1911Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased 3 R1s and a Marlin 1895 in the last few years and all are excellent!
granted Remington has had some issues when they 1st moved down south!

Having spent 39 yrs. of my life in a major farm equipment manufacturer I will have to say that anytime a new product or revision and or a new work force is involved there WILL BE PROBLEMS.

It is how those problems are resolved that counts!

it seems to me they have reigned in most of the complaints , as seen by very few complaints any more..

just another thought on the processes promoted my manufacturing GURUS in the last 20 yrs or so. is that they pretty much DO NOT have inspection any more as this was considered redundant!!

to say this is a good way to do things, I do not agree, problems that used to be caught in house now escape to the real world! these practices are utilized by almost every large manufacturer!

my experience has shown that these types of problems are also common globally!

all this in the race for the last dollar!!

·
Registered
652 Posts
On a related note: Remington has done a very good job with the little RM380 pistol design after they bought out Rohrbaugh.
Fit, finish, and reliability are very good for the low budget all-metal pocket pistol.
Bought mine new from CDNN for $199.99 plus shipping, and it included five magazines.

Attachments

·
Registered
17 Posts
2 months with new R1
Very good value. They can be found sub $500 on sale.
Pros: good fit. Close tolerances. Slide and barrel more than frame quality. Looks great. 2 màgs included. Surprisingly good sights.
Cons: soft finish. Frame is a little rough. Tiny feed ramp is coated and ball will hang up a few rounds until finish wears off.
Already had a few 8 and 10 round Chip McCormick mags that work fine.
Future plan to polish feed ramp a little and see how it smooths out. Might replace recoil spring with flat spring. The stock one works but just seems shorter than other 1911's I've had.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
2 months with new R1
Very good value. They can be found sub $500 on sale.
Pros: good fit. Close tolerances. Slide and barrel more than frame quality. Looks great. 2 màgs included. Surprisingly good sights.
Cons: soft finish. Frame is a little rough. Tiny feed ramp is coated and ball will hang up a few rounds until finish wears off.
Already had a few 8 and 10 round Chip McCormick mags that work fine.
Future plan to polish feed ramp a little and see how it smooths out. Might replace recoil spring with flat spring. The stock one works but just seems shorter than other 1911's I've had.
All of the springs in the R1s are garbage. I replaced all of mine with Colt springs. In fact, I replace the springs in any 1911 I have with Colt springs.

Tom

·
Registered
4,187 Posts
All of the springs in the R1s are garbage. I replaced all of mine with Colt springs. In fact, I replace the springs in any 1911 I have with Colt springs.

Tom
I can't say who makes Remington springs, or who makes Colt springs, but it's a good bet neither of them do. It's also a good bet that they were probably one in the same springs. There can't be many in the gun industry making gun springs. I would imagine they were Wolff.

·
Registered
315 Posts

Tom
Nonsense. I own an R1 and a Colt MKIV Series 70 and there is no difference in
the springs. I am mystified by the guys who talk the R1 down. Mine is top notch
in every respect.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I can't say who makes Remington springs, or who makes Colt springs, but it's a good bet neither of them do. It's also a good bet that they were probably one in the same springs. There can't be many in the gun industry making gun springs. I would imagine they were Wolff.
Oh, no, in my pistol, an R1S, they were VASTLY different. Night and day.

As for who makes springs for Colt, why wouldn't they make their own? It's not like they don't have the machines. But I suppose it's possible they contract them. Whichever their source, my pistols cycle a lot better with Colt springs.

Tom

·
Registered
174 Posts
I've got an R1 Ultralight Enhanced Commander. It has been great, and I wouldn't hesitate to get another if I needed it.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Brought home my GI model last month, and other than two FTF with the stock magazines, it does great. I fell in love with the 1911 at Ft Knox, KY in 1974 at Basic Armor Training, and have been waiting to get one forever...finally got it. Although it is a series 80 and not a true GI version, I'm not too upset about it. SWMBO likes the idea of a drop safety, even though I have explained the redundancy to her.

So far, just been running 230 FMJ with it - accuracy is so much better than the mix-masters the Army had me using for so many years. With about 100 rounds through it so far, it is at least combat effective at 15 yards, but that says more about me than it does the pistol.

This will be my carry piece when I have it broke in well - replacing my .38 snubby.

Well worth the money, and saving my pennies to get a commander version next.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd be comfortable taking mine to a gun fight. I've been looking for a sale on another Remington.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I had a couple of FTF with the first two Remington mags,but after that it runs great. I don't know current round count but figure 750-850 with zero problems. I was very happy with my pistol until a friend looked at mine and said like his it had a plastic main spring housing. Only think I could complain about. I promptly bought a steel one and now I am very happy with it. $500 with a $100 rebate.
TF

·
Registered
15,655 Posts
If considering purchase of a Remington you really must remove the slide and look at the vertical impact surface. If the "bow-tie" is so skinny you can barely see it or if it doesn't have one at all - walk away. This has been the biggest problem with the Remingtons so far. They make a huge beveled relief cut on top of the VIS which means that the lower barrel lugs take the impact at the bottom of the lug. Not good for barrel lugs. And there is no way to fix it short of welding up the frame. For osme reason Remington decided the original blueprint was just a "suggestion".

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had an R1. Didn't like it and traded it off for something else. It's been a good long time since then (10+yrs), but I remember a sloppy trigger and it tended to bite my hand down at the base. Not that great a shooter. I don't remember any FTF tho.

I really like the springfields. They are producing a heck of a pistol in the $800 range.

·
Registered
Remington 1911r1
2 Posts
I picked up my R1 in August. I couldn't get three shots with out it locking up. I started using Wilson Combat magazines and no more problems. It is the most accurate pistol I own. This new R1 is a lot better pistol than the 1911 I had many years ago. The sights work, the pistol does everything I need it to do. I just wish the magazines it came with were usable. But I am more than satisfied with what I paid for and what I received.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts