1911Forum banner

Remington Rand 1911a1 (late 1945) need help understanding what I have

2K views 23 replies 11 participants last post by  Sergio Natali 
#1 ·

I’ve posted photos above. I’ve picked up a RR for a fairly fine price, for Massachusetts, anyway. Serial no. Mid 2million dates it to 1945. All seems tight and right but I didn’t look at it as closely as I would have liked and may have missed some things and I’m fairly new to 1911s to begin with. Any help, comments, or opinions would be much appreciated. I made a post already but it was in the wrong area but I can’t delete it, so hopefully this one is in the correct spot. If more pictures are needed, I’ll be happy to add them.

#2 ·
I wish we had more photos of it. But if it was made in 1945 it has the wrong hammer. And I’m not sure if it’s the right slide. I just cannot tell if it is correct because of the photo.

#5 ·
As long as you didn't pay a premium price for a "correct" WWII 1911A1 what got there is a fine example of Uncle Sam's hardware that will give you hours of enjoyment at the range. Have fun!!

#9 ·
I would think that the vast majority of all the USGI pistols are not 100% original, in any case the trigger and the hammer are not time correct I think, I don't think that the receiver was refinished. It's a nice pistol, but if you really want to use it at the range sometimes, stay away from heavy loads but first replace the recoil spring with a fresh 16 lbs one.

#12 ·
someone offered just now but im more interested in a 9mm this is a 45

#13 ·
reprobate, what's your s/s Randall got to do with a WWII-era Remington-Rand? I fail to see the connection.
WeOutaHere54, just put new recoil and firing pin springs in your R-R if you decide to shoot it. I would leave it alone and put it aside as a safe queen. If you are not a collector of WW-II Colts or U.S. pistols, I would sell it to a collector and use the funds to buy a modern 1911 - Colt, Wilson Combat, or Night Hawk Custom...

#14 ·
reprobate, what's your s/s Randall got to do with a WWII-era Remington-Rand? I fail to see the connection.
WeOutaHere54, just put new recoil and firing pin springs in your R-R if you decide to shoot it. I would leave it alone and put it aside as a safe queen. If you are not a collector of WW-II Colts or U.S. pistols, I would sell it to a collector and use the funds to buy a modern 1911 - Colt, Wilson Combat, or Night Hawk Custom...
If I was going to shoot it, it wouldn’t be often nor excessive. I collect some other WWI-II things and decided to get a 1911 as well. But since this pistol here isn’t 100% original/matching a few rounds here there couldn’t hurt, right?

#15 · (Edited)
Op's link to imgur page with photos have enough detail that I believe the frame has original finish. Slide has a bit more wears (or just the heat-treat showing more dark spots) and harder to tell. But I think the slide is ok too. Obviously the hammer and trigger are from Colt. Slide stop, thumb safety, MSH all appear to be correct RR. Since it's already a mixmaster, as long as he didn't overpay, I don't have much concern about the slight finish variance between slide/frame.

#17 ·
If anything, the trigger and hammer (and likely the sear) are replacements. Otherwise, the pistol looks correct. Frame looks to be original finish. You might have a "lunchbox special".

#18 ·
A late Remington Rand (end of '44 through mid-1945) should have a slide with visible semi-circular grinding marks on the flats from the Blanchard machine they were surfaced with. If the slide is smooth or the grinding marks run horizontal then it's an earlier slide.

Reactions: WeOutHere54
#22 ·
Cool piece! I’m very confused about the slide on mine. On one had it looks completely different from what one should look like. However, I see one remnants of the circular markings (Blanchard?) by the muzzle area on top of the slide. I think it’s safe to say that my slide is not that which came with it from factory.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.