1911Forum banner

Rem Golden Saber problem???

1682 9
:confused: Rem. 230 gr. Golden Saber.
Just unloaded my 1911 to put it away for the night and the round that was in the chamber looked wrong. Bullet was pushed into the case about 1/8 in".
Checked the rest of the rounds from the mags and 4 more were about the same. I try to rotate the 1st round loaded beacuse I heard that its possible that the bullet could be pushed back due to repeated feedings. I have never had this happen to me before with any other ammo. The Rem GS shoots great from my gun and is quite accurate. Has anyone else had this a problem with Rem GS or any other type af factory ammo? Is this a problem w/ the GS
due to the bullets body shape? Any info would be great..

Gambat
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Banned
4,085 Posts
You have a bad case of "bullet setback" which can spike ignition pressures very dangerously (though .45 acp is a fairly low pressure round to begin with).

Golden Saber bullets do have a slightly larger diameter at the base than at the body of the bullet, but I don't think that would necessarily cause an increased incidence of bullet setback. I shoot a LOT of Golden Saber in .45 acp (mostly my reloads) and haven't had such a problem. To be really safe, don't fire those rounds. With a high pressure cartridge such as .40 cal., even a 1/16" setback can potentially cause pressure to double - a common cause of gun kBOOMs in poorly reloaded forties - especially when fired in guns with reduced case head support!

With properly crimped bullets, you should not be experiencing that degree of setback unless, perhaps, the rounds have been chambered many times without firing... but even then, I haven't seen such a case with well made ammo.

Call Remington and ask them to replace the ammo.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply DHart.
Bought the box in question in July 05'. Yes the Rds have been chambered a few times but I dont belive its been to many. I could be wrong though. I dont carry everyday, but I do unload and lock it up everytime I come home. Need to be safe with my kids and their friends at my place a lot of the time.
Will give Remington a call and ask them. I took one apart and could see the base to body difference you discribed. Thats why I was wondering about the setback. Doesn't seem like theres alot of bullet surface for the case mouth to hold onto.

Gambat

· Registered
198 Posts
I have serious doubts that this is an AMMO specific problem. Rechambering a round multiple times is NOT a good practice. How many times is too many? When does it become a problem? I really don't know, but I'll tell you what I do. I never chamber the same round twice. I change the rounds so that they alternate because I don't know when bullet setback might occur. Once multiple rounds have been chambered in a magazine, I then shoot those and go to a new box.

While I agree that one should be able to chamber a cartridge several times, why take the chance?

Rather than unloading your pistol every day or every time you carry a better bet might be a small safe. One of the small boxes with an electronic combination lock are NOT extremely inconvenient or expensive. I've seen them for about $ 25 and they can not be opened by small children..... That way you could avoid the issue of loading and unloading on a frequent basis.

PS - Sorry, I didn't initially see that you do try to rotate, but believe me it's easy to lose count. One of those small safes is your safest bet....

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What’s a good rotation time table for carry ammo?
I had Win Silvertips for a 40 that I would rotate out every 12 months. (Box of 50)
With my 45 I’m looking at every 6 months. (Box of 25)
I was thinking of one of the small pistol safes too. My kids are teenagers
and I have taught them about gun safety from early on. Just like my dad and grandfather did for me. I never tried to access my dads firearms and my kids haven’t either but, I still feel its better to be safe than sorry. Especially in today’s environment.

Gambat

· Super Moderator
17,659 Posts
Bullet setback

This condition occurs on all commercially manufactured ammo, some a little quicker than others, but it is inevitable. I think personal experience will show which are which in your pistol. Try taking a round and chambering it from the magazine, then remove it from the weapon. Place it on a flat surface next to a "virgin" round, and repeat this process until you see a slight difference in the cartridge length between the one you've been chambering and the "virgin" round. This will only give you a general guide for that particular brand/loading, but it may surprise you. They all will suffer setback, and that is why many of us rotate the rounds VERY frequently. The military stuff has a sealant applied to the inside of the case mouth when it is loaded, and that seems to prevent setback for a considerable number of chamberings, but many of us don't use military surplus for CCW or home defence. Hope this helps a little.

· Registered
879 Posts
I don't manually unload my carry gun very often but, when I do, I try to rechamber with a different round from further down the mag stack. I use Golden Saber 185 grain +P's in my Springfield Ultra Compact and I have often loaded them in my STI.

I have noted that Golden Sabers, at least in this specific loading, are very prone to setback. Nevertheless, I prefer this round in short barrels and will stick with it but am careful to avoid excessive rechambering and fire off carried ammo frequently.

· Registered
1,228 Posts
Thinking about this... the only "premium" ammunition that I have had problems with have been Remington's Golden Sabers...

I hadn't really thought about it before but I have yet to have a failure to fire with Winchester Ranger or Speer Gold Dot, but have had several failures with Remington Golden Sabers.

Probably coincidence, but this thread got me to thinking...

Cameron

· Registered
2,367 Posts
Rem GS 230 is my carry ammo too and I've never experienced this issue.

Coming at this from a different angle. Something like this would negate the need to unload the gun each day. I've used one of these for several years with great results. Besides keeping children from tampering with your firearms it allows you fairly quick access to a loaded gun should you need one to ward off an intruder. It also is a great place to keep a flashlight with fresh batteries so the gun and light are ready to go should you need them.

clic pic

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all and a MERRY XMAS too.

:) Thank you all for the respones. Ive been looking at getting one of the small pistol safes but something else always seems to come up.
As a matter of fact I'm going out today to look at a few.
Any ways thank you agian and everyone have a
Great Xmas and a Happy New Year.:)

Gambat

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.