1911Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a new stock for my Remington 700 SPS Varmint .308. Now, the review on the snipercentral website on this gun mentions that it uses the same floorplate/setup as the BDL... but as I'm looking through the Midway master catalog at Rem 700 stocks - they all seem to be model specific, like either for ADL, BDL, or detachable magazine.
I am wanting the Choate Ultimate Sniper stock (midway P/N 833-383 for BDL w/ DM and 818-699 for ADL). It's cheap, and has a bedding block. Granted it looks like something off of Star Wars, I care more about performance than looks. It lists 2 versions (for right hand), the ADL and BDL w/ detachable magazine. Which should I buy? Would the BDL w/ DM version come with it's own magazines? All versions are the same price.
I also like the Bell&Carlson Carbelite Tactical style stock (650-213) which says it's for the short action Rem 700 BDL w/ varmint barrel - would IT work? I'd rather not pick this one, as it's not bedded, you have to bed it yourself.
My favorite, which I would only get if the other ones wouldn't work ($300) is the H-S Precision Pro Series Thumbhole Target Silhouette stock (780-128), which has an aluminum bedding block, and fits the M700 ADL with varmint barrel, and does not use the factory trigger guard or floorplate.
This all REALLY confused me when I seen on the following pages, the trigger guard assembles, which are VERY expensive, $300+ range - and I thought, why would anyone buy one of these? It's just the assembly around the magazine floorplate and the trigger guard?? I noticed the Badger Ordnance BDL trigger guard and detachable magazine assembly (10 rd capacity, 440-944), but I thought that it would be stock-specific.
Can anyone shed some light on all this mess for me? Or recommend a good stock that's at least pillar bedded w/ free floated barrel channel? Bedding block preferred, but I could live with the first option. Why are the Remington SPS models made so differently?? All my other target rifles I purchased with an acceptable stock, this is the first target rifle that I bought that I purchased with the intent to "build on"... and now I almost wish I hadnt lol.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
The initial cost of the rifle can quickly pale in comparison to the cost of modifications.

My M700 is the BDL type, but it is my understanding that the ADL has a blind magazine with no floorplate, whereas the BDL has a visible magazine floorplate that opens on a hinge or is detachable.

I have a Bell&Carlson medalist stock with the aluminum block and think it was a pretty decent stock. It seems like they make a 'tactical' version of this stock as well as a plain 'ol varmiter stock like mine.

W

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
Damascus,
Cabelas sells an aftermarket floorplate assembly for the M700, <$100, I think.
I just had finished '72 vintage M70 Win in '06 done with a Rimrock stock from Borden Rifles.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies! I also have been online looking for answers to my stock query.
I found that ADL - solid stock, no floorplate.
BDL - hinged floorplate OR removable magazine - just as Whelen97 answered me.
Here's where my problem comes into play - some of these stocks say "for BDL w/ detachable magazine". Can I buy this stock and some magazines and be set? Or is my action itself different from the BDL model?
And as for the Bell & Carlson tactical stock - in my Midway catalog, the Carbelite tactical style (#650-213) fits short action BDL with varmint contour barrels - which is perfectly what I am looking for, and is also cheap ($150) - the only problem is that it lacks a bedding system. It says in the ad "Barrel bedding is suggested for optimum accuracy." I know nothing about glass bedding an action, and would rather have that already done.
I thought about getting the Hogue Overmolded stock w/ pillar bedding(like the one that comes with the Remington 700 SPS Tactical - the same gun as mine but with a 20" barrel rather than 26") but that stock is just so "plain".
I want something either Tactically styled or thumbhole styled - as lightweight as possible.
I've been searching for a McMillan A4 to buy, but it seems that you have to buy those direct from McMillan, and they're too much for my blood. I desperately want to keep this stock under $225 if I can.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I understand your dilema. I have a SPS Varmint in .223 and the SPS Tactical in .308. I want to replace the Varmint stock too.

I really like the Tactical's overmolded Hogue stock. The grip has a nice contour and the rubber's grippiness was handy during last deer season. The pillar bedding is decent, however the stock does flex enough that the barrel touchs when the rifle is supported at the end of the stock. A tripod would likely do the same. I've read of guys filling the voids with glass to stiffen the Hogue. I'm going to keep an eye out for a takeoff for my replacement.

I know this doesn't give you any answers, just thinking out loud. A DBL, varmint barrel contour stock should work. I'd stay away from converting to DM unless you really want to spend the extra $$.

Good Luck,
ss-gar

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
The pillar bedding is decent, however the stock does flex enough that the barrel touchs when the rifle is supported at the end of the stock.

That doesn't sound good at all!!!!!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Not as bad as it sounds, unless you are going for the ultimate.

I wouldn't have noticed except I looked for it after reading a review on a sniper website, snipercountry I think.

YMMV. Good Luck,
ss-gar

·
Banned
975 Posts
ive got a sps varmint. remington put a cheap stock on it to try and compete with savages prices. the BDL stock is what you want. i put an HS precision on mine, only required some fitting around the safety. ive had several bell and carlson stocks, and regard them as poorly made, and personally would not advise someone else buying one. the couple extra bucks for an HS over the bell &carlson is well worth it.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the replies. I don't mind the bedding type (pillar or block) as much as I am a stickler for free floating barrels - I like to have my rifle's barrel's completely suspended. I was "considering" a Hogue, a full-bedded model - but if they're pillar bedded version is THAT soft, I think I'll just save more ;)
I really wish I could afford a McMillan A4, but I have yet to find the site I seen last yet selling them for under $375 (maybe I'm misremembering).
Going to check a little deeper into Bell & Carlson's varieties. I'd really prefer an H-S, but have yet to find one that I can afford.
I wonder, if I buy a pillar and glass bedding kit, then fill the factory stock with it and then shave off all the material touching the barrel, I wonder if the bedding would make it strong enough? (Snipercentral said it couldn't be done, the stock would be too weak, but if glass bedding is added, as well as pillars... I dunno, might be a cheap alternative till' I can afford what I need).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts