1911Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I’m new to this forum with a 1911 question.

I collect military arms and was just given the opportunity to purchase a 1943 Remington Rand. I’m looking for a decent book to purchase on these pistols, I just haven’t found one yet. In the meantime, any thoughts on these few pics that I have. I don’t see any arsenal stamps on the frame (I don’t think so anyways). It appears in pretty decent condition with a little wear. It’s Parkerized and still waiting for a pic of the barrel. From what I’ve read, it appears to be an all original... thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
Most concerning issue is that barrel is either an aftermarket or someone removed the bluing from the barrel hood. Also grips are large ring exclusive for Colt. RR should have small ring Keyes contract grips.

·
Premium Member
5,877 Posts
Welcome to 1911forum.

Reactions: 28Intrepid

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. Glad you joined and provided a pistola for us to look at.

Would that not be a mid-late 1944 production Remington Rand?

A Remington Rand No. 1384648 lives here and I thought it was of early 1944 production. I could be mistaken and the experts will be along to correct us both.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you for the replies...

So, the barrel is in question as well as the grips... hmmmmm ok. This may not be the pistol for me then.

Also, it may be a 1944... I’m just going by what the seller said it was (1943). I haven’t looked the serial number up yet. I first wanted any and all feedback on this piece.

And... thank you for the welcome shout!

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hi filson. That's a pleasingly precise placing of the production date of 28intrepid's watch.

Would you have a notion about Remington Rand No. 1384648? I placed its production to be in about January of 1944, but there was a large amount of guessing involved on my part.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I would also question the safety as it's blued and the production guns were Parkerized. I suspect it has been replaced.

·
Administrator
75,143 Posts
I would also question the safety as it's blued and the production guns were Parkerized. I suspect it has been replaced.
It's common for Remington Rands to have a dark slide stop and thumb safety, so that isn't necessarily a red flag. The barrel and grips are the main two issues with this pistol. Clean, all-original Remington Rands are not scarce and there's little reason to go with one like this unless it's a really good deal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you for the info... a good price for ALL original but not for the above fore-mentioned issues. I will pass... I agree with you about better pieces out there for the price.

Thanks again,
D

·
Premium Member
1,993 Posts
For what it's worth, there appears to be rust on the main spring housing, the slide directly behind the rear sight and on the right side slide serrations. Also, reference books have become pretty pricey but there is one that is inexpensive and is a good starter book. Soft cover by Joe Poyer. "The Model 1911 and Model 1911A1 Military and Commercial Pistols". Second edition dated 2012. I picked mine up for less than twenty dollars

·
Premium Member
16,199 Posts
Looks like the Type III slide could be right. On the thumb safety, yes they were dark but that appears to be prepped and blued - soft around the edges. Here's an original one:
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Mlin... it appears you’re dead on. The barrel is original and marked “HS”. It looks like somebody removed the bluing and polished the top of the barrel... what a shame.

1Saxman... it looks blue to me as well. Makes no sense why somebody would blue the thumb safety, unless it was worn and they wanted it took look refreshed?

Thanks again to all..
D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
16,199 Posts
D, I think it was probably to put the correct type of safety on and that was the best one they found. Possibly the gun had been partly converted previously by replacing some parts like that, the grips, and polishing the blue off the barrel. This would have rendered it much less valuable so somebody saw an opportunity to flip it after doing a few 'corrections'. Now with all that, it looks to me like you have a basically good gun there if its at a price that takes its faults into account. Of course you have to decide as a collector if it is 'good enough' for your purposes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It’s a nice gun... but the asking price is too much. I’m picky when it come to originality as most collectors are I assume. There’s always plenty out there to choose from. I’m in no hurry... part of the collecting process is the thrill of the hunt! Thanks again for the info..

D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts