1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a Remington 700 SPS for deer hunting. I'm in NC, so the deer don't get very big. I want to have fairly cheap ammo so I can shoot it regularly without breaking the bank. What calibers offer less recoil, but still have enough energy for ethical kills?

·
Banned
4,947 Posts
.308 Winchester.

Cheap surplus ammo. Get into reloading. Will kill anything on the North American Continent.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
You want cheap, or you want low recoil? Let's see the caliber the SPS has available.

243 Win is the deer cartridge with less recoil. But not necessarily cheapest to shoot.

Cheapest hunting ammo is usually 30-30 and 30-06 as deer season approaches.

Since Rem 700 isn't chambered in 30-30, that leaves the other one.
But many folks are sensitive to recoil and don't favor 30-06.
If you shot a 30-06 before and you're OK with it, that would be a good choice
for less expensive ammo that's easy to find.

But you might not like the recoil, so the next most common cartridges
on sale (as regular deer hunting ammo) as deer season approaches
is 270 and 308 Win. Either one will do you good, I happen to think
270 with 130 grain bullet recoils significantly less than the average 308.

If you want to spend more on ammo, 243 Win and 7mm-08
are both available in the 700 SPS and are solid deer cartridges,
both are excellent shooters and totally 'ethical' for the application
and both have fairly mild recoil. Especially the 243, only the 223 is softer.

And plenty of guys use 223 Rem for deer, but that opens the 'ethical' issue.
You must make your own decision on that, no one can make it for you.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
Earl also brings up the excellent point of Reloading.

Last year, a 7 year old girl wanted to go hunting with her dad,
who has a 270 but doesn't have money for a new gun for girlie.
Unfortunately, full power 270 just kicks her butt. She can't
shoot dad's gun. She just can't handle it.

So I handloaded reduced recoil 'youth loads' from the Hodgdon
reloading data, a 130 grain Hornady at 2300 feet per second.
Surprisingly accurate, and deadly out to 150 yards
(she won't take a shot longer than 150 anyway).

The girl loves it! She can shoot those all day. She loves hunting now.

Now, I'm not saying you shoot like a girl. I'm just saying that
Earl knows his stuff, and he knows you have a million choices
when you roll your own. Heavy, light, long range, low cost, high cost,
high velocity, tiny varmint loads, deer & elk & bear & antelope & weasels.
One gun can do it all when you handload.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only centerfire rifle I have shot is my AR. My dad is from Ohio, so I have shot 12 gauge slug guns. Sighting those things in over a sandbag is not fun. I want a rifle that will be fun to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo and not cost $3+ a pop. Is the .270 and .30-06 comparable to those?

·
Banned
11,450 Posts
BLUF: How far do you expect to have to shoot?

When I lived and hunted in WA, my average shot was about 200 meters. I used either a 7mm Magnum or .300 WinMag. The longest shot I ever took was just over 600 meters. When I moved to NC, that dropped to less than 100. I have no ethical issues taking a deer with appropriate, expanding ammunition in 5.56mm in NC. I never would have considered it in WA, the deer tend to be larger and the ranges longer- not to mention that it wasn't legal at the time.

If your max shot is in the 150 meter range, and you're willing ot let anything farther walk, 5.56 would be a suitable, low recoil choice.

If you want or need the ability for a longer shot, .243 or .270 would be my choice if recoil is an issue.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I shoot federal blue box out of my .270 and I pay between $20-$26 a box of 20. If I told you how far I've pushed that rifle you would probably call me a liar. Another awesome cartridge is .260 Remington.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Mine is in 308. I keep my eye out for surplus ammo for plinking. I have a few boxes of the specialized hunting stuff if I needed to hunt with it.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I would choose .308, the recoil is not that bad, the 30-06 in 700bdl is quiet substantial, 22-250 has relatively no recoil and ammo is not bad, 6mm is easy to shoot also but ammo is sometimes tough to find but it is a good caliber.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My personal choice for a light recoiling deer rifle has been a Rem 7600 in .308 Winchester.
This is now my Grandson's deer rifle!

·
Registered
145 Posts
The only centerfire rifle I have shot is my AR. My dad is from Ohio, so I have shot 12 gauge slug guns. Sighting those things in over a sandbag is not fun. I want a rifle that will be fun to shoot a couple of boxes of ammo and not cost $3+ a pop. Is the .270 and .30-06 comparable to those?
About a dollar a round for Winchester super x's which is what I shoot for 270 from wal mart.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts