1911Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i got to look at an old remington rand 1911A1 pistol that a member of the family has.

the number is 3866XX. i tried finding this range of serial numbers but i can't find anything to show when this was made. i am guessing that the slide and frame are matching, because only the number is on the frame, the rem-rand info is on the left side of the slide.

this pistol is in very good condition, he has put a "trigger shoe" on it, that up until today i had never seen.

any info would be great

russel the cop

------------------
CHANCE FAVORS THE PREPARED MIND....

·
Administrator
75,876 Posts
If that is truly the serial number then you were looking at a Remington-Rand slide mounted on a Colt 1911 (1918-vintage) frame.

Take a look both at my Website and Ty's ( http://www.coolgunsite.com ) to see the visible differences between a WW1 1911 frame and a later WW2 M1911A1 frame. In case you're wondering why the gun would have a mismatched frame and slide, it likely was a post-WW2 arsenal rebuild. If the finish matches on both parts (and especially if there's an arsenal stamp like AA, RIA, etc.) then that's probably what it is.

If on the other hand you wrote the serial number down wrong, none of this matters.

------------------
D. Kamm
USGI 1911 pistols website
http://www.geocities.com/M1911_M1911A1

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dsk, i wrote the number down right, because i memorized it, and then later to be safe i wrote the number down while looking at the gun. and the frame and slide have matching finish. the only thing on the frame is the serial number, where it should be, but no other info.
the thing that gets me (also why i didn't put it under this forum to begin with) is that there is not a "prop of us" on the frame.

the frame has the relief cuts behind the trigger. i know that the grip saftey and slide lock are not original because they are blued not park.

if it is an arsenal rebuild, thats not a problem because the guy is my moms cousin, and the gun will stay in the family. he gave me a couple of barrels today, along with a barrel bushing, firing pin and extra leaf spring. he hinted that if he ever got rid of the gun it would become mine, which is why i say the retail value is of no importance, because i know that he and this gun have "been places and seen things" so i would never part with it.

i'll check your sight, and thanks again

russel the cop

[This message has been edited by RUSSEL213 (edited 07-18-2001).]

·
Administrator
75,876 Posts
Now that is REALLY beginning to sound odd. A WW1 Colt frame would have the serial number on the right and UNITED STATES PROPERTY on the left side of the frame, and of course there would be no finger clearance cuts. The next time you look at it, see if the S/N begins with "No" where the "o" is underlined. If so then it's a WW1 receiver where somebody ground the US Property stamp off. If not, then it's likely a replacement commercial frame from some unknown maker. Are there any other markings anywhere, like little letters stamped anywhere on the top of the frame (hidden by the slide) or near the trigger guard?

If you can provide that info (and especially some pics) we can hopefully narrow it down.

------------------
D. Kamm

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
DSK, well, it will prob be a while before i see the gun again, as it lives a ways from me. ernie (my moms cousin, the owner) pulled it out from its hiding spot to show me because he knows i carry a colt on duty.

i can't honestly say there were other markings on the gun besides the serial number on the frame, and the "remingtom rand syacuase (however you spell it) ny on the left side of the slide.
i think there is a one letter mark on the top between the back sight and ejection port.

i want say its an H or P but i can't rember. i'll ask next time i talk to him on the phone.
the gun "feels" all orignial, i know that sounds wierd, but it doesn't feel like the peiced together ones i have seen at the gun shows. the grip saftey and hammer is hand checked, the slide stop is lined, and the arched mainspring housing is metal checkering with the lanyard loop.

sorry to be so much trouble about this, it just struck me as odd. he said that he thought it was made between 38 and 43, and has had it since the late 50's.

anyway, thanks for your help, when i get better info i'll let ya know. its a solid gun though, one i would be happy to have!

russel the cop

·
Administrator
75,876 Posts
It's no trouble at all. Playing these ID games is kinda fun, actually. Yes, there will be a "P" proof mark on the very top of the slide between the ejection port and the rear sight. The slide isn't an oddity at all, it's the frame that perplexes me. The fact that it has a checkered mainspring housing as well throws me even more of a curve ball. At the moment I'm leaning toward the frame being from an Argentine Colt or something. The reason why I say that is because a 386XXX serial number would have to be either a Colt WW1, aftermarket frame, or a foreign contract. Remington Rands began with S/N 916405 and ended with 2465139. It would also have the US Property and M1911A1 US Army stamps on the frame as well.

Now, if the true S/N was actually 1,386,XXX that would make more sense because it would fall into one of Rem-Rand's assigned S/N ranges.

------------------
D. Kamm

[This message has been edited by dsk (edited 07-19-2001).]

·
Registered
293 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
again thanks for your help.

here's my guess, if the "us prop" has been removed, and then re parked, it may be possible that one got covered. i have no way of knowing that, but the parkerizing on the gun has to be pretty old, also, the group this guy ran with was known for customixing old 1911's and someone may have thought it would sell better with a lower number. (again, i am guessing!)
the checkerd mainspring housing got me also, i had never seen one that looked like this, its a bigger checkering than i see on todays checkering.

but, like i said, i know that not every part of this gun is original, because the slide lock, and thumb lock are dark polish blue. either they wern't parked, or they are not original. and my understanding is all rem's were parked.

i'll call him this weekend and see what other info i can get

russel the cop

1 - 7 of 7 Posts