1911Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought my R1 back in March of 2013 and I have loved the performance its had on the range so far. Right now I have cash burnin a hole in my pocket and I wanted to look into a few upgrades for my R1, while still keeping the "government" style look.

The mini modifications I've done to my R1:
- Ed Brown - Arched mainspring housing
- Wilson Combat Shok Buff (on stock recoil guide rod)
- 8 rd Chip McCormick Shooting Star Mags. (Gvt style)

1) Front Night Sight: I have emailed Remington and asked about this but I wanted to see if anyone has actually installed a tritium night sight on their R1. I was told it would take some machining by a gunsmith to get it to fit right.
- Has anyone done it themselves or used a gun smith?
- What was the cost?
- What Brand?
- What Cut?
- Can you post a link of what one you used?

2) Drop In Barrels: Im not sure if the R1 is capable of accepting a 9mm Luger drop in barrel or not.
- Has anyone dropped in a 9mm Luger barrel to their R1?
- What was the brand? Any other modifications to the gun, besides a new magazine and bushing to get it to work?
- Changed Recoil Spring?
- Can you link what you purchased or any info on the matter?

3) Any other Mods: are there any other modifications that you can make or would suggest making to the R1? I think it is a fine shooting pistol and the only other thing I have really considered is an Ambidextrous Safety. Since I like the quality I'd probably go Ed Brown of most add-ons. Slide stop and mag release don't bother me and I'd probably keep those the same.
- Has anyone had success with any brand thumb safety over another?
- Any other suggestions that you may have?

To those who post, Thank you very much ahead of time! :D

- Andrew

·
Registered
738 Posts
I have 3 upgrades planed for my standard model Remington R1. First upgrade will be to replace the flat mainspring housing with an arched checkered one. Next, a checkered wide spur hammer. And last, a pair of Remington laminate double diamond grips that have the Remington logo medallion in the center.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,338 Posts
A conversion to 9mm would require an entirely new top end, plus a new ejector, and then the gun might not run because the frame feedramp varies by chambering; a .45 frame and a 9mm frame are not the same.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have 3 upgrades planed for my standard model Remington R1. First upgrade will be to replace the flat mainspring housing with an arched checkered one. Next, a checkered wide spur hammer. And last, a pair of Remington laminate double diamond grips that have the Remington logo medallion in the center.

Sounds like some good upgrades. Im sure you've seen the R1 with an arched mainspring housing online and I really like the look and the feel of it now too. Feels like I have more control. I went with an Ed Brown Arched and Grooved mainspring to match the other parts on the R1 like the slide release, safety and mag release. Ill list below the one I got and then I found another one with a lanyard loop that I may swap out after i think about it a bit more. Both have good reviews and the Ed Brown works great!

Ed Brown Arched MSH - http://www.midwayusa.com/product/59...1911-government-commander-grooved-20-lpi-blue

Sacro Arched MSH w/ Loop - http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/mainspringhousingarchedwloop.aspx

I also forgot to list a rubber finger groove grip i put on that fits under your wood panel grips. Cheap and Works Great! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002INNYU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A conversion to 9mm would require an entirely new top end, plus a new ejector, and then the gun might not run because the frame feedramp varies by chambering; a .45 frame and a 9mm frame are not the same.
Thank you for letting me know that. Im kind of new to the alteration world, but I figured that it wouldnt be a simple drop in like more modern guns. :)

·
Registered
967 Posts
Thank you for letting me know that. Im kind of new to the alteration world, but I figured that it wouldnt be a simple drop in like more modern guns. :)
I don't think anybody makes a .45 that can simply be converted to 9mm with simply a barrel swap.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't think anybody makes a .45 that can simply be converted to 9mm with simply a barrel swap.
not sure, i know with S&W M&P and glock you can do it with a .40 to a 9mm but i never cared to look into a .45 to anything else before.

·
Super Moderator
EDC: SIG P938.
22,338 Posts
You can generally convert a .40 to .38 Super, or a Super to 9mm without too much trouble, as the breechface dimensions are close enough for swapping only the barrel and (probably) the extractor.
You'll even see such "conversions" among factory guns, with a single breechface dimension used for two calibers. For years, Colt was apparently the only manufacturer of a 9mm-specific slide, but I suspect any new Colt 9mm uses the same breechface as their Supers.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How much hand fitting was required to fit the Ed Brown MSH? I have an R1S and I'd like to add the arched housing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
How much hand fitting was required to fit the Ed Brown MSH? I have an R1S and I'd like to add the arched housing.
No extra fitting was required for the MSH. i just took out the flat one and put in the ed brown. it feels great

·
Registered
66 Posts
The only sight manufacturer I could find that makes replacement sights For the R1 was XS sights , they make them for the standard R1 and the enhanced. I ordered the big dot for my 1911R1S. With the use of my vise and a brass punch the rear sight fit snuggley with no fitting/stoning. The front sight however took 4 hours of fitting to get in place i do not believe the dovetail on the FSP was right so I had to make it so. Thank god I have some small Arkansas stones.So if you plan on going with these sights be ready to spend some time on it or some cash at the smith. I will say that I was new to these sights I took a gamble because I wanted tritium on this build, and they are a great combat sight IMO.
Another route I believe you can go according to what I have read on this site is for $100 either of the two shops that Remington uses for platinum service on the R1 will cut Novak dovetails in your slide without voiding your warranty which would give you compatibility with a countless selection of replacement sights from any number of retailers .

1 - 13 of 13 Posts