecticut to Oregon, if all goes as planned. Won't be going until the spring, so I have one more winter on the East Coast.

·
Registered
645 Posts
I moved from Kalifornia to Texas and from Texas to Georgia with my gun collection. Since my new company paid for my move it was very simple. The moving company required that I pack my guns in boxes while being witnessed by the actual driver of the truck. I had to fill out a "Firearms Manifest" with the serial numbers and replacment value for insurance purposes. In most cases the current replacment value is a good deal more than I paid originally. If any of my guns were damaged or stolen the insurance policy of the moving company would pay to replace them.

Hope this helps,
MadDog :p

·
Registered
256 Posts
Many commercial movers won't handle firearms at all, and as I prefer to move them myself anyway that's never been a problem for me.

I recommend you lock them in something, keep them somewhere other than in the passenger compartment, and preferably don't have any ammo in the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Before you decide to ship to a dealer, it might be good idea to check out what kinds of hoops you or the dealer has to jump through to give you your guns when you arrive. By way of example, I moved to South Carolina in the mid 1990's. I called a large dealer in my destination area, and asked if he could receive my guns if I shipped them to him. He said that although he could, he would have to comply with SC's only one gun in 30 days rule, which, of course, was thoroughly unacceptable. I didn't bother to check further with the state on this due to time constraints, but he was a nice enough guy and sounded credible.

I ended up shipping the guns with the moving company (locked in my gun safe), and following their manifest and appraisal requirements. I must admit, I really sweated it out until my shipment arrived, but everything turned out OK. If firearms shipped in interstate commerce by a moving company are stolen or otherwise "mysteriously disappear", the BATF has jurisdiction and would hopefully follow up.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for the feedback! I have some time, so I'll check out all of my options. Luckily I'll be moving to what seems to be a pretty gun-friendly state, but I'll call ahead and find out the details.

thanks again -

1 - 13 of 13 Posts