1911Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, looking for a reliable 1911 to carry, what's your thoughts on the Remington R1 Carry? Seem to be made very well and I can pick up a NIB one for $880.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Consider a Colt CCG as well. I have a CCG and really like it, but have not handled an R1.

·
Registered
23,178 Posts
They look nice and that is a good price. I see them in gun stores down here for $1.1K. They have a Series 80 mechanical firing pin safety if that is anything you care about.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
As far as i'm concerned, Remington makes some fine production 1911s and i think that's an exception and not the rule comparing to others on the market at similar price range.
i got a standard R1 commander and it's definitely a keeper.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Every one I've seen has had an exceptional fit and finish, especially for the price. They probably make the nicest standard mil spec out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Would Yall definitely recommend the carry version over just the plain R1?

Is the plain r1 built just like the ones from ww2 were?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Would Yall definitely recommend the carry version over just the plain R1?

Is the plain r1 built just like the ones from ww2 were?

Thanks
Yes.

·
Registered
3,125 Posts
Its not just like a ww2 one there are some differences like sights, trigger, main spring housing, some other stuff. My father has an R1 and he has had great luck with his. Its been very accurate and reliable.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Remington is one of those gun manufacturers that you can depend on. Everything they build is quality.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Glad to hear it. The Quality Control on their .22 LR HP ammo has taken a real dive. Every shot sounds different and more misfires than I have ever experienced with any other make. Sad, it used to be my favorite .22 ammo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I'm all in with my R1 Commander. I'm also a life-long Colt 1911 guy, and so far the R1 is on par with any of the Colt semi-autos I've owned. It likes most brands of ammo, tho I did have a few FTFeed with MagTech. No problems with the original magazines, either. I'll buy a stainless model in a flash if Remington ever produces one. JM2CW.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have two, one a bought used and one new. They are both good shooters and the fit and finish is very high. I think you will be happy. I think the carry series is better grade 1911.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm very pleased with my classic R1 Commander and I'm sure the Carry Commander is an excellent upgrade if you need the extras. I prefer the standard 1911A1 features so I'm glad Remington offers the Classic, Enhanced and Carry versions. There's something for everyone.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
I just bought the Remington Carry Commander from Bud's Guns for $850. I definitely think it is the best looking 1911 or at least one of the best looking out there. I haven't shot it yet so I can't yet recommend it.

·
Registered
878 Posts
I carry the standard R-1. It's a great shooter and I love the fit and finish. I swear the weapon has only gotten smoother. It has been a great buy and I am proud of the piece.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just bought a Remington R1 Carry 5 inch today. The gun is on lay-away, I didn't have time to do paperwork today. I checked out the Ruger's, Dan Wesson, Colts, and Kimbers. I have owned a lot of 1911 in my time and this carry model is excellent. Tight fitting slide and barrel including bushing, Ambi safety, I am a lefty and it's a must for me. A steel forged frame and slide, great checkering front and back straps with front night sight and skeletonized hammer. Great looking and the trigger is awesome, I can't wait to pick it up. If you can buy this gun for $880.00 go for it, that's a steal, I just paid $1,100.00. Make sure it's a R1 carry model they list out at $1,300.00.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You will be very pleased, Cocojo. And the $75 rebate will only sweeten the deal!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Thanks Major Dad can't wait to try the gun out. $75.00 dollars back is a nice touch. I will do the paperwork as soon as I get the gun. The gun is tight and will probably drive tack's.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts