1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Kbrock, your experience is nothing like mine has been with the company.

Ask your dealer if they have the number for the local Remington rep and give him a call, more than likely he will have more success and more communication with you.

As to the part being not available at the moment, well, stuff happens, but they should be able to give you an approximate timeline.

As to making it right, when the time comes, ask them, if you want mags, ask for them, if you want ammo, ask for a voucher.

The only firearm I have had to ship back to remington for a problem was a 40xb. When it showed up, there was some serious discoloration of the stock as if some sort of solvent was left on the metal work and it ate at the finish in shipping. The stock was gorgeous otherwise, with really terrific figure in the wood, I asked for a refinish, and they said that was going to be hard because they were not sure what had eaten at the finish, and if it was in the wood, well, the same thing might happen. I was promised a new stock with as good or better wood, what showed up was as nice a piece of wood as I have ever seen, absolutely spectacular, and it was fitted as if the action and barrel had been planted in the tree and the wood allowed to grow around it.

Other guns sent back when I worked in the shop all were dealt with promptly and I only recall one needing a return visit out of maybe 200 that went back over a period of many years. That was a 1100 that a new bolt fitted, and for some reason, it would hang up.

·
Premium Member
8,371 Posts
Maybe a call to the supplier of the back ordered part would be in order. That issue is obviously not in Remington's control. And after all those good firearms, you'd not buy another because of this one instance?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
As a business owner, I understand that stuff happens. However, I also understand that if I don't contact the customer when stuff happens, I'm likely to lose that customer.

I'm also still not at ease with them sending out a firearm with a non-functional safety.

I'm glad some have had good experiences with Remington. Maybe in the end they will do right by me.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't know why they can't get that grip safety right

I had an R1 and traded it in. I had several qualms about it
besides the appearance of being a 'hackjob' gun with a weirdly sized slidestop that hangs over the frame and thumb safety that overlaps onto the rear tang- the grip safety was way far out to the rear of the gun creating these painfully sharp "shelves" where it should have melded to the frame. It was painful to shoot and I knew it wasn't unique to my gun as you can see it on virtually every picture of the r1. Who ok'd that design?? inside there were peening marks where the barrel feet were grinding against the frame resulting in pieces of the barrel feet being sheared off into the dust cover of the gun. It just looked badly done. It never jammed once but other than the nice finish and grips it didn't seem artful or crafted to me. The barrel feet and grip safety problem were just deal breakers to me. I sent a couple messages to customer service but only received their generic "your claim has been sent to the r1 dept and if you don't contact us again we will consider your problem resolved' or whatever.

I'm not a remington hater but this did't exactly make me super pumped to spend 600 bucks on a remington product.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I've had mixed experiences with Remington Cust Svc. The last one wasn't up to par.

I bought their 5-round AR magazine for hunting in OK. Oklahoma has a 7-round magazine limit for 22 cal centerfire rifles when hunting deer. Imagine my surprise when I had no problem putting 10-rounds into this magazine sold as a 5-rounder. Blatently defective product - sold as 5-rd, holds 10-rds. I paid more than double the price of the C-Products mag I ultimately bought to replace the Remington with. Had an OK game warden been the one to show this to me I would have been in deep kimchee. I didn't intend to hunt deer with the AR but wanted to stay in compliance with all regs for doing so just to be on the safe side as I was in the woods during deer season with an unfilled deer tag.

I contacted Rem, they said they would get back to me. Never did. Oh well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Still Waiting

Now it's Dec. 2nd, and I'm still waiting for my new R1 to be repaired and returned. I've contacted Remington a couple of times and I get the same story... you'll just have to wait.

Since their "Platinum Warranty" boasts a 7 day turnaround on repairs and is valued at $79.00, I'm sure they'll send me a check for that amount when (and if) the piece is ever returned to me.

Extremely disappointed!... and MADDER by the day! :mad:

·
Registered
145 Posts
Wow, that's a long wait...

When I used their service earlier this year I got a very prompt response on my Model 597 22lr rifle.

My brother got a super fast response last year with his 870 shotgun.

Not sure what to tell you.... Have you tried calling the local sales rep?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I haven't tried locating a local Rep. yet, but I think it's a good idea. I'll try to find one on the net and call Monday.

Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm having my R1 sent back to Remington for failure to feed issues and had a similar experience with their customer service. I called them last Friday (waited on hold for about 20 mins) and the lady I spoke with said she would send a UPS overnight box with instructions for how to return the firearm for repairs. It's now Wednesday and no UPS box yet. I hope this isn't a signal of how the entire experience will go... but after reading the original post, it wouldn't surprise me.

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
I was looking for a new rem 700 in 300 wm until i seen the tv report....
Don't let that report bother you. I'd buy another remington 700 in a heart beat. But not another Chevy or GM product.(not this heatbeat of america)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Problem resolved... finally!

I contacted the Florida Remington Rep. on Monday, and he personally looked into the problem. I received a new (different) R1 on Wednesday.

I expressed my concerns with their e-mail/call-in customer service and quality control. He was very helpful and apologetic and made no excuses.
Hopefully, he will make an effort to initiate changes in their customer service/quality control departments.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I got my UPS mailer in today... only problem is the first lady I spoke with at customer service told me there would be a form to fill out which would explain the problems I'm having, this form was not included. I called customer service back (another 20 mins on hold) and the person I spoke with this time confirmed there was supposed to be a form. I was told to "write a letter" instead. I've got a feeling that this is going to turn into a big mess before all is said and done.

kbrock, did you get one of these forms when you mailed your R1 back to the factory? If so, what info did you have to provide? Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
BTW, I took the R1 apart and cleaned it up tonight. It was pretty dirty... and way too much oil! Maybe they do that for rust protection. If you didn't do this with the first one you received, you probably should do it this time. It was the first time I've taken apart a 1911, but I followed the manual and it wasn't difficult.

It is a beautiful pistol. I hope they get their Customer Service issues fixed. The Rep. that helped me was great and helped to restore some confidence in Remington.

I'm ready to shoot it this weekend!

Once again, good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info, kbrock. The service rep gave me a timeline of about 2 weeks, saying they were really swamped right now. If they're too slow, I'll be calling my area's rep.

I'll post if I run into any problems and/or a review when I get my gun back.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just got my R1 back today. The turnaround was much quicker than what I had expected and was told by the customer service rep. The repair document says that the gunsmith found the same problem I had reported, the slide stop was replaced, and the gun was tested.

Will post a range report hopefully tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Sorry your having problems. Any maker can make a lemon. It seems Remington has mad a few since the new R1911 is out. Glad they finally got you rolling again.

·
Registered
1 Posts

I also am having a problem with the safety lock and am told i need to send the gun back to the company............this was the 21st and it is now the 25th and i have yet to recevie the package to send it back and cant get in on their phone line as they want you to wait forever. I did however shoot the gun and before i purchased this one i shot one my friend has and i like it ina very positive way but very troubled by the problem and the trouble i have in co ntacting them.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I've had a R1 since Oct. 2010. Every bit as good as my Colt Combat Comm. Have shot at least 2K rounds; 600 in one 4 day period. Very reliable and a very fun gun to shoot. Definite recommended buy.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've had a R1 since Oct. 2010. Every bit as good as my Colt Combat Comm. Have shot at least 2K rounds; 600 in one 4 day period. Very reliable and a very fun gun to shoot. Definite recommended buy.
My time frame and experience is the same as yours. I love mine.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts