1911Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive always stuck with winchester cases during my loading career, however due to my own fault, i unknowingly bought rem. cases last time for my .45acp. in this & other forums, ive heard reports of thin walls, loose bullet grip, etc. i load a case 6 times only before pitching & keep my hardball recipe to 800 fps. what are your experiences on rem. 45acp cases & will they keep proper bullet tension for 6 loadings to prevent setback?..thanks

·
Registered
21,708 Posts
I used to have a lot of trouble from RP brass, thin .45s that would let bullets set back, and brittle .38s that would split at the case mouth in 2-4 loadings. But that was years ago. It seems of better quality now. Current RP .45 cases just go in my box of mixed brass and are shot until they are lost, crack, or fail to gauge. I don't have any problem with setback, but I don't keep count on any but test and precision brass.

·
Registered
691 Posts
I reload cases 5 times before tossing them. and just tossed 500 remintons. No problems so far though.

------------------
-Electric Armadillo-
"You're basically killing each other to see who's got the better imaginary friend." - Yasir Arrafat (On going to war over religion)

·
Registered
21,708 Posts
Why are you guys throwing away half or more of the service life of your brass?
I do not discard brass until it splits or fails to gauge. Even the gauge failures in my "pop and drop" practice ammo bag seldom malf.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Why are you guys throwing away half or more of the service life of your brass?
I do not discard brass until it splits or fails to gauge. Even the gauge failures in my "pop and drop" practice ammo bag seldom malf.
jim.. after about 6 loadings i often find that primer pockets get sloppy. yes im probably erroring on the safe side, but brass isnt that high. thanks for your help before & to you others as well

·
Registered
766 Posts
I agree with Jim why are you dumping case's when it is most likely only half used up at 5-6 reloads. I average at least 12 reloads before it usually splits or other problems occur. As for Remington brass current runs have been good for me at least as good as Winchester which I also perfer.

[This message has been edited by bowhunter (edited 12-05-2001).]

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
I always have, and still do, have a prob with Remington cases holding jacketed bullets, but never with lead bullets. Now, Reminton nickeled cases, no prob. A little hard to believe, but apparently the plating thickness is what makes the dif. I suppose if it's .0003 thick, it makes sense as you'd multiply that by 4, and it makes the case .0012 tighter.

I load them until they split. Of course, I lose so many that few get that far.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I've loaded Remington cases from the get-go, and never had a problem. I've got some early 60's RP military that I've been trying to wear out since about '72. I'm about as liable to lose cases as to wear them out, but I shoot sensible loads, too. I use once fired brass for competition, factory loads for social work, and everythingelseinthepot for practice and play. I seldom, if ever, have any case-related malfs.

If you are worried about casewall tension or setback, load with Dillon dies. I swear that the sizing die in those sets sizes the case to about 40 cal, leaving a distinct shoulder behind the base of any bullet I've ever used. They're also the best in the business.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I've had no particular problems with RP brass in 45ACP though it does feel somewhat softer when running through the press. Other than that, it gets used right along with all the other brands.

------------------
Steve333

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
The use of Remington Brass in my older 1911 style firearms I have had a lot of feeding problems, but have not had the problems in my Sigs or newer Springfield.

As far as discarding brass I'm like some of you who keeps it until it begins to split. I know when firing brass through my .357 and .44 Mag I discard it about every 5 rounds or so.

TC

------------------
Disabled American Veterans (DAV) Life Member

Society would be safer when the criminal doesn't know who's armed

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I've loaded for some thirty plus years and have used Rem without any problems.

You boys that toss your brass out before its time make way too much money.

If my brass will hold the primer and bullet, and the powder wont run out of the split in the case it gets loaded and shot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts