1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Remington made a change to the frame on the latest non-"ERPC" marked" R1 models. There was a lot of customer complaints about the slide stop overhang on the older Remington R1 models. Most people know that on the older ERPC marked R1 models, the bottom of the slide stop would overhang the flat of the frame above the trigger area. NOT ANYMORE. The latest non-ERPC marked R1 models no longer have this ugly overhang problem. You can also look at pictures of the right side of the frame of both ERPC marked and non-ERPC marked R1 models and it will be very clear to see the difference in the amount of space from the center of the slide stop shaft to the flat of the frame above the trigger area on these two frames. Great improvement Remington ! This slide stop overhang on the older ERPC marked models really looked like hell. It's nice to know that Remington Arms is a company that listens to it's customers and is committed to customer satisfaction by constantly striving to improve and update their products. Again, great job Remington !

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It may be interesting to note that the older ERPC marked models that were made of stainless steel (R1S) did not seem to exhibit this slide stop overhang problem. Only the blued models (R1) had this problem. Go figure ???

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
I don't know what you're talking about.

I've looked at an R1 non ERPC and a Carry ERPC and can't detect a difference. Did the Carry models perhaps not ever have what's being talked about?

Pix would be nice.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Surplusshooter,

Could it be that the Carry had no overhang because it was supposedly the forged frame rather than cast as the R1 and R1 Enhanced?

And this leads me to wonder if the newer R1s are now forged/machined and not cast.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"UncleEd', you may very well be right. Of all the latest non-ERPC marked models of the Remington R1 that I have inspected, I can not find any casting lines that were easy to see on the older ERPC marked models. It is a very good possibility that Remington has now went to all forged/machined frames on all of their R1 models.

·
Banned
1,341 Posts
Just checked the Remington site.

It now says the R1 has a "precisioned machined slide and frame." Used to only say that about the Carry.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,328 Posts
And this leads me to wonder if the newer R1s are now forged/machined and not cast.
Was there a sudden, $100-$200 increase in price?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was thinking the same thing as "RickB"...price increase ??? If Remington has in fact done away with the cast frames on all of their R1 models and went to an all forged and machined frame, then I'm sure we can expect to see a price increase on their lower grade models that had cast frames. An all forged and machined frame on all Remington R1 models would be great news for all of us 1911 lovers, however, this would be very bad news for many of Remington's competitors.

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
It would certainly be bad news for those looking for a Remington at the old price point.
Para has gone to a mix of cast- and forged-frame guns in their lineup, and I suspect it will take a while for people to accept paying the higher price on the forged guns.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Reading this thread made me get my R1 out and check the frame. I purchased mine late in the summer of 2013 and the ERPC marking is not there and the slide stop does not overhang the frame. It has been a good shooter and the only feeding problems I've experienced were from reloads in which I did not seat the bullets far enough back in the case. (I got a caliber set for Christmas! lol) My price point for the R1 was a little over $600 with tax, title, and out the door. I have a Ruger SR1911 CMD in lay away and I look forward to getting it home and doing a side by side comparison of the Remington and the Ruger. :biglaugh:

·
Banned
7,730 Posts
A cast frame still requires machining. It just requires fewer machining operations. Fewer operations are what result in the price difference. The machining operations have to be performed to a high degree of precision, forged or cast. To say our slides and frames our precision machined is like saying our barrels are precision rifled. They have to be.

Lot of marketing abracadabra there. Our slides and frames are precision machined. I hope so. It is not the same as saying our frames are machined from a forging.

·
Super Moderator
22,328 Posts
I have an old, cast frame with the hammer and sear pin holes cast into it. Doesn't look like they were drilled or reamed in any way.
You can improperly machine a forged or barstock frame, but you can try to get away with doing as little machining as possible with a casting.
My Detonics' frame is as-cast inside trigger guard, the frame tangs and rear of the slide, so you can see where money was saved on (not) machining the casting.

·
Registered
189 Posts
mine also has no ERPC marking, and i purchased it back in Feb of 2013....

starting to think it has a forged frame, but could honestly care less, as it's my favorite .45 right now... hands down.

i'd be glad to post up photos of mine, if you guys would like to see it... i'll have to go break out my old macro point and shoot.

·
Registered
189 Posts
.......I have a Ruger SR1911 CMD in lay away and I look forward to getting it home and doing a side by side comparison of the Remington and the Ruger. :biglaugh:
looking forward to this, as the Ruger was on my 'short list' and a fine pistol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Erpc

Eliphalet Remington Products Company, I think. I understand its a legal move that separates the manufacturing arm from the rest of the company. In the event of a legal action, it protects part of the company from an unfavorable verdict.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Remington Arms is famous for producing some of the best selling firearms of all time. The Remington model 700 bolt action rifle is a very good example of this along with the Remington model 1100 and 870 shotguns. Maybe Remington would like to add their version of the 1911 to this list. Their latest versions of the Remington R1 could very well start them in this direction.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts