1911Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Remington 700, 7mm Rem Mag caliber, with a tapered barrel. I want to purchase & install a bull barrel on it. What, if any, considerations other than just a barrel should I look for?

·
Banned
5,244 Posts
Might look for a new stock...

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Might also look for a gunsmith. You don't just buy a barrel and screw it on.
L.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Might also look for a gunsmith. You don't just buy a barrel and screw it on.
L.
You can if you have a Savage :rock: [there are a few special tools needed I know] LE is Right getting a new rifle barrel for your 700 is not the same as you getting a barrel for your 870. The new barrel will most likely be "short-chambered" this requires a reamer, go/no-go gauges, etc to get the proper head-space.

·
Banned
12,388 Posts
You probably won't have trouble with the recoil lug when you use the same stock, but it's something to which you pay attention.

To use the same stock without buying a new one (very astute by CavCop :) ) you can open up the channel in existing stock. But if you buy new stock that's when you attend to the recoil lug.

Look at your scope mount. Make sure your objective bell won't hit the fatter barrel. Might need higher scope mounts, but it depends upon existing mounts and existing bell.

Looking for more accuracy, or just heavier front end weight?

If more accuracy, talk to barrel makers like Lilja, you may find that the quality of the barrel is more important that outside diameter for Magnum rifle. And of course barrel length, rate of twist, chamber cut, and crown.
:)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts