1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Definitely a beaut!

I found no reason to return my r1s to Remington for their free look over; believe that my time has expired. Also the supplied mags have never hiccuped. I use all my mags from about 8 manufacturers in both of my 1911s and a couple of times in other's. The only feed issues so far has been with Chip Mc shooting star.

Welcome to the forum and happy shooting!

·
Registered
626 Posts
I bought a new RI serial number RHN349XXX.

Positives:
- No FTF or FTE in 175 rounds
- Looks nice, fit and finish good

Negatives:
- 4" groups at 20 yds.
- Slide won't go into battery as documented here by previous owners, sticks out 3/4", must be pushed forward. Happens randomly.
- Shoots 6-8" to the left of POA. Can't really tell cause of the accuracy issue. Sights adjusted now they look funny on the slide with the rear all the way to the right in the dovetail. Front moved to the left. Adjustments worked however they are at their limit.

Called Rem CS and spoke to "Greg" a less-than-enthusiastic CS rep. When describing the issues he tells me "the 1911 was designed so that you might have to push the slide forward to engage completely". Really, I replied. Anyway that's a new one on me and no other 1911 I have or have had exhibits that characteristic.

Bottom line from Greg is that they will send out a shipping container and look at the gun. When I asked him if I should include a note in with the box, he said "they won't read it". I said, really. Ok, here we go. I will update the thread as time passes on.

He did mention they were super busy with the 700 recall so there may be other issues affecting his manner, though of course I was professional in my exchange with him as I am the one holding the less-than-stellar pistol.

And yes I read all the reviews and decided to buy one anyway. My pistol was made 1/2013, and the negative reviews seemed to be on early production models. I had hoped to avoid these issues.....
Sometimes u need to ask for someone else,this guy is clearly has the wrong job..
Sounds easily fixable however

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Long time no speak, sorry.
Gun was returned to me and not sure what if anything was done. I am now with some extra time and am working up hand loads. The battery issue still exists, so I am trying some stiffer springs. If I can't get this battery issue solved then off to Alchemy or someone who is a 1911 mechanic.
Accuracy seems better however I am obsessed with the battery issue and want more rounds down range to loosen this thing up a bit.
I will update again as I push more rounds through this gun.
I love the feel of it!

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Long time no speak, sorry.
Gun was returned to me and not sure what if anything was done. I am now with some extra time and am working up hand loads. The battery issue still exists, so I am trying some stiffer springs. If I can't get this battery issue solved then off to Alchemy or someone who is a 1911 mechanic.
Accuracy seems better however I am obsessed with the battery issue and want more rounds down range to loosen this thing up a bit.
i see that you are shooting reloads....
i would shoot a box of fresh factory ammo and see if it cures the failure to return to battery issue. :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It doesn't matter whether reloads or factory = same failure. It's a gun issue not a "me" issue. Others have documented the same here with pics.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I bought an R1 Carry for dirt cheap via the Friends and Family deal. Never owned a Remington other than 700's and 11-87's. For $550 out the door, including FFL transfer fees... I figured why not?

When I got the gun, I was blown away by the level of workmanship, the fit and finish. I thought I had the deal of the century and was certain the gun would be a shooter.

Unfortunately, it was a 4-5" at 25 yd gun at best regardless of what it was fed, so I got rid of it.

·
Premium Member
9,610 Posts
Unfortunately, it was a 4-5" at 25 yd gun at best regardless of what it was fed, so I got rid of it.
most 1.5" guaranteed semi custom 1911s are shot with a fixed mechanical devise. 4-5" groups off hand standing is a very respectable combat accuracy.:)

·
Registered
80 Posts
I wish I could complain about shooting 4" group at 20 yards, or 4-5" groups at 25 years. Those numbers would be great for me.

When I got back into shooting and got my Ruger 1911 cmd, I was shooting 6" left and 6" high. But after reading posts here and other articles, I have improved greatly, at least for me. Usually 3" groups at 12 yards, sometimes 1.5", sometimes not very good at all.

Reading the posts is almost as much fun as shooting.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wish I could complain about shooting 4" group at 20 yards, or 4-5" groups at 25 years. Those numbers would be great for me.

When I got back into shooting and got my Ruger 1911 cmd, I was shooting 6" left and 6" high. But after reading posts here and other articles, I have improved greatly, at least for me. Usually 3" groups at 12 yards, sometimes 1.5", sometimes not very good at all.

Reading the posts is almost as much fun as shooting.
I'm with you :). I don't know how anyone can be so precise at 25 yards off-hand. I'd feel lucky to get 5" grouping at that distance.

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
I'm with you :). I don't know how anyone can be so precise at 25 yards off-hand. I'd feel lucky to get 5" grouping at that distance.
I'm not interested in "combat" accuracy so I'm not shooting offhand. I enjoy putting a bunch of holes as close together as I can so I'm shooting off bags at 25 yds. All my semi customs will do 2" or less in my hands. I enjoy an inexpensive 1911 myself, but one that won't shoot any better than 4-5" at 25 yds just isn't an enjoyable experience for me to shoot.

I've learned over the years that $1500 and up 1911's will do that. Sub $1000 guns typically can't but occasionally you'll find one that does.

I expect that the next post will be of a 2" group that somebody shot 1 time with an R1.

·
Banned
461 Posts
I'm not interested in "combat" accuracy so I'm not shooting offhand. I enjoy putting a bunch of holes as close together as I can so I'm shooting off bags at 25 yds. All my semi customs will do 2" or less in my hands. I enjoy an inexpensive 1911 myself, but one that won't shoot any better than 4-5" at 25 yds just isn't an enjoyable experience for me to shoot.

I've learned over the years that $1500 and up 1911's will do that. Sub $1000 guns typically can't but occasionally you'll find one that does.

I expect that the next post will be of a 2" group that somebody shot 1 time with an R1.
What is it you enjoy from economy priced 1911's that you dont get from your "semi-custom" guns? Yes I am your next poster who has done just that too..... And my R1 likes its cheap factory mags better than fancy pants namebrand mags too. Folks on this board are amazing. "Look I bought the econo model and its not as good as my safe full of tricked out guns. See it proves Remington is junk and my Dan Wesson is the best and it only took my spending $600 to prove it....."

·
Banned
13,565 Posts
What is it you enjoy from economy priced 1911's that you dont get from your "semi-custom" guns? Yes I am your next poster who has done just that too..... And my R1 likes its cheap factory mags better than fancy pants namebrand mags too. Folks on this board are amazing. "Look I bought the econo model and its not as good as my safe full of tricked out guns. See it proves Remington is junk and my Dan Wesson is the best and it only took my spending $600 to prove it....."
Nah. I like guns that shoot tiny little groups. The problem is that it's very difficult to find inexpensive guns that can. Like I said....you'll find one occasionally that will, but for the most part, they won't. Ergo, I end up buying guns that will. They typically cost in excess of $1500 or so. I'm not a Remington hater. As well put together as the gun was... I was very surprised it wouldn't do any better than what it did.

·
Registered
437 Posts
If it still has a battery problem call them again and put a note in the package. My experience with their CS was very good. Don't let them off the hook. The extractor is probably the problem. With the recoil spring removed you should be able to point it at the ceiling and point it at the ground and the slide should go into battery.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Funny you say that Charlie. I have tried an 18lb and 20lb recoil spring and it will now hesitate but go into battery with that 20lb'er. I will try your trick, and then get in touch with Remington again, unless the extractor is an issue that I can fix myself and save the trouble of sending it back.

·
Registered
71 Posts
It doesn't matter whether reloads or factory = same failure. It's a gun issue not a "me" issue. Others have documented the same here with pics.
Clyde,

I had a few FTF/FTR problems with my R1S, but it was rampant with my Sig 1911 RCS. I solved the problem with the R1S by changing ammo - found that there was a slight lip where bullet was pressed into the casing on the Fiocchi .45 ACP Ball ammo I was using so switched to Federal, Winchester, and Blazer - that helped tremendously.

Also got some Wilson 47D mags - now - after over a 1000 rounds thru my R1S, have no issues with it, even with Fiocchi, unless I use one of the stock Remington or MecGar mags I have. As for the Sig, had to send it back to them twice to get the feed ramp polished and they finally had to change the slide - the fit was too tight to allow proper cycling. Working much better now - but also had to replace the stock Sig officer's model mags with Wilson Combat and Chip McCormick Shooting Star mags to get flawless cycling.

Have no issues with the accuracy of either pistol, they both exceed my capabilities. Hope you have been able to get some resolution to your problems. I'd guess that some of the attitudes in Illion NY now are due to the upcoming shift of manufacturing operations to Huntsville, AL. They aren't very happy - we don't expect many of them to make the move here and local hires are already being made for some of the key positions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Called Remington today and had a nice conversation with a young lady who will arrange for repair #2 of this pistol.

Meantime I bought a Series 80 Colt stainless, rattles, supposedly not shot too much, and fired great for me. Not nearly as tight as the Remington, but worked.

I will keep the updates coming. And above Sir, the issue is not with ammo it's with the gun. And yes I have changed mags around. Thanks for your suggestions.

·
Registered
200 Posts
R1S Enhanced...Failure to return to battery

I have a R1S Enhanced purchased new three days ago that will not return to battery. The slide catches internally, leaving about a 1/4" gap between the face and the barrel. I've contacted Remington and am waiting for a response. This is not a "normal" issue with any 1911 I've ever owned, including my other Remington R1S government model.

I'm very disappointed at the lack of quality control exhibited by this American manufacturer, seems that Remington is another company that has turned engineering and manufacturing over to accountants.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My newly acquired R1 is used, but has not been shot at all. Maybe 25 rds. If I shoot using the tip of my trigger finger, Will take out the x ring, if i let it slide to the first joint the groups open up and move left and down 4 to 5 inches. Make sure of your finger placement. Taught to me by a couple of very experenced IDPA shooters.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I am finding the barrel link pin is starting move a little side to side after a few months and is concerning me on the sideways drift my shots have been showing. I am an experienced Army shooter, I may have to address it sometime later this year but most of my accuracy problems have to deal with finger tip control and forearm flexing while pulling the trigger. I noticed a two to three mm drift pulling toward my shooting hand. Been usung a pushing motion with pulls to compensate. Try dry firing while you are sitting around and working on muscle memory mechanics.

·
Registered
10 Posts
When I first got my R1 I was really disappointed with it. I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Several months later I purchased a Colt Commander and my accuracy with THAT pistol was MUCH MUCH better! I also found that I could shoot my wife's Kimber way better than the Remington. So looking at all 3 guns...what I found was that the Colt and Kimber pistols had longer triggers. The R1 has a REALLY short trigger. After replacing the short trigger with a Wilson Combat long trigger, it behaved like a completely different gun. It is now my favorite gun to shoot.

As far as not going into battery....I've seen it happen twice with my R1 but by that time I had around 4,000 rounds through it. I dropped in an 18 lbs Wilson Combat recoil spring and haven't seen it happen since. Hope this helps.

21 - 40 of 90 Posts