1911Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone here ever seen a Model 721 with a compensator or a compensator that looks like the attached? I bought one in30-06 that has a small muzzle brake device mounted and I can't find any information on the make, manufacturer or type. It's apparently 2 pieces as the tip unscrews, however, I have been unable to unscrew the main unit from the barrel although I am just soaking in kroil and using hand pressure. There are no markings.
Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
What you have there is a Herter's Recoil Eliminator/Muzzle Brake.

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
The base is probably secured with red Loctite or Rockset. You'l have to apply heat to remove it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Ok thanks for the responses. I only wanted to remove to clean and make sure I have no major obstructions. If there is no reason to remove the base I will leave it as is. As whiffledust noted, it is in fact Herters as I found the name within the larger baffle. I have been researching and can find no reference to this model. I have no experience with compensators and just assumed the gases were expelled backward or upward to offset recoil. This device appears to deflect gas upward through the base and then forward which seems to defeat the purpose. Can someone educate me on the specifics?

Attachments

·
Registered
14,933 Posts
True compensators have a chamber or chambers. The forward-moving gasses strike the forward chamber wall(s), mitigating straight-back recoil. The gasses deflected upwards mitigate muzzle jump/flip.

·
Registered
702 Posts
This device appears to deflect gas upward through the base and then forward which seems to defeat the purpose. Can someone educate me on the specifics?
Astute observation as this is exactly how it works, taming the recoil by pulling the barrel forward.

Herters were made back in the 50-60s and most think they are ugly and want them removed, (where I learned of them). They were inexpensive, $5 and some were even longer with Thompson styled Cutts slots in them - Hereters even made shotgun brakes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts