1911Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up my R1 Enhanced Stainless Monday night. I just did a clean and lube on it. Frog lubed it in all the right places.

Has anyone here done any trigger work to their R1E?

I plan on shooting it this weekend and break it in, but eventually I'll want to tweak the trigger. Currently, out of the box, it has a 5 lb pull.

Any thoughts other than the normal polishing of the parts?

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
My recommendation

I usually advise my Customers to put 300-500rds through a new gun prior to any trigger mods. This gives you time to see what you like, what you don't like and the parts to characterize ("wear in" ,I don't care for that term,but most people may not be familiar with characterize). The only exception to this approach would be if you wanted an entirely new forged Fire Control Group.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I've found the Remingtons to be quite good out of the box. Several I've tested were 4.5 pounds pretty consistently. They're usually fairly crisp to start with.

You say 5 pounds. Still good. Bet it'll drop some after use.

Why do you feel you need to start polishing and exchanging parts right away?
Follow the above advice: Shoot it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not tearing it down to trick out the trigger before I shoot it. I'll shoot if for a while and get some rounds down it and see how the trigger feels afterwards.

Most 1911's I've shoot (a good friend/shooting buddy has several) all have approx 2.5 to 3 lb trigger. I've shot very well with the lighter trigger pull.

So at some point in the future I believe I will polish some of the areas and tweak it. Just looking for suggestions from anyone that has already tweaked theirs.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Correct these were his competition shooters. Not a carry gun. As my Remi will NOT be a carry gun. I bought it for USPSA Single Stack competition. I supposed I should have stated that in the beginning. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So did you email or call Remington to discuss the trigger? Did you voice that you didn't like it and ask them to tweak it?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I put a Harrison long, black, solid trigger in mine, and pulled out the series 80 parts. The trigger rivals that triggers that I spec'd on my higher end guns.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks. I shot the new toy two weeks ago and was happy with the results. I only shot about 200 rds so once I'm up over 1k. I'll check the pull weight and decide if I want to lighten it for USPSA SS events. If I do make anu adjustments I'll post the details.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
I had too much creep, and some overtravel. Took a look and the hooks were .024 and there was no secondary angle on the sear. Took the hooks to .020 and put about a 25% secondary on the sear after re-doing the primary. Polished the usual parts.

Didn't like the short trigger anyway, so replaced with a Wilson with overtravel screw.

Pretty nice now at 3.5#.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts