1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 611 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
still waiting on my hammer and rear sight :(
You sure you wanna' do that?

I've heard of a few guys that read about a few other guys that knew another fella' who's wife was married to someone that had a relative who's sister was married to someone that saw one those R1's in a sealed glass display case and he thought it didn't look good......

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Seems Quack and I have been in a race to see who can erase the R1's original identity the quickest.

Looks like he's catching up :)

Here's what I've done so far:

C&S Tactical Match trigger kit
Radius frame and installed EB Memory Grip Safety
C&S long aluminum trigger
C&S extended safety
EB extended mag release
S&A checkered MSH
Light carry bevel
Install and reprofile EB hardcore slide stop to prevent overhang
EGW oversized firing pin stop with small radius
EGW HD extractor
EGW oversized ejector to fix the unsightly gap at the back of the slide
10-8 NM rear sight (much fitting required)
Blast, parkerize, and spray on Gunkote Satin Black
VZ Double Diamond Grips

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Seems Quack and I have been in a race to see who can erase the R1's original identity the quickest.

Looks like he's catching up :)
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

think i'm going to be ordering some checkering files soon.

i need to get an EGW ejector. have a Brown, but the gap was still there :(

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yep, the EGW has plenty of meat all around to take up any gaps. Also means it takes a lot longer to fit all around. I also tried another ejector from my bag of parts that left the gap at the back.

Whenever I think I might want to try my hand at checkering, I just go back and read several posts from guys who have trashed guns that needed to welded up and re-profiled :bawling:. I may send mine out for machine checkering at some point when I get it just right.

Also need to decide what I'm going to do about a final finish for this one. Can't see spending big bucks on Hard Hat for a $600 gun. The Gunkote, Cerakote, etc are OK, but not as durable as I'd like. Maybe Mahovsky's Metalife (around $155). Had it done on a HK P7 that turned out pretty well. Just don't know if the R1 will look right in HC.

Quack--I'm interested to see how your bout with the 10-8 rear sight goes. Have you gotten it yet?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
nah, haven't gotten it yet. sent some things back to brownell's and should have the sight here soon.

the sight will probably need fitting, but i'm ok with it because all the sights that i put on Springfields needed to be fit.

·
Registered
613 Posts
More chopping on the R1 tonight.

Not quite Rogers Precision perfection, but I'm happy with it :)

Pretty simple actually. I chucked up the barrel in my HF mini lathe, checked runout, cut it down, and crowned. I thought I had it polished pretty well, but the pictures show all.

Couldn't go to bed with it looking like that. It's a wonder what 1000 grit sandpaper and Flitz can do for metal:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Why does the slide stop overhang the trigger area?? Is the frame or slide stop not up to spec? Or did they relieve that area too much at the top of the trigger guard? Whatever it is it looks like Hell! Auto Ordnance pistols exhibit the same issue.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I did notknow anything about the remington r1. I need to check them out as I like the clean lines. Are they high end? Middle of the road or closer to entry level?

·
Registered
8,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Why does the slide stop overhang the trigger area?? Is the frame or slide stop not up to spec? Or did they relieve that area too much at the top of the trigger guard? Whatever it is it looks like Hell! Auto Ordnance pistols exhibit the same issue.
they relieved the area higher. also if you look at my trigger, there's a large gap between the top of the trigger and the frame. when i fit that trigger, i just removed material from the bottom and didn't remove any from the top and there's still a decent gap.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I believe it's just a matter of how the frame was cut. The flat where the slide stop sits on the R1 is shorter than any of my other 1911s and leads to the slide stop overhang. I re-profiled my slide stop to fix the overhang.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I did notknow anything about the remington r1. I need to check them out as I like the clean lines. Are they high end? Middle of the road or closer to entry level?
I'd call the R1 an entry level gun. My entry level may be above where others are willing to enter however. I looked over several RIA and SA Milspec guns prior to buying the R1. For the ~$600 entry price, I believe you get much more gun than the competitor's entries. YMMV.

21 - 40 of 611 Posts