1911Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
What reviews have you seen that gave the R1 a bad score? If you look online at the forums such as this one or others you'll more times than not see extremely biased opinions, both pro & con. Instead of "listening" to random comments on a online forum and basing your decision just on that, go to your LGS and pick up a Remington R1, look it over, work the action, inspect it closely and come to your own conclusion. Pick up other 1911's, and check them out the same way. Compare them to the R1. That is the only fair way of judging.

All I can say is I bought my standard R1 several months ago and other than for the first couple hundred rounds "break in", it functioned flawlessly. At this moment, Remington is offering a $75 rebate, and IMO for the money you cannot go wrong on a mil-spec entry level 1911 .45. The only downfall I can think of regarding the R1 is although it comes with decent 3 dot sights, you're limited with aftermarket sights because the dovetail cuts are not novak cuts. They're GI dovetail cuts.

·
Registered
32 Posts
What reviews have you seen that gave the R1 a bad score? If you look online at the forums such as this one or others you'll more times than not see extremely biased opinions, both pro & con. Instead of "listening" to random comments on a online forum and basing your decision just on that, go to your LGS and pick up a Remington R1, look it over, work the action, inspect it closely and come to your own conclusion. Pick up other 1911's, and check them out the same way. Compare them to the R1. That is the only fair way of judging.

All I can say is I bought my standard R1 several months ago and other than for the first couple hundred rounds "break in", it functioned flawlessly. At this moment, Remington is offering a $75 rebate, and IMO for the money you cannot go wrong on a mil-spec entry level 1911 .45. The only downfall I can think of regarding the R1 is although it comes with decent 3 dot sights, you're limited with aftermarket sights because the dovetail cuts are not novak cuts. They're GI dovetail cuts.
Great post

·
Registered
315 Posts
Well I guess I might reconsider. The only thing is I see a bunch of the good reviews about the enhanced version. But if this trickles down to the GI then I might go for it
Just get one, at the price you can't go wrong. Most of the people on forums who are parroting bad things about the R1 have never owned or shot one.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

As stated before, the ones I found were from a few years back which is why I’m not just putting it out of the fight. I would go to my LGS and try it out, but in my area this gun isn’t as popular. They like to keep the more expensive ones on the shelves like Colt, Kimber, Springfield, etc. Something like the R1, when you ask, they either have to order it or look to see if another store has it. So it’s not like I’m basing my decision completely off of comments, I just don’t have access to see for myself that maybe you do. My prior 2 purchases I did exactly that. I was able to go in and feel the gun and look for imperfections. I did still look for reviews but that was just to check for any catastrophic failures or major reliability issues people were having which is essentially what I’m doing here

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
I do understand that no quality control is basically like picking numbers from a hat, but that’s why I’ve asked opinions because I have heard about their customer service as well. The last few have said theirs have run great so that leaves me to think that the quality is there without checking. This gun is basically going to be a beater gun, but I’m not going to treat it like dirt either. So as long as it functions properly after the break in period then I’ll be happy. It’s just that small chance that I will get a bad apple that bothers me

Also, what is the difference between the defender series and the regular Mil-Spec on the Springfield?
Well.. I have two of the base model R1's, and don't have any complaints about them. They are both solid guns that are reliable.

The Defender is the same gun as the Milspec. I mean it is literally the same gun. The only difference is that it is being sold in a lesser package. One gun, one cardboard box, one mag, and one pair of plain wood checkered grips.

Where as buying the gun in the normal Milspec package, would get you the gun, two mags, two pair of grips, a plastic box, and probably the useless holster and slightly more useful mag carrier.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well.. I have two of the base model R1's, and don't have any complaints about them. They are both solid guns that are reliable.

The Defender is the same gun as the Milspec. I mean it is literally the same gun. The only difference is that it is being sold in a lesser package. One gun, one cardboard box, one mag, and one pair of plain wood checkered grips.

Where as buying the gun in the normal Milspec package, would get you the gun, two mags, two pair of grips, a plastic box, and probably the useless holster and slightly more useful mag carrier.
Well ironically enough I did get to inspect the defender today after another failed attempt to find the R1 and the fact that it’s a lesser package doesn’t really bother me. I don’t admire gun boxes or cases as much, I have tons of grips and plenty of magazines for it. I’ll just have to do a price comparison. At this point I’m pretty convinced that the R1 will be a good choice as well. Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Well I guess I might reconsider. The only thing is I see a bunch of the good reviews about the enhanced version. But if this trickles down to the GI then I might go for it
My first R1 was a 9mm enhanced. I liked it so much that I wanted an enhanced in 45 but found a good deal on the standard R1S(GI). That was over a year ago and the R1S has been reliable through 1500 rounds, and just as accurate. The only thing I had to do was replace the recoil spring at about the 500 round mark as it was getting pretty weak. For being series 80s, both my R1s have great triggers but the R1S is a bit lighter and definitely more crisp.

Also, I replaced the firing pin stops on both, with EGW parts. I had to do this on the 9mm enhanced to fix erratic ejection. Didn't experience any issues with the R1S but since the stop was not a great fit, I replaced it just because I wanted it to fit perfect.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 2 recent production Government (Blue & SS) models and a model they call Carry and they are as well made and accurate as my Springfields, Colt, Sig, Kimber, RI ect.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Rem R1 for Carry

Hey guys, I’m currently in the market for a new 1911 GI style to eventually make my carry gun....
I'd not. No way without at least 500 trouble free rounds through it. As much as I love my 1911's, I mostly carry PPQ Navy. More reliable, and more bullets, less weight and complexity.

I also carry a Springfield EMP, but it passed 700 rounds no errors (properly maintained). I also shot it without cleaning to see how far before it would become unreliable... around 400 rounds of blazer brass over 4 sessions. My hands become instantly dirty later in the test. Size, weight and handling ofthe EMP makes this an excellent choice, may want to check it or it's larger cousins out.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Reviews on the R1 are all over the charts.
Yes, I do appreciate that a lot of sour reviews are just how the internet rolls.
I also understand that people who are delt a bad one make way more noise than the happy customer.

But here's my deal. I don't have a brother in law working at the Remington plant. My home town ain't in the same zip code. My dad didn't carry one in The Big One.

Why in the world would I buy a pistol that I would have to be buried with because no one else would ever want to take a chance on.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Reviews on the R1 are all over the charts.
Yes, I do appreciate that a lot of sour reviews are just how the internet rolls.
I also understand that people who are delt a bad one make way more noise than the happy customer.

But here's my deal. I don't have a brother in law working at the Remington plant. My home town ain't in the same zip code. My dad didn't carry one in The Big One.

Why in the world would I buy a pistol that I would have to be buried with because no one else would ever want to take a chance on.
A lot of GIs and Doughboys carried Remington 1911s

·
Registered
32 Posts
I really like my R1S. Very high quality and good accuracy now that my trigger has been tuned. The only flaw I can finds is that the extractor is a bit short and does not fit flush with the end of the slide. Would over a blue R1 but don't want to spend the money for it at the moment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have two R1 commanders and they are great. After buying and shooting the first one, I liked it so much I bought a second one. My intent is to leave one stock and use the other for experimental modifications.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have 2019 R1 and like it better than the SA Milspec I have. It shoots JHP and FMJ no issues. I prefer the sights. I heard the R1 sights were plastic but mine were metal. I replaced them with meprolights night sights. No sight pusher needed. Just loosen Allen on sights and they slide off and replaced.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I have a full size Carry that I bought a few years back and its been flawless , has front night sights and some checkered front grip , nice grips . never a problem . I see real good prices on the standard guns I would buy one , shop look at a few compare , they are not Wilson guns . I think a base Colt 45 are at a very buy.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought a standard at a good price and took it to the range to try it out. I couldn't get it to chamber a round. It would strip out a round and it would stop when it hit the feed throat. I couldn't force the slide forward. Took it home and put some dummy rounds in the mag and tried cycling it no feed. I looked at the feed throat and it had a spot where the noses were hitting. I could see it because the feed throat was parkerized. That was what was stopping the feeds. I polished away the parkerizing and lightly buffed the feed throat and it works flawlessly. Remembering this might net you a bargain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I would not hesitate to buy another Remington 1911 R1 in .45 ACP. I have two of them that function 100% perfectly since new in the box, one R1 Standard and one R1S Stainless. I'm thinking about buying another one since Remington has expanded on their model selection.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bought a standard at a good price and took it to the range to try it out. I couldn't get it to chamber a round. It would strip out a round and it would stop when it hit the feed throat. I couldn't force the slide forward. Took it home and put some dummy rounds in the mag and tried cycling it no feed. I looked at the feed throat and it had a spot where the noses were hitting. I could see it because the feed throat was parkerized. That was what was stopping the feeds. I polished away the parkerizing and lightly buffed the feed throat and it works flawlessly. Remembering this might net you a bargain.
I had the exact same thing happen to mine. Before firing it for the first time I tried hand cycling some full weight dummy rounds. The round would hit the frame ramp and stop and not budge. It happened with almost every round. So I lightly polished the frame ramp taking care not to round off the sharp edge at the top and that was all it needed to feed perfectly. That gun now has exactly 5,568 rounds through it without a single jam. It runs like a swiss watch. It just needed to have the roughness of the frame ramp smoothed out. I tested it with a few different kinds of hollow points including golden sabers and hydra shoks and then some flat nose full metal jacket stuff and everything fed smoothly.

21 - 40 of 56 Posts